Importing Pro Tool sessions???

orangedog

Hi there,

thanks for your reply.

so i can export everything as an OMF then import it??

Rather than doing individual stems...

If you have Digitranslator then yes, otherwise consolidate all regions from bar 1, then export each track from PT, then import them into Logic.

Hi there,

thanks for your reply.

so i can export everything as an OMF then import it??

Rather than doing individual stems...

If you have Digitranslator then yes, otherwise consolidate all regions from bar 1, then export each track from PT, then import them into Logic.

If you do with consolidate/export, protools exports the regions without any plugins used on the track's effects inserts (and volume curves too i think).. I don't know how/if OMF export with Digitranslator handles plugin inserts and volume settings, but without them, you're tracks will always sound different and you have to do a lot again when importing in logic..

I don't know how/if OMF export with Digitranslator handles plugin inserts .

Plugins etc. are lost when going through AAF or OMF. Bouncing the tracks is the only real option to prevserve the audio (+automation).

Okay.. sounds as really usefull "pro" tools ;)

In that case.. a time saving option could be to count your tracks and create the same number of new tracks. Then route every track to an individual aux bus and on the new tracks you've created, select the used busses as inputs. Then you can record all the existing tracks back to the new tracks you've created. Doing that way, all plugin/volume/automation settings will be recorded, and you have to bounce/record only one time. When you're done recording all the tracks to the new tracks, you can use the export function as described above.. because everything is recorded into the new tracks, everything will be exported..

I don't know if this works on LE because of the 32 tracks limit. I'm not sure if you can record on tracks with no output assigned to it (if you get over the 32 tracks limit while creating the new tracks)..

I've never tried this (never converted ProTools sessions like this, but i was interested in this topic..) i've used protools a few years and i think this is a good trick to save a lot of time..

Just give it a try..

consolidate all your tracks from bar one (IMPORTANT)

then import them into your Logic session.

there was a similar thread just a few days ago.

AVOID OMF like the plague is my advice. Buggy, a hassle.

Plus, glorious Digidesign, who by the way helped develop OMF, charges an arm and a leg for their Digitranslator software (I believe it's 500 balloons). The Microsoft of Music...

avoid the hassle, consolidate files. We do it all the time, and that way you can open them in any DAW, anywhere.

best