Universal Audio Plug-in

You can get a PCI expansion chassis like the Magma:

http://www.magma.com/products/pci/index.html

Although that would be a lot of hardware to run... Some software. I just got a bunch of these plugs, they're not bad. For plugins.

Pultec EQ is nice. 1176 is OK. Guitar processor is cool...

Adds a lot of channel-specific latency though. I guess my computer is probably faster than the card? Compensation works fine for mixing...

That's a Quad Eight, isn't it?

Where did you get that? Those boards are legendary... I've never had a chance to hear one, let alone mix on one, but I've heard a lot about them over the years. How big is it?

Hey, why are you so worried about spending $500 on an FX unit when you can mix on that? You could probably get a mortgage on a Quad Eight...

That's a Quad Eight, isn't it?...

If it is, it's the oldest I've ever seen. I mixed on a Quad Eight Coronado when I was at Eastman. It was like heaven.

That "could" be an early API I suppose. They used a lot of those clear topped round switches. The ones with the little disc inside that flipped over to change color! Loved those.

Oh, OK...

IME, that 'old analogue sound' comes from one place... Old analogue gear. Some new analogue gear comes pretty close, but digital never seems to. Doesn't mean you can't get great results from it, it's just a different animal.

Hence me spending around $8k to date on my Soundcraft Delta 24, I guess, to preserve a bit of that stuff I heard from my parents' stereo when I was a kid. Probably a bit crazy in the ITB world, but I like my choices, and the results.

That's a Quad Eight, isn't it?...

If it is, it's the oldest I've ever seen. I mixed on a Quad Eight Coronado when I was at Eastman. It was like heaven.

That "could" be an early API I suppose. They used a lot of those clear topped round switches. The ones with the little disc inside that flipped over to change color! Loved those.

AllyMusicGirl, where did you get that picture? Is it a Quad Eight?

Hence me spending around $8k to date on my Soundcraft Delta 24

Are these good boards?

For the money I think they are. Modular, true balanced line inputs, good bus headroom, low crosstalk. Up there with the best small format mixers around, unless you want to go for an old Neve or API sidecar, which generally go for around $1k per channel. I only paid $2k for mine (24ch, 4 busses, 6 sends, 8 mono returns), and I spent the rest having Jim Williams at Audio Upgrades recondition it. I will have it back next week, so I don't know yet how that will change the sound. Maybe comparable to a Neotek series 1 or a TAC Scorpion (maybe others, these are the only ones I have tried) stock, although the original head amps are a little lacking by today's standards. Change those, re-cap, beef up the power supply, and you have a great board for tracking and mixing.

You can get an 8 channel one of these for around $500 if you look around a bit. You're in the UK, right? They're English boards (Herts somewhere IIRC), so there should be some kicking around there, and probably lots of techs about who are familiar with rebuilding and modding them.

They're not Quad Eights, however.