Looking for this sound...

Back in the old days I had an Emu ESI2000 sampler which had a filter on it which I loved. Essentially you could put any kind of sustained sound (vox/strings etc) through it mapped to the mod wheel and get beautiful sweeps.

I've never been able to achieve the same thing through other means and thought I'd ask around… essentially it sounded exactly like the opening synth of this Tori Amos song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUH5C_EKYKY

Some kind of comb/phase/formant thing going on. Does anyone have any thoughts about how to acheive this in Logic? Would love to have this in the aresnal! Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sounds like something with a self-oscillating filter. Try to slab a LP-filter on something, crank the resonance way up, and adjust the cutoff freq to find a sweet spot where it doesn't blow your guts out. Then try to experiment with modulating the cutoff, resonance or both with a mod wheel or LFO.

If you can't modulate with an LFO, I've come up with this super workaround. Just modulate the sound with a mod wheel and get your mother to modulate the mod wheel.