Anyone Run their Mixes Through Reel-to-Reel Machine?

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone here runs their stereo mixes though a reel-to-reel and then back into logic?

I've heard of people doing this as the final step for their mixes to, I presume, add some sort of 'analog' flavour to it.

I have a functioning 1/4-inch reel-to-reel machine and just haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

Later,

Hi dubstock,

Nice to hear you've tried that with great results. I will definitely try it some time. It's a shame to have a rugged old tape machine and lots of new tape, sitting there gathering dust.

I also want to use it to do some real tape-echo. In my old studio set-up, I'd patch it through the board and get some really cool delay going. Can't quite remember how I did it, but it was spacey!

Now, if I can just get the old spring reverb in my board working again, I'll be ready for authentic dub reggae! :)

Later,

What kind of deck do you have?

I know a lot of guys that do this (I'll do it when I work in a place where a good deck is available), but on high quality 1/2" machines. The benefits of printing to tape can be outweighed by the negative effects of a cheap or poorly set up deck...

Unless you're looking for this as a lo-fi sort of 'effect', in which case you may also consider bouncing individual tracks 'through' tape rather than the whole mix...

It's an Astrocom. Can't remember the model number as I'm at work right now. I would guess it's from the 70s. It runs at 3.75 ips and 7.5 ips. Got it for $20 at Goodwill and paid about $20 to get it fixed. Got several reels of 'sealed' ampex tape for $1 each at Active Surplus.

Yeah, that's an idea, to process some individual tracks. I'll bear that in mind.

I also have a Teac 80-08, 1/2 inch machine. It isn't working right now. It suddenly stopped recording, but would play fine and then the connector between the built-in DBX unit and the deck got crushed in the process of moving it. :(

Maybe some day I'll get it repaired, if time/money permits and I can somehow get more space in my basement "man-cave". :)

Bye for now,

Yes, I'll hold onto my tape machines. I've gotten rid of guitars and gear in the past. And, in some cases, it was a mistake. I try to be more careful about that now.

By-the-way, marcel72 had asked about the tape deck. I got more info from the back-panel. It says Astrocom | Marlux Inc., Model 407, Oneota (sp?), N.Y.

-allan