Logic Weird Timing and Quantize??

robpersaud

I am having trouble finding out why logic doesnt play back a midi drum part part exactly how it's played in?

I am using the EXS24 to create a kick and snare groove, I am playing it very loose and I can hear when I am playing it that it sounds very near to how I want it...

There is not Quantize set on the region, and no quantize set by default, yet logic seems to play the part back quite stiff, almost like it has been quantized.. so much so that i can tell straight away on playback how stiff it has become...?

Why is this?

Thanks in advance..

Have you checked the midi matrix to see if they actually are on the beats?

Yeah, thats the weird thing... they are not... nothing is set in extended parameters to quantize, I have even tried to do the same thing on a logic default page (using alt to load) and it does the same thing??

Could it be that logic is just a stiffer program than others like DP? this doesnt happen to me in DP?

I'm sorry this won't help, but I had to mention it - my perception of midi timing was a major factor in my switch to Logic after many years with DP. I always felt DP never played back what I played in and the hard quantize was even worse.

The only thing I can suggest that might affect your perception of un-quantized timing is to set your buffers as low as possible. Buffer latency can influence what you think you are playing vs how you perceive it upon playback.

When you select a midi region, do you see any quantize settings appear in the box upper left of the arrange? Logic's quantize can work before or after you play some midi. If you have accidentally chosen a midi quantize setting by clicking on the background and then fiddling with the Q options in extended parameters, that will pre-set a Q setting for any midi played after. To undo that, click the background and go up to that box and reset the Q options to off.