Free plug-ins

• 2 weeks later...

Slate has a new free plugin called "Revival"

You download their Virtual Mix Rack which comes with a trial of the full product, but the "Revival" console is free. Sounds great! Can add some really nice high end sparkle or punchy, thick (in a good way) lows

You'll need an iLok 2 though

Also, while not technically free (5, maybe 7 bucks?), if you buy any copy of Computer Music magazine you can download a TON of plug-ins and synths, and some of them are fantastic!

They are generally stripped down versions of bigger plug-ins but have no restrictions (i.e., can be used commercially) and have plenty enough features for great results

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Has anyone mentioned Tokyo Dawn Labs here?

Some excellent free versions of compressors and eqs they've created are really worth trying out.

They're a record label too, so the link below opens their music page, but if you scroll down to the "news" section, you'll se mention of their latest Nova eq, follow the links......Phew, this is long winded :)

http://www.tokyodawn.net/

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
It would be great if this freebie didn't require joining Hive, which seems to want a bunch of my facebook info and send me promotions which I'm not into at all. So - this is a no-go for me, unfortunately. Why can't you make it a straight download with nothing else required except that I register an account with Soundkore? 

• 4 weeks later...

This one is fabulous : ML-VST PG-8x, an emulation of Roland JX-8p .

1536933236_PG-8xicon.jpeg.e385df70974b507e40ffe84b354767ed.jpeg

Some things to be aware of but it works great ...

The Site

The KVR forum with lot of explanations

There is en AU version but for some reason the author have stopped development for this format. Still work anyway.

AU plug-in

Drop the "discontinued" AU plug. It's only the component, drop it into the component folder. 

It work fine for me .

Some user patches here : Patches

Be aware that not all the patches are ok, because off the discontinued AU version .

Have tried very nice ones :

PG-8X Patch Bank and PG-8X Patch bank 2 by DrewDale

• 2 months later...

I found some free gems - mostly piano's (acoustic and electric), but also Orchestral (I haven't tried those yet). They do not have many layers, and sometimes a bit chaotics in the stereo image, but they sound very natural and rich and real and they are very playable. In fact, they are the best free piano AU's that I've ever come across.

http://bcvsts.blogspot.nl/

707595673_pic2017-01-30at11_57_18.thumb.PNG.f4ebe29d1956ba1ce31f28c0a000e216.PNG

• 1 month later...