Free plug-ins

• 2 weeks later...
i am not too fond on the soundquality of the TAL line...looks nice ofc, but it sounds not up to par with latest software ( and HW i dont even dare to compare it with)

I completely and wholeheartedly disagree!!!

I've already started using the TAL synths for my tunes, just stick 'em through a virtual amp/pre-amp, add some verb, and they sound amazing to my ears. I prefer the tone in lots of ways to the Logic synths, the TAL synths sound more natural to me(whatever that means when talking about synths?!?).

The whole "free stuff sucks" argument about plugins is redundant, I keep even the most "rubbish" sounding freeware, just because you never know when it might be just the sound you need. Bad sounds can be awesome!

Just like to bump my favourite plugin of the 90's(which, much to my delight is now AU!):

http://www.prosoniq.com/audio-plugins/northpole-au/

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I quite like these

http://www.digitalfishphones.com/main.php?item=2&subItem=5

Smile

Problem is that they are not working on Intel.

Ah yes, these are on my G5 at home!

Have you tried the Tal Audio plugins? They are intel compatible! :-)

I use the original reverb because it is simple, this one is still nice though. I'd like to try the Tal-tube but havn't had time recently!

http://kunz.corrupt.ch/?Products:VST_TAL-Reverb_II

Hey I downloaded the Crystal synth and installed but I can't find it anywhere on my computer. spotlight cant find it either. does anyone know its location?

Spotlight won't find files or folders that are within the library folders unless you define a search that includes "system files". The plugin itself (Audio Unit version) will be in the components folder in either of these locations:

/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components

~/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components ("~" represents your home directory.)

Then there may be additional files (presets and such) in the application support folder(s). If i remember correctly, the installer for this plugins puts those files within a folder with the name "Green Oak" (The name of the developer's company).

J.

thanks jordito. found it, but I can't figure out how to access the instrument in logic. I tried copying and pasting the crystal.component file into the same location as all the other logic instruments (/Library/Applicationsupport/logic/sampler instruments) but it still doesn't show up in the Logic library.

thanks jordito. found it, but I can't figure out how to access the instrument in logic. I tried copying and pasting the crystal.component file into the same location as all the other logic instruments (/Library/Applicationsupport/logic/sampler instruments) but it still doesn't show up in the Logic library.

No need to do that. Third party AU plugins go in the components folder. They are accesible to Logic and all other apps that support that plugin format. In Logic, you are looking for the synth in the worng place. It won't be in the library (unless you make it show up there, but that's another story). What you need to do is load it from a software instrument channel strip. Go to the I/O section on a software instrument channel strip (in the mixer or inspector) and click the input slot (the upper one). You'll see a list of Logic instruments and near the bottom, you'll see "AU Instruments" . There you'll find a Green Oak Software submenu and within it the Crystal synth.

J.

touche, jordito. got it. so now i've downloaded the fish fillet plugin bundle posted on this thread, but it only saved to downloads, not anywhere logic looks for plugins. And these plugins are not synths, rather effects, so I assume they are accessed in the "inserts" plugins, yes? where do I put the folder so that i can access fish fillet effects as an insert? thanks.

touche, jordito. got it. so now i've downloaded the fish fillet plugin bundle posted on this thread, but it only saved to downloads, not anywhere logic looks for plugins. And these plugins are not synths, rather effects, so I assume they are accessed in the "inserts" plugins, yes? where do I put the folder so that i can access fish fillet effects as an insert? thanks.

Unfortunately, those plugins are PPC only so no use in trying to get them to work on an intel machine.

J.

Hi folks,

I recently bought the Kawai ex pro piano from these guys which is brilliant.

They have the following free instruments which can be used with the EXS24.

Free drums http://www.acousticsamples.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=27

Free Vipes http://www.acousticsamples.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=6

Free snare sounds http://www.acousticsamples.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=5

Hi folks,

I recently bought the Kawai ex pro piano from these guys which is brilliant.

They have the following free instruments which can be used with the EXS24.

Thanks for the links man, those drums were just the 16-bit, dirty, snare-bleed-filled samples I've been searching for!

And I can never resist vibe or marimba samples

:D