ok then WHAT interface should i be using!

ok been experiencing some really unacceptable issues lately whilst producing so ive been given the heads up that M-AUDIO is the reason im experiencing this....

so if the M-Audio Fast track pro cant do it for me what kind of audio interface should i be looking for guys i would like your suggestions please!

to give u an idea of what im looking for is just something in the same class as the M-Audio fast track but with a higher standard. ive been told to stay away from USB and go with firewire. i need all the same plugs as the fast track by the way ive learnt not to assume they all have the midi ports but please include this when discussing your answers.......

any replys will be GREATLY appreciated thanks i really need to get rid of this m-audio crap.

I guess it depends on what your budget is, but I'm a fan of my MOTU Ultralight. It's in the $500 range, but the converters are fantastic, 2 mic/instrument inputs as well as MIDI. I made the jump from an M-Audio box similar to yours and the difference will amaze you. You'll feel as though someone just pulled two big wads of cotton out of your ears.

Other recommendations would be the RME Fireface 400 or 800 or an Apogee product...all dependent on your budget.

Depends on your budget. Unless you are very tech savvy however I would stay away from the Motu products for the following reasons:

1. I have been called three times in the last year to troubleshoot Logic-MOTU based systems. In every case the issue was related to MOTU's Console application which controls some routing and IMHO is very confusing to many.

2. MOTU's tech support guys in my experience have an attitude that ranges from bored/disinterested to smarmy/surly.

3. Personally I do not believe the converters are so hotsy-totsy but that of course is subjecctive.

What is your budget? If healthy I would say Apogee Ensemble or RME Fireface. If not so healthy, Echo Audiofire or Presonus Firepod.

Either way you want either PCI or Firewire for audio, not USB. It is just not a robust enough protocol to trust for something as critical as an audio interface IMHO.

Edited by Ashermusic

I went with the presonus firepod. It was about $500 and it's been very easy to use.

I'm not sure if this is the case with other interfaces, but there is no software to install (for OS X) - plug it in and select it as your audio interface in Logic.

well, "Certified Trainer" is correct about MOTU's "customer support." It is easily one of the worst on the business. He is also right about the Apogee and RME.

my answer revolved around budget, (recommending the MOTU stuff), but if you can spend more, take "Certified Trainer's" advice and get the Apogee by all means!

I use Apogee convertors before I go to my MOTU, but use the Traveler's A/D converters and find that they sound just fine for most uses.

Also, that Presonus looks nice for $500.

Again, the MOTU stuff is really reliable, which is why I haven't had to deal with their HORRENDOUS "customer support."

1. I have been called three times in the last year to troubleshoot Logic-MOTU based systems.

Yes, I gave up on Motu years ago. Driver reliabilty is marginal as witnessed by the many posts you see regarding the hardware reset issue.

2. MOTU's tech support guys in my experience have an attitude that ranges from bored/disinterested to smarmy/surly.

That is, when you can actually get a hold of someone.

I would sya Apogge Ensemble or RME Fireface.

Almost 7 years of service here with my RME stuff and not one driver issue, ever.

You should consider whether you want firewire or PCI. Keep in mind that if you go FW, then it's best if the interface lives on its own bus, but it's not absolutely necessary. You haven't said what your Mac is.

Word of warning with the Ensemble by Apogee...

Great sound, nice potential interfacing with Core Audio, but has issues with FW800 HD's being connected at the same time, iSights being connected at the same time, can drop audio for no reason and a restart followed by turning the unit on/off is the only way to hear audio again, has managed to totally crash my MacPro and G5 to the point where I'm ordered to hold the power button down for 6 seconds!!!

Both machines running latest of OSX and Ensemble/Maestro software. Could be a faulty unit...mmm.... I've had 6/7 years of complete realibilty out of a MOTU 896 Mk1 before upgrading, if it wasn't for the sound quality I would go back!

re the Apogee problems-

doesn't that sum it up right now in the industry? I sometimes long for the days when I bought a hardware synth and just plugged it in.

Software compatibility problems are frustrating and time consuming.

My experience with failed stuff (like the BFD/white noise issue) has drained hours of creativity from my time.

That being said, on one hand you have a great sounding unit (Apogee), and one that works most of the time (MOTU) but doesn't sound QUITE as good, except when it doesn't work and customer support sucks (MOTU).

Seems like we're a bunch of high paying beta-testers sometimes, as the sheer existence of this very thread seems to prove.

Just my two cents: take whatever WORKS, and make music. It sounds good enough. Better than having the Gucci unit that doesn't work!

Note to manufacturers: GET YOUR S*^(^(*^%%%T TOGETHER!

all the best

NW

Get this nickweston, last night I was trying to name a marker when Logic crashed on me. I reopen my session name my marker again & guess what? Crashed again. trying the same thing two more times everytime Logic crashed, 4times In all + I had a slight problem with my midi set up in the environment which Sir David helped me out :D thanks again.

Last month I was thinking of buying an interface so I created a thread Apogee vs. RME with little response. fearing that this would append. I am a musician not a computer guy. Last night I wasted 3 hour configuring my machine without recording one note. I&I am a loyal Logic user who just bought an expensive unit not knowing if there will be a Logic pro 8.

If there are any Apple guy & gals reading this thread, please realize that I&I (we) loyal Apple customer with a macbook pro, Logic Pro 7 + Apogee Ensemble is not to pleased with your marketing practices.

Regards,

mas

thanks so much for yoru help guys

-im new to all this so i dont understand a few things firstly what is IMHO?

-next thing ive just spent SO much money setting my system up MONEY is a real issue

-i currently am running it on a 1.57GHZ PPC mac min, 1gb RAM. i know i know its pretty weak but im not having any issues with the computer just the m-audio.

-so budget wise would u all say i need to decide between the Presonus Firepod and the Echo Audiofire????

thanks so much for yoru help guys

-i currently am running it on a 1.57GHZ PPC mac min, 1gb RAM. i know i know its pretty weak but im not having any issues with the computer just the m-audio.

-so budget wise would u all say i need to decide between the Presonus Firepod and the Echo Audiofire????

All the sudden NI updated the drivers for there Audio Kontrol 1, 196k USB and jog shuttle and transport controler (with templates for all apps you can think of), cool for djing and only 300 tops.,

i had problems checking it out with logic last time due to driver issues, had pops and stuff, worked fantastic with live5 and 6, and now i hear they ironed things out finaly wiht logic., the unit does sound realy good but everyone must be right, latency does buld up if your running power to a USB device., although depends too.

I loved it actually, i used to put it near my guitar and controled the transport of logic with it, it comes with software which give you a pop up menu above in the finder menu and had allot of defualt templates, like Final Cut Pro, iTunes, logic, Trakter, Cubase etc ect. (not pro tools ofcourse) but allot, over 50.

http://www.nativeinstruments.de/typo3temp/pics/79702b241e.jpg

http://www.nativeinstruments.de/typo3temp/pics/70b3f78b3e.gif

Would be cool if you can find a place that lets you try the products for like 10-15 days with money back if not happy with it.

What is BFD? Did you ever figure out your white noise problem? I have negative 32 to 36 noise coming through the mike sounding like random wind noise. No matter which mike, which speakers, which interface, board, no board. What's up with that? Also, in this thread I see lots of references to not using USB for the interface. Does that mean midi interface, too? I'm using Rosetta 800 firewire for audio and Motu's MTPAV for midi. Worked fine til last night, I downloaded Firmware from Apogee to get rid of the latency (worked great!) but now the midi in the other piece doesn't work anymore! Sssssssup wit all that? 20 grand out the door with all this stuff! What now?

(MacPro 8 core/Rosetta 800/Neve 1073DPD/Neumann M147 Tube/AkG 414/MTPAV midi timepiece/Presonus Central Station/Dynaaudio powered speakers/Mogami and Monster cables/Yamaha 88 key Clavinova or Triton for controller/ME at the controls who is 99% songwriter/singer/instrumentalist and 1% tech) THanks for your thoughts everyone!

re the Apogee problems-

doesn't that sum it up right now in the industry? I sometimes long for the days when I bought a hardware synth and just plugged it in.

Software compatibility problems are frustrating and time consuming.

My experience with failed stuff (like the BFD/white noise issue) has drained hours of creativity from my time.

That being said, on one hand you have a great sounding unit (Apogee), and one that works most of the time (MOTU) but doesn't sound QUITE as good, except when it doesn't work and customer support sucks (MOTU).

Seems like we're a bunch of high paying beta-testers sometimes, as the sheer existence of this very thread seems to prove.

Just my two cents: take whatever WORKS, and make music. It sounds good enough. Better than having the Gucci unit that doesn't work!

Note to manufacturers: GET YOUR S*^(^(*^%%%T TOGETHER!

all the best

NW

wow

Sunny i agree with him in a way, we have to pay a high prices to save time and headaches., due to copy protection schemes and other driver issues by some companies to limit there products towards there own upgrade paths we all suffer regardless how good the technology gets.

If you need advise, this is the forum to ask for anything affordable outside a 20k Pro Tools digi rig with Logic, even the Apple forums are pounded with trolls who seem to support products that failed over day to day, sometimes i think they are Reps or people who got free gear to support it., Politics and compatition seem to play the role if many of the issues with audio gear these days.

I agree with you Logic Pro.

That is why you will see me at other forums as I will try and get a well rounded view from as many folks as I can, and then do some research myself to try and cover my bases the best I can.

After awhile you will see a certain product crop up as musicians vent frustration as it couses problems with their system, so no matter how those trolls push their product, if you do your research you won't find yourself wasting money..:)

I wouldn't use a USB device of any sort.

Most still only transfer at USB1.1 speeds, there are a couple of USB2.0 devices out there, but the protocol does not make for good event timing, and is susceptible to bus interruptions.

Go with a firewire device.

Speaking from experience, the Presonus Firebox works well, drivers are updated regularly.

The M-Audio 410 is ok, drivers also under constant revision.

RME are expensive, but probably offer the best bang for the buck.

If you do a search on www.soundonsound.com, they regularly review audio interfaces and provide an invaluable service.

I wouldn't use a USB device of any sort.

Most still only transfer at USB1.1 speeds, there are a couple of USB2.0 devices out there, but the protocol does not make for good event timing, and is susceptible to bus interruptions.

Go with a firewire device.

Speaking from experience, the Presonus Firebox works well, drivers are updated regularly.

The M-Audio 410 is ok, drivers also under constant revision.

RME are expensive, but probably offer the best bang for the buck.

If you do a search on www.soundonsound.com, they regularly review audio interfaces and provide an invaluable service.

Thanks for the replies everyone... For audio interface, I am using firewire (Rosetta 800) but that unit doesn't have any way to hook up midi, so I'm using USB for the midi part only, with the Motu MTPAV. Is that okay? All of a sudden, it's working again, by the way. But would using USB for midi have anything to do with the weird mike wind sound? Sometimes the midi lights flash randomly like they're freaking out, even when it's working okay.