rythmic gating

gizroc1mac.com

hi im new to logic and i want to know more about rythmic gating. using side chaining. i know the basic of where i have a midi pattern and i put a noise gate on that channel and side chain it to the audio track. now i have both tracks playing at the same time, now all i want to da is mute the audio track but still have the gated track still playing. but when i mute tha audio track the gated track does not play as well... what am i doing wrong?

hi im new to logic and i want to know more about rythmic gating. using side chaining. i know the basic of where i have a midi pattern and i put a noise gate on that channel and side chain it to the audio track.

I don't see how you could do MIDI gating with that setup.

To do MIDI gating, you use an Audio Instrument track, where the MIDI Region is, and you use a "Send" to send that audio pre-fader to a Bus. You can lower the volume or mute the channel strip if necessary.

Then you place the Noise Gate on the Audio or Audio Instrument track you want to gate, and set its side-chain to the previous bus.

am i correct in asuming you are muting the actual sequencer track, and not the channel strip? if you do that, the the track is simply not played, be it to through your output, or be it into your side chain.

what you need to do (if memory serves) is to mute the channel strip (the thing in the bottom left corner).