the environment is so holding me back.....

bigbolo73

i am so confused w/ the environment settings. i have read the environment section front to back, i have even tried to set up an environment blindly. the apple discussion site have told me to read the manual or order the dvd....why?

anyway....i'm having a real hard time understandind how to set this up. if someone can please help me out or at least point me to somewhere or someone that can help. i have a fantom xr rack w/ 6 srx cards, a motif es8, m-audio pro 88, and an mv8000. now i was told that i have to setup multi instruments for each srx card outside of the original banks for the fantom xr. the same for the es8. i have tried that but i get the feeling it's just not right. i've setup an input diagram and i see my control surface and it has my motif w/ 2 ins and 2 outs in it already. i don't think that's right either cuz i only have 1 midi in and out so i used just the regular 4 ins and 4 midi outs of my surface to run the virtual wires to all the multi diagrams. but i still feel this is not right. can someone please help on how to setup the environment w/ what i have. i've been analog for yrs now and i thought it was time to add digital to stay current w/ the music world....BUT THIS SH!T IS CONFUSING. and i have project that are due soon. please please please help a fellow musician out instead of telling me read the manual or buy the dvd. the help would be truly appreciated.

i am so confused w/ the environment settings. i have read the environment section front to back, i have even tried to set up an environment blindly. the apple discussion site have told me to read the manual or order the dvd....why?

anyway....i'm having a real hard time understandind how to set this up. if someone can please help me out or at least point me to somewhere or someone that can help. i have a fantom xr rack w/ 6 srx cards, a motif es8, m-audio pro 88, and an mv8000. now i was told that i have to setup multi instruments for each srx card outside of the original banks for the fantom xr. the same for the es8. i have tried that but i get the feeling it's just not right. i've setup an input diagram and i see my control surface and it has my motif w/ 2 ins and 2 outs in it already. i don't think that's right either cuz i only have 1 midi in and out so i used just the regular 4 ins and 4 midi outs of my surface to run the virtual wires to all the multi diagrams. but i still feel this is not right. can someone please help on how to setup the environment w/ what i have. i've been analog for yrs now and i thought it was time to add digital to stay current w/ the music world....BUT THIS SH!T IS CONFUSING. and i have project that are due soon. please please please help a fellow musician out instead of telling me read the manual or buy the dvd. the help would be truly appreciated.

Go to www.swiftkick and download the Environmental Toolkit (free). Also for more basic the Apple Pro Training Series bood Logic Pro 7 ad Logic Express has a good chapter in which he starts you wirth a blank envirnment and builds it.]

The ggod news is that with the running of the Logic Setup Assistant it is no longer as necessary to understand it thoroughly to get going.

BTW, Steve Horelick's training facility is in NYC and he knows this app like the back of his hand so you might want tpo take a few lessons from him. He posts frequently here and is also a good guy.

/Volumes/logic files/my rig.lso

i hope i did this right in posting this. i downloaded the joints from swiftkick and it helped out a hell of alot. this is how i set it up for my whole setup. now the only things that i'm not 100% on is this...

i set my m-audio 88pro controller as a standard instrument which will play the sounds for the xr rack and the mv8000. is that correct in regards to setting the 88pro as a standard instrument eventho it has no sounds in it?

now the xr rack has a user, gm, a-h banks, and 6 srx cards...total 16

the motif es8 has 2 users, gm, 2 plug-in cards, and 6 preset banks...total 11 which means i have to delete the second multi i created for it.

the mv8000 has 6 banks so i have to deactivate 10 sub channels.

NOW....i want the 88pro controller to play the sounds from the xr rack and the mv8000 as well as be able to play the vst sounds when i record to logic...so is this done correctly or what changes need to be made?

and as u can see mt tascam control surface shows up as the input...but now the other question towards that is what are the virtual ports and also at the bottom of the remaining inputs it says yamaha motif es 8...why is that? i haven't downloaded the software for it cuz it runs on oms. is it cuz of the usb? if so why doesn't the xr rack show up? anyway advice will be appreciated.