Processor upgrades... worth it?

I am using Logic Pro 7.2.3 on an OLD dual G4/450 (I know, I know....) Mostly midi and recording, with minimal soft synths and it functions pretty well for my modest needs. Using the high quality plugins pegs the CPUs though, and I can play maybe one or two notes on Sculpture before the embarrassment sets in.

I can't afford to go Intel on my desktop just yet. I would have to upgrade my MOTU card as well, and probably lose several of my favorite free plugins, which aren't universal yet. I don't have the energy for that big a transition at the moment.

SO- http://otherworldcomputing.com/ has what seems to be a decent deal on a processor upgrade - dual G4 1.2 ghz for $299. I think the CPU is my biggest bottleneck - I am hoping I could get another year of happiness before having to spend the big bucks and start over on Intel.

Any comments? Anyone with a similar experience?

Lyford

I wouldn't recommend it. Your computer is old, not just the CPU. The frontside bus, for example... you will only add a super fast engine on an otherwise old machine. On top of that, a lot of compatibility problem arise with "accelerator" cards, and sometimes Logic just plain doesn't work on them.

Save your money and buy a new machine when ready to upgrade.

Thanks - that's exactly what I needed to hear.

I already got burned pretty badly on the OS9 to X upgrade, so I am dreading the Intel transition. I think I have to do some more research, and start saving!

PS - Anybody want to buy some AudioMedia Nubus cards? :D :D :D

The intel transition was amazing. It wasn't problem free (as Jobs tried to convince us at the last WWDC) but it was relatively smooth. I thoroughly recommend making the move and not to be swayed by the cheap g4/g5 systems that are being expunged worldwide.

Besides which, the performance increase is remarkable and well worth the money in my opinion, especially for professionals who, of all people, use that performance to its limit immediately.

My only concern for the transition was the some developers (eg Adobe) had no universal build or patch. I understand their point of view, but can see why many pro's held off for so long before switching to intel. These issues are falling by the wayside now, there has never been a better time.

Hey, the frontside bus will be your biggest bottleneck after your upgrade and that will be the biggest difference felt performance wise.... a mac mini with a 667 mhz fsb will beat the crap out of that 450 with a 100mhz fsb.... of course you'll have to get an external drive and a new audio interface so that adds up in price....