Exported videos uploading with partial audio

jriggab

Has anybody encountered / solved the following problem...?

I'm writing music to video. Then I export the music to the video (mixed with the original video's audio). When I look at the video in Quicktime everything is fine. Then if I upload that exported video to Dropbox or my Google drive the uploaded video often (though not always) just has the original audio of the video I was scoring. The exported video has a different file name from the original video so I don't think it's just user error in terms of file confusion...

Thanks!

Thanks for your response, Eric -- that doesn't seem to be the problem though unless i'm misunderstanding you.

When I import a movie there's a dialog box that says, "This movie contains an audio track" and I have both of the boxes ("Open the movie" and "Extract the audio track") selected.

Then after I've done all my work, I select "Export audio to movie" from the "Movie" subfolder from the "File" dropdown menu. The audio format defaults to "Linear PCM" with 44100 sample rate and bit depth of 16. I click "OK" then get a dialog window that says, "Choose tracks to export". I have never seen more that one track in the box no matter what my session looks like. it says "Track #1", "Track Name: 2: Sound 'aac', (2 channels, 0 bit, 48.000 kHz). I get same result whether I highlight that track and click "OK" or just do nothing and click "OK".

The exported movie is always just as I expect it if I open it in Quicktime, but half the time if I upload it to Dropbox or Google there is only the original video's audio.

The best workaround I've found is to bounce the audio as I want it and then start a new session, import the movie and then import the bounced audio and then export the movie.

Any ideas? Thanks again for your help. It's very appreciated.

I click "OK" then get a dialog window that says, "Choose tracks to export". I have never seen more that one track in the box no matter what my session looks like. it says "Track #1", "Track Name: 2: Sound 'aac', (2 channels, 0 bit, 48.000 kHz). I get same result whether I highlight that track and click "OK" or just do nothing and click "OK".

Make sure that "that" track is not selected.

Then click OK.

Now open the Movie in QuickTime and see i what the get info window has to say about its audio by choosing Window > Show Movie Inspector.

Do you have a version QuickTime 7 installed? It has an option to see the Movie properties (Command - J) and is perfect for this kind of task.

• 7 years later...

Would love to bump this as I am having similar issues. 

My "choose tracks to export" window is similar to what @jriggab describes - one track option, with the track name "2: Sound 'aac ', (2 channels, 0 bit, 48.000 kHz)". This track must be enabled in order for me to hear the video's audio in the export. 

The export will play correctly on my computer, but issues appear when the video goes through compression (namely, either Google Drive or Handbrake - compressors such as MPEG Streamclip work). In these aforementioned compressions, the original video audio will remain, but all the Logic audio will be wiped. 

I am wondering what is actually going on in this compression process, and how I can retrain Logic to fix this without having to extract the video audio. 

(This issue was also discussed here, yet was not resolved). 

Edited by TimeForMusic

• 6 months later...

Hi @TimeForMusic,

On 6/28/2022 at 8:55 PM, TimeForMusic said:

The export will play correctly on my computer, but issues appear when the video goes through compression (namely, either Google Drive or Handbrake - compressors such as MPEG Streamclip work). In these aforementioned compressions, the original video audio will remain, but all the Logic audio will be wiped

I don't know about Google Drive, but Handbrake does not re-encode including multiple audio tracks by default. You have to go to the Audio tab and choose "Add all tracks" from the Tracks dropdown menu or manually add any additional tracks to the audio tracks list.

A video file with multiple audio tracks is what you get when you Export Audio To Movie from Logic by doing that:

On 6/28/2022 at 8:55 PM, TimeForMusic said:

My "choose tracks to export" window is similar to what @jriggab describes - one track option, with the track name "2: Sound 'aac ', (2 channels, 0 bit, 48.000 kHz)". This track must be enabled in order for me to hear the video's audio in the export.

You'll get a movie file with the original audio track(s), and an additional audio track with the stuff you did in Logic. Seems QuickTime Player has no issue playing back all audio tracks that exist within a movie file through the system's outputs. Other players like VLC will give you the option to play either audio track separately.

A bit late but hopefully that helps.

J.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...