RME, Metric Hal, Prosunus or?

Still trying to choose a decent and flexible interface,

now i am thinking if i get one with Adat or atleast S-PDF i/o i can run it into Pro Tools HD systems, and also connect it with other professional field gear for work.

I have been snooping around at RME recently and wondered what people here think of these mid range products, meaning between 1000 and 2000 and under the ranges Digi asks for a HD system.

Can anyone make any suggestion in that price range?

Edited by Logic Pro

• 2 weeks later...

I cant decide, i guess i am looking to hear what others experience with these units.

I like the fact that MH is smaller, portable and expandable.

But then i wish the fireface 400 was a 400 and smaller.

so at this point i like to know how well they work with Logic and if i can route them via ADAT into Pro Tools.

They work really well with Logic, trust me. I'm not just talking about my own personal studio, but dozens and dozens of studios I've installed or repaired.

Check out that article, you might be interested! http://www.mhsecure.com/technotes/TechNote_0001.php (keep in mind the ULN2 does not have ADAT)

My beef with the RME is that they don't have a physical monitor level knob. Depending on your config, that may or may not be a problem.

They work really well with Logic, trust me. I'm not just talking about my own personal studio, but dozens and dozens of studios I've installed or repaired.

Check out that article, you might be interested! http://www.mhsecure.com/technotes/TechNote_0001.php (keep in mind the ULN2 does not have ADAT)

My beef with the RME is that they don't have a physical monitor level knob. Depending on your config, that may or may not be a problem.

Cool., i get this feeling that these units all sound better then Digi's HD hardware, just from looking at the info online ! scary.

• 2 weeks later...

Dave what about the Saffire 26 i/o, same issues?

Also, i got a offer to pay 879€ for a fireface 400 NEW in France, what you think?

I am a FF800 user, and I can say that it changed my life in the studio. The Total Mix software is awesome. I have created an environment layer inside logic that controls Total Mix. So the no monitor level knob isn't an issue much anymore.

to the OP. My vote is RME. I haven't used Metric, but i have heard that it is top notch as well.

Somebody mentioned to me that they thought I should purchase:

(2) RME ADI-8 Pro

instead of

(1) Apogee AD16 & (1) Apogee DA16

my point in mentiong this is because they thought enough of the RME product over the Apogee ..... and this person runs a store & sells both brands!

The main reason the RME units were suggested (I think) is because those Apogee units would detroy my budget!!

David (or anybody else) - what is your take on the units I mentioned??

Thanks

Somebody mentioned to me that they thought I should purchase:

The main reason the RME units were suggested (I think) is because those Apogee units would detroy my budget!!

David (or anybody else) - what is your take on the units I mentioned??

Thanks

Unless i miss-understood., If it is price your talking i think your answered your question.

Here is a list of top notch audio-convertors for DAWS so you get a idea about prices and quality out there.

Apogee DA-16x16 Channel DA Converter pad

$3,495.00

Lynx Aurora 8 Channel AD/DA Converter

LYXAU8pad $2,195.00

Prism Dream DA-2 Two Channel DA Converter

PSMDAD2pad$9,400.00

Prism Dream ADA-8 Standard with AES I/O

PSMDAS8pad$11,925.00

Weiss Engineering DAC1-MK2

WEIADC2pad$6,500.00

WEIDAC2pad$6,700.00

Allot of people say the Saffire 26 i/o is a great sound and deal, Focusrite invented preamps, i have to hear it to believe it cause it must have that Focusrite color on the signal.

My top list now is

1-Metric halo ULN or 2882,

2-Fireface 400 or 800

3-Focusrite Saffire Pro 26 i/o or Prosonus Fire Studio

those are all MSRP prices.

If you look the RME FF800 has a MSRP of $2000.00 to $2200.00.

So you could list that as well, and so does the metric devices.

So your missing two manufacturers off you "Top of the line" list.'

if you wanted a budget saving device you would be talking about Motu and Focusrite.

if you wanted a budget saving device you would be talking about Motu and Focusrite.

I know, Lavry and another few actually are missing, just examples of prices, how about the Focusrite, 26 i/o or Fire Studio? Motu sux balls.,

I know, Lavry and another few actually are missing, just examples of prices, how about the Focusrite, 26 i/o or Fire Studio? Motu sux balls.,

well this is personal opinion, but i have been burnt with companies who make products that work well doing a certain job well. And then they start to start to move/incorporate a product that competes well with others who (take lightly) have the market cornered.

I don't know. I really debated the 26 i/o before i bought my RME, but I really researched the software that came with the Focusrite. That was actually the selling point with me. The software that controls the 26 i/o seemed very limited, and the Total Mix for RME seemed virtually unlimited.

I choose to spend the other $600 for the RME, and I don't think that I made the wrong choice. Like i said the Total Mix software can be midi controlled. So in turn allowed me to create an environment layer using IAC to control the RME right inside Logic.

I have no doubt that the 26 i/o is an awesome device, but the software reminds me of the Motu software, and I don't like it very much.

The RME gear has a long running comparison with "higher" graded i/o devices.

This has been proven by novice, amateur, and pro users.

All I can say is that I was using a M-Audio device one of the PCI version with the Mackie HR824's, and when I connected the RME my wife comes in the studio and says "So that is what those expensive speakers are suppose to sound like." That blew me away. If she can hear the difference in the sound then I know that I know I made the right choice. Not to mention that I like German audio product. I mean, I use Logic :D.

Bottom line is that I have a motu 828 mkII setup at the project studio in Memphis that my counter parts use. It is very reliable, and actually sounds really good. At another PS in Memphis they have Logic 5.3 and a M-audio Delta 1010. It does a good job recording the synths into Logic. Well they have a lot of nice channel strips before the inputs, but everyone wants to come to my studio, or give me their mixes to mix in my studio (now in Little Rock) for the final.

It is worth the extra cash. The RME FF800 has 2xAdat, SPDIF, MIDI, FF400 or 800 capability, is single rack, HOT Pres (kind of colors, but I like that), and an Awesome software application that will blow you mind for routing audio into, out of, and limitlessly into Logic.

Hope that helps

It is worth the extra cash. The RME FF800 has 2xAdat, SPDIF, MIDI, FF400 or 800 capability, is single rack, HOT Pres (kind of colors, but I like that), and an Awesome software application that will blow you mind for routing audio into, out of, and limitlessly into Logic.

Hope that helps

Thanks so much for your help, Seems like Dave here and some others are right, it is a headache when trying to decide based on price and maybe worth paying the price for RME or Metric Halo stuff.

So far i compiled a list below which from Logic and Pro Tools users, Pro Tool users use these interfaces digitally to get better results from better quality interfaces.

1-Metric Halo ULN (good convertors) or 2882 (not as good as ULN), ULN convertors are the same on the first Digidesign M-Box.

2-RME Fireface 400 (small and $800) or 800 (has more options)

The FF 800 would be worth it if i had FW800, unless it runs its own FW bus...maybe the FF400 is worth it for me over the 2.

3-Focusrite Saffire Pro 26 i/o (great sound over all )or Prosonus Fire Studio (allot of i/o)

Price range for all these products are between 750€/$800 and 2000€

Lowest possible interfaces for the value are Prosonus firbox, firepod and fire studio., Focusrite Pro 10 i/o, 26 i/o.

Also , Value for good quality gear is worth it in the long run (Gibson Les Paul, Nueman Mic etc) and they do not depreciate like computer gear, so what do you think will be easier to sell if i had to ever change or upgrade?

the FF800 uses fw400 as well

i am using it with my Firewire 400 port on my G5

I know that, i was just referring to it been 2x 800 ports and one 400 port.

Wow!

i just got a FF800 for 850€, a floor model with out the box, in perfect condition!

Only with:

1-FW400 cable

1-FW 800 cable

1-Power cord

The guy said if i know what it comes with to ask him, can you tell me what came in the box with yours? like SPDIF cable etc., wondering also about software.

And i picked up my second pair of DynAudio 6a's for 1200€ (last one in my area, Spain is where i am at the very moment), prices are nice out here.

1-Metric Halo ULN (good convertors) or 2882 (not as good as ULN), ULN convertors are the same on the first Digidesign M-Box.

I believe it's the preamps that make the ULN 2 "better" than the 2882, not the converters. In any case, the "wow" moment that someone else in the thread (sorry, can't see who right now) is the same thing that happened to me when I hooked up my ULN2. And that was playback! Previously I had an 882 (MKI) and a Firebox.

Recording through the preamps is pure heaven.

J

400 cable

800 cable

adat fiber cable

sampltude 8 SE

powercable

be sure to go to rme-audio.com and update the drivers and firmware. unless you got the tco option do not install that driver.

Ok ill ask for the missing:

-800 cable

-adat fiber cable

-sampltude 8 SE

663756155_Picture3.thumb.png.15e08f0e868f6f05e9e8b4e13e9ee639.png

Hi again

I heard that you can chain the RME FF800 with another RME FF400/800 or more.

I have a Macbook Pro with a FW800 port, maybe 2 FW busses (1x400 and 1x 800), not sure about that, and also a ExpressCard/34 slot if i ever wanted to expand, but i think FW 400 is the only way to bus power a unit, FW800 does not, not sure though.

1-Can anyone verify if there are 2 firewire busses on a macbook Pro?

Like will it break the speed if i use the FW800 with the FW400?, i am still debating on getting a RME FF400 over this, it is smaller and more practical,

I am guessing that i will miss the TimeCode option and the FW800 i/o of the RME800 if i get the RME 400 instead. I also heard that the REM 400 and 800 are identical, just i/o's and software.

2- The other question was about phantom Power, how does this work with the RME FF800?

3- Final questions is why the hell my levels in logic pop to 6 max distorting, i shut off automation or wrote some to avoid any fader motion on channels but the all the tracks in one session i am doing now had -6 levels, im sure i set something up wrong no? Before i realized that i had to choose front, back or both of the unit for inputs., its why i was not hearing channels 7/8..

Let me know what you think :)

phantom power is turned on in the same place where you set front and back for the channels.

you have a choice to -4 or +10 for the outputs (check to see if that is why you are popping also change the sample rate in the rme to match your song)

check the OS X Audio preferences and set them to the RME.

phantom power is turned on in the same place where you set front and back for the channels.

you have a choice to -4 or +10 for the outputs (check to see if that is why you are popping also change the sample rate in the rme to match your song)

check the OS X Audio preferences and set them to the RME.

Thanks for your help

It was on +4 (normal) so i imagine its something else or the interface since it started happening when i got it.

but now i am trying to find out why he levels on all the Fireface mixer are not stable, the numbers move, and then in logic all the faders pop to +6 by themselves even when i turn on or off automation.

From the MH site:

Mobile I/O

ID #1025

What are the main differences between the ULN and the 2882?

Channel count is one of the obvious differences. The 2882 has 18 simultaneous inputs and 20 simultaneous outputs, while the ULN-2 has 4 simultaneous inputs and 6 simultaneous outputs. Beyond that, the 2882 has digital potentiometers for its inputs. These have a gain range of approximately 42dB, and can produce zipper noise while applying gain changes. The ULN-2 has an analog pot, and has a much higher gain range, of approximately 72dB of gain available. The self-noise of the ULN-2's preamps is much quieter than that of the 2882. The ULN-2 has a send/return path, and the 2882 has ADAT lightpipe I/O.

that has nothing to do with the RME (talking about the fader jumping)

the RME faders are ever changing (well it explains it in the manual)

:)

Can you explain what you mean by ever changing?

so far that means that they change all the time to me.

Unless you meant to say "NEVER" changing :)

thanks

ii am not talking about when you are playing music or sending sound through the total mix software. i am talking about if you have no sound coming out of your computer you will see the meters change. if you watch the meter levels in total mix they are never stationary. they are jumping around not the faders just the meter showing the db's. it explains this in the total mix manual.

the faders do not move, but the signal does.

ii am not talking about when you are playing music or sending sound through the total mix software. i am talking about if you have no sound coming out of your computer you will see the meters change. if you watch the meter levels in total mix they are never stationary. they are jumping around not the faders just the meter showing the db's. it explains this in the total mix manual.

the faders do not move, but the signal does.

No i understood, i was joking by the way you said it, i also was not trying to correct your english, mine is getting rusty been in Europe for all this time, the more i work the more i stay out here., my Fireface is perfect, works great, i am just wondering if i will ever need all the ins and outs of a 800, but hey, i will at some point right? :D

You know what the cool thing is, RME has reps in all the countries in Europe who will come to your home or studio to make sure your up and running, they are almost sure you do not need this but yes, the guy was about to come by until i realized my last problem with the levels was the Korg PadKontrol still connected to a USB hub., as soon as i shut it off and on it was solved.