Multi Channel / Aux

Zicky

I'm just getting into Multi Channel, and Aux. I'm using EZDrummer, and I'm confused on how they connect. Is it trk to trk, or Aux, to Aux. For ex: When I choose Trak 1, it seems to connect with aux 2, and so on, so I'm not sure what's going. Not sure if I should I open 8 EZDrummer tracks for each drum part, and aux it that way.....Even the amount of Aux I'm given is only 5. When I have 8

drum pieces.

Very confused.....

I don't have EZ drummer, but I am assuming you have it set as a multi-channel instrument, and you are wanting respective parts, like kicks and snares to play in their own channel. You should be able to set this within easy drummer and route each one to it's own Aux. Then, you must go to (or create) the respective Aux track, and select the corresponding input. Now, whenever you play back your track, it should be in its respective channel. Does this help?

Thank you foryour repsonse...

Since I'm new at this. I have to find out how I can create Aux strips. When I go to an audio track, and go to where I can select/create Aux, it's only giving me like 3 Aux, When I've selected each part of the drum kit to be multichannel. I would think that if I select 8 part of the drum to be multichannel I would have 8 Aux to choose from in Logics channel strip...I'll keep trying.....cause this feature is gonna be very useful....

I'm going to make a suggestion. Before you try to set up EZ Drummer as a multi output instrument, do it with one of Logic's own plugs (use Ultrabeat for example). Here's why: Logic's plugs behave as expected when it comes to multi out. You put a multi-out instantiation of Ultrabeat on an instrument track and then set up aux channels with their inputs as the numerical outputs from that EXS. It works great. You can then disable the output from the actual instrument track itself and all is well.

But from what I've read about EZ Drummer, you won't be able to access it's 1st and 2nd outputs with AUX channels. These will only output through the output selected right on the instrument channel itself. But that will be along with all of the other output channels. They all output through the instrument tracks main output. You can't isolate outputs 1 and 2 from EZ Drummer to separate Aux tracks.

There are work-arounds including panning EZ Drummer voices in the EZ Drummer mixer so that you don't need all the outputs anyway (heck, outputs 1 and 2 are stereo left and right on the kick and you don't want that anyway). But the point is that this is confusing and will likely frustrate your learning of the handling of multiple out instruments in Logic. So get a good handle on how it works with Logic's own plus first. Then delve into an EZ Drummer setup.

If your autoload doesn't have enough auxes already in the environment you need to create some.

In the environment window, option-drag the last aux to an empty spot. You need to grab it by it's name to do this. It's now a copy. In the parameters box on the left, go into the channel settings menu and reassign the aux copy to a new channel - very important cause you don't want it to remain as a copy - and then rename it to match. Use the text tool, it's under the escape key or get it from the tool box near top left.

Repeat for as many auxes as you need. Everytime you do this, the next highest aux will become available in the menu.

Alright, on to Ez drummer....

Make sure you've chosen EZ as a multichannel instrument.

To make this work a little easier, have a mixer window and EZ both open at the same time so you can easily go back and forth between them and keep the EZ channel selected so you can hear what you're playing.

Using Kick as an example, in EZ's mixer pick a new output for the kick and hard pan it in EZ - right for even channels, left for odd.

In the aux's IO box, look for the instrument that has EZ assigned to it and pick a number that's TWO NUMBERS higher than the one you re-assigned in EZ. So for example, if you changed your kick to "Trk 2", you need to pick "EZ drummer 4" in the Aux's IO box. Now you should see level coming up in that aux when you play the kick.

Ok, one thing that can be confusing is that you might still see kick level happening in EZ's channel strip. That's because the overhead mics and room mics faders are still up in EZ. Either turn down the overhead and room faders or turn off the bleed control button. Or leave them, it's up to you. And if it's snare you're putting through the aux, remember that it has two tracks in EZ.