Program Change to Keyswitch - Note Off?

maintitle

HI All,

I'm setting up my logic environment so I can use program changes to trigger notes for keyswitch patches. That way I can use keyswitch patches without having the keyswitch notes in my sequence (and also on my scores).

I've insterted multiple transformers in the chain to transform incoming program numbers to notes (e.g. program 0 transfroms to C0, progam 1 transforms to C#1, Etc.). It works great, but the transformers only seem to generate note on commands. How can I also generate note off commands so the keyswitch notes release after they are triggered?

Thanks in advance for you help.

you must add a transformer with CC#123 (all notes-off).

Isn't that kind of a sledge-hammer to drive a thumbtack approach? I wouldn't recommend that. Note off is easily achieved by creating a note on message with a velocity of zero.

Note off is easily achieved by creating a note on message with a velocity of zero.

I tried setting the transformers to generate notes with zero velocity, but that didn't generate note off messages (maybe I did something wrong).

I wound up splitting the signal path and using a second set of transformers to isolate each program change message and then wired each of those to its own button (fader) set to recieve input as program change and output note on messages, which when set to a zero value gave me the note off messages.

I think it's a bit convoluted, and it seems like there should be an easier way... but it works. Thanks for you suggestions.

I tried setting the transformers to generate notes with zero velocity, but that didn't generate note off messages (maybe I did something wrong)

Correct. My workaround is to create a MIDI CC with the bit - 2 - set to 0, then use a transformer to convert it into a note on event, leaving the bit - 2 - to "thru". Works fine.

My workaround is to create a MIDI CC with the bit - 2 - set to 0, then use a transformer to convert it into a note on event, leaving the bit - 2 - to "thru". Works fine.

Hi David - Not exactly sure what you mean. Are you somehow creating an additional midi cc event or using the original event (in my case a program change)? Thanks.

Set a transformer to turn your program change into the CC event with a value of 0. Then cable it into another transformer that turns the CC event into a Note event. It will have a velocity of 0. You can also use Fader events or probably other events, the goal is just to force the transformer to output a Note event with a velocity of 0.

Set a transformer to turn your program change into the CC event with a value of 0. Then cable it into another transformer that turns the CC event into a Note event. It will have a velocity of 0. You can also use Fader events or probably other events, the goal is just to force the transformer to output a Note event with a velocity of 0.

Thanks David - I get it now. :D I appreciated your help.