HELP! I can't get the FADE TOOL to work!

Justigoo

Hi,

I'm running Logic Pro X 10.0.6 on an iMac running Yosemite 10.10.1, (3.4 GHz Intel Core i7).

I used to be up to speed with Logic 7 but haven't touched Logic for a few years. I've jumped back in the deep end with Logic Pro X. There are numerous changes, some of which I like, some of which I find immensely annoying.

My main issue is that I can't seem to get the fade tool to work on any audio files.

I select the fade tool from the tool selection with a left click. I move it down to the audio file. The fade tool symbol is there, ready to go. But immediately I click and drag the fade tool across either the end or the beginning of an audio file, (as I understand is the correct way to use this), the fade tool changes to either a hand, in which case I drag and move the whole audio file left/right, or the fade tool changes into the marquee tool, in which case I do an unintentional comp edit.

In no way have I found it possible to add a fade to any audio files.

I have tried applying fades to the individual audio files of the takes in the take folder, and to the take folder main window itself, but no joy with either. (I am assuming that it is possible to add fades to either option?)

All the other tools work fine however.

I have also tried going up into the audio file region window, top left, and manually entering the fade quantities like I used to in Logic 7. However there is only one option, 'fade out', (no fade in), and that is written in obscured text, not illuminated, and is inaccessible. I try double clicking in the box to the right to enter the amount, but nothing happens. (Just occasionally it does work, just to be somewhat random, and when I do manage to enter an amount into the Fade Out box, the quantity subsequently disappears when I click enter).

Stumped. Any suggestions?

Am I being really obtuse? Probably.

Thoughts/help/advice appreciated.

Many thanks.

:-)

Thanks for your replies, both of you.

More questions are, unfortunately, now prompted:

1. David - Any idea how to turn off flex pitch? Or is it not that simple, once the audio has been recorded with flex pitch on I can't turn it off to then apply a fade? (I haven't tried bouncing them and reapplying yet).

2. Eric & David - My iMac has automatic software updates turned on. To be sure I've just been to the App Store, clicked updates, and I'm told there are no updates available. Which is surprising because my Logic Audio, is, as you rightly say, out of date. I can't seem to find a link in Google for any Logic X Pro updates so that I can manually update my software. All seems to rely on automatic updates, to let the update installer do it for you. Any ideas?

3. Eric - you say 'if you are having troubles, try dragging from within the region out' but I'm not sure what this means. It's not very clear.

Thanks again. Sorry to trouble you.

Justin.

1. You can not record anything with flex pitch. You can turn on flex pitch if you want but it's an additional "layer" working nondestructively with the original files.

2. Make sure you are logged into your account. Is the Logic Pro X application in your applications folder and is it named Logic Pro X?

3. I just mean click and hold inside the region boundary and drag out, right or left depending on which boundary you chose.

Fade tool does not act as expected on normal tracks on 10.1 for me. The old way of being able to drag out or in on a live track is broken. The only way I was able to do it was in the audio editor, not track as before. This and other missing things, ie : using esc to bring up the tools, are very annoying.

Eric - yes, Logic Pro X is in my applications folder, yes, it is named as such, and yes I clicked on App Store (in drop menu under the Apple logo top left), signed in using my Apple ID, then went straight to updates, but no updates to install other than to my operating system Yosemite. No joy at all with Logic updates. So, to return to my previous question is there any way i can do this manually, any links to an update somewhere else on the web? Because the automatic method just isn't working for me.

Makzimia - thank you for posting that. I'm glad I'm not the only one having issues. Yes, agreed, it's a pain. I'll try the audio editor, thanks for that heads up, tho' I have yet to use it in this new version of Logic. I guess one could also use the hyper-draw function? (Tho', once again, I've yet to use this in this new version of Logic). Just listening to some of your Soundcloud tracks, thanks for the link. You'll find some of my musical dribblings on there under 'Justin Goode'.

Go well, both of you and thanks for the communication.

Eric - yes, Logic Pro X is in my applications folder, yes, it is named as such, and yes I clicked on App Store (in drop menu under the Apple logo top left), signed in using my Apple ID, then went straight to updates, but no updates to install other than to my operating system Yosemite. No joy at all with Logic updates. So, to return to my previous question is there any way i can do this manually, any links to an update somewhere else on the web? Because the automatic method just isn't working for me.

No manual methods I'm afraid.

There's clearly something wrong with your system.

You should have at least one Logic update and as of now one OS X update too.

Did you turn off spotlight by any means?

Spotlight is still there top right.

I've never knowingly used it, don't really know what it does, tho' I guess it's a quick search and responsible for checking for software updates?

I haven't changed anything in the Spotlight options in System Preferences, all boxes ticked there.

Hmmm. No manual upgrades to Logic. Oh well, I'll have to find a new way of applying fade files.

And I'm hoping that my new operating system will still support my old version of Logic.

I've just upgraded to Yosemite 10.10.2 but my Logic is 10.0.6. This gap might get ever wider unless I can sort this out.

• 3 weeks later...

Same issue here. It has been inherent with Logic since I started using it in the 90s to make simple needed tasks impossible or buggy. I highly recommend just going to ProTools.

Unfortunately, I am now forced to use Logic again after swearing I would never go near it and here I am unable to do a simple fade. It worked for a few tracks and now it just moves the region. The icon is there on the pointer saying it knows its suppose to be a fade tool. Yet it just does not work. I am trying to fade live recorded audio.

So I just figured it out while typing this. Logic will not let you fade a muted track. Why not? Its a ridiculous developing decision. The kind of decision that Logic is good at making. A bad one. Hopefully, I do not have to come back to dealing with this Windows-like program ever again.

hoodun, which version of Logic? Pre-Logic 10.1 you couldn't fade audio regions that had Flex Pitch enabled, but that's been resolved in 10.1 with the new real time fades. Click this link to your signature and add your system information:

• Logic version and sub-version (e.g. Logic 10.0.7)

• OS X version and sub-version (e.g. OS 10.9.3)

• Computer (e.g. MacBook, Mac Pro, iMac)

• Processor (e.g. 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo)

• Memory (e.g. 2GB)

• Audio interface manufacturer and model (e.g. Presonus AudioBox USB)

• MIDI Controller manufacturer and model (e.g. M-Audio Axiom Pro 49)

(most of that information can be found by choosing Logic Pro X > About Logic Pro X, and  > About This Mac)

Archived