missing audio files...any chance of recovery?

Hi. I'm using Logic Pro X 10.1.0 and a Behringer X32 hooked up with a firewire. So a band I'm playing with had a really big show last weekend. We had everything running into Logic the way that we usually have it set up to record in an attempt to have a live recording of the show. Everything was going good until the power strip the computer was plugged into got unplugged when the show was over and we'd stopped the recording. So everything shuts off without us being able to save it. Thankfully the auto save feature saved the files but now they're all silent. No waveforms or anything on any of the files. Same in the project bin. Is there any hope of recovering the audio from the files or anything else i can do to fix the problem? Thanks!

still no luck with getting anything out of the files. i'm not sure what's wrong still. the file sizes are too big to not have anything in them. i would think so at least. i know that it's probably a long shot to get these files back but i want to try everything i can before i completely give up on it. if there's anything else i might could do, please let me know. thanks for all your help!

audacity seemed like it recognized something and i think i might have heard some audio too but there a very very loud static and a huge wave file. i'm sure i just loaded it in with the wrong settings. good news is there is binary data throughout the file i tested. which is awesome. ok. so what would the next step from here be?

Assuming you're recording with the default settings in Logic you should be importing as mono 24 bit signed PCM, big-endian byte order.

The important part is the start offset. 24 bits = 3 bytes so you have three possible values here: 0, 1 and 2. Two of those values will give you static, the other one will get your audio back.

There will be a bit of static at the beginning of the file; this is what remains of the header being processed as audio.

If you don't have many files you can do it this way; if there are too many you might be able to batch this with some command line magic and SoX

ok so after trying all 3 offset values here's what i came up with. 0 has the static at the beginning and end and quietly stays throughout with the audio from the recording faintly playing also. 1 is a huge track of loud static. and 2 is very very quiet static with no audio at all. so is there possibly a problem with how the encoding in audacity is set up? there's definitely audio when the offset value is 0 but still more static than audio.

File: /Volumes/Ryan's External HD/Audio Files/Room Mic 1#02.aif

File type ID: AIFF

Num Tracks: 1

----

Data format: 1 ch, 44100 Hz, 'lpcm' (0x0000000E) 24-bit big-endian signed integer

Channel layout: Mono

estimated duration: 3416.500000 sec

audio bytes: 452002950

audio packets: 150667650

bit rate: 1058400 bits per second

packet size upper bound: 3

maximum packet size: 3

audio data file offset: 512

not optimized

source bit depth: I24

4 markers; SMPTE time type 0 (none)

marker 1, "Tempo: 120.0": frame 0 SMPTE time 0:00:00:00/0 type 0 (0x00000000) channel 0

marker 2, "Start": frame 88200 SMPTE time 0:00:00:00/0 type 0 (0x00000000) channel 0

marker 3, "End ": frame 150667650 SMPTE time 0:00:00:00/0 type 0 (0x00000000) channel 0

marker 4, "Timestamp: 158671800": frame 0 SMPTE time 0:00:00:00/0 type 0 (0x00000000) channel 0

----

That's strange. I can create exactly the same type of file here and read it back using mono/24bit/big endian/44100 in Audacity's raw data import settings.

Also it appears that the header is intact.

Have you tried playing it with VLC? Another thing to try: convert it to another format with Max.

If neither of those things work, I could take a crack at recovering it.

No luck with VLC playing it. Also tried converting it to .wav files with Max and still couldn't get anything out of the files. I wouldn't mind sending you a file to work with if you'd be willing to try to figure it out. There are quite a few files though and they're fairly large so i guess it would just be easiest to send one and try to figure out what the problem might be. what would be the best way to send it?

I can't hear any audio loading this into Audacity with any offset settings. Is this the same file you were working on yesterday?

Looking at the contents of the file I can see lots of 00 00 xx and FF FF xx which means very quiet signals. If I load the file into Logic and gain the hell out of it, I can hear low-level hiss. Did this record correctly?