Assigning portamento for sustain pedal.

JCcares

I was playing around on the Session Strings pro (NI ) & found assigning portamento for Strings on the sustain pedal (or any other CC feature like gliss up/down) can be very useful while doing a string section arrangement. Unfortunately Session Strings does not allow you to write it as a midi cc.Is there anyway I can assign the sustain pedal to behave on a different control change number so it controls portamento for example instead of sustain and also register it as a different cc number?

Session strings sound great but not as luscious.

Probably the simplest way to set it up is using the Modifier MIDI FX Plugin.:

[attachment=0]pic 2015-02-04 at 09.53.10.PNG[/attachment]

Thanks for the excellent idea.Unfortunately it does not work very well for portamento. I tried it with Logic strings & lead instruments but there does not seem to be any effect.It works fine for pitch bend & other cc's ,but for some reason I don't see any difference triggering portamento with the sustain pedal.Not sure why.

Well, the first condition is that whatever instrument you are using it on must be programmed to respond to it. If it is not implemented in the instrument, then nothing will happen. You do realize that all this message does is turn Portamento on or off, right? You still have to play any sort of interval to get the portamento effect.

Well, the first condition is that whatever instrument you are using it on must be programmed to respond to it. If it is not implemented in the instrument, then nothing will happen. You do realize that all this message does is turn Portamento on or off, right? You still have to play any sort of interval to get the portamento effect.

Yes I do understand.I guess its more a setting in the tone selected.However when I disable portamento effect on a lead tone & use the midi cc function,it does not turn it on !