Multiple Ped Marks / Limit sustain to on/off

Bogomir

Hi all,

I'm confused with Logic Pro X. I try to generate a good looking score sheet for my music. Unfortunately when I use sustain pedal, it generates multiple events in the event list with different values for "how hard I pressed the sustain pedal". This might make sense, if you play with half-pedal and such, but I only want, sustain on (pedal mark in the score) and sustain off (asterisk mark in the score). I have read through the manual of my keyboard, but there is no way to completely disable half-pedal support, so it will always generate numerous events in the event list from pedal not pressed until fully pressed (usually 3 - 4 CC#64 events per press and per release of the pedal), which will result in the same number of pedal marks in the score, which clutters the whole score :(

Any idea, how I can either keep only one Ped mark or get Logic to only record sustain on (127) and off (0)? I don't want to delete all the Ped marks manually all the time. Mark similar (Shift-S) doesn't help, because it will just delete all of the Ped marks (which is readable in the score, but not what I want :?)

Any help is appreciated

Martin.

I tried this and from a hardware standpoint the sustain pedal generates only two discrete values 127 and 0. Can you explain your hardware environment a little bit more to better understand what you are using? If you have a pedal to generate continuous values then using a transformer in the environment (possibly with a fader) could address this.

As requested, some more information about my HW setup:

I user my Kawai MP11 stage piano (current FW version 1.10) over a RME Fireface UCX as audio interface into my iMac (also pretty recent from last year, not 5k). I use current OS X (10.10.2) and Logic Pro X (10.1) versions.

In the meantime I found a workaround by programming the middle pedal of the Kawai Foot Controller unit F-30 as sustain pedal. This one only submits 0 and 127 as values.

Nevertheless it would be nice to have Logic filter these events and limit sustain to on/off only. I think many keyboards with half-pedal support to mimic the feel of a grand piano just lifting the dampers slightly from the strings will have this issue of transmitting continuous values depending on how hard the pedal is pressed.

Thanks

Martin.

• 3 weeks later...
It just occurred to me ( I have not tested this) but if your sustain pedal is sending continuous controller messages ranging from 0-127 based on how hard you press the pedal. You could use a transformer in the environment ( using the scale option) to transform 0-63 to 0 and 64-127 to 127, thus creating only two output states. The would allow your continuous pedal to be either on or off, hence markings should come in correctly and not continuously.