Can a third party plugin cause issues when it's not used?

dingobiatch

I'm trying to figure out what plugin is causing my sessions to freeze while loading. This started happening a month or so ago.

I figured the best thing is disable half my plugins at a time and go from there, continually removing half until I'm left with one.

But, can non-used plugin in a session cause issues? If not, then it would be faster to look at all plugins used in a session and start with only that group..

I'm trying to figure out what plugin is causing my sessions to freeze while loading. This started happening a month or so ago.
Did you change something in your system around that period?

I figured the best thing is disable half my plugins at a time and go from there, continually removing half until I'm left with one.
Interesting logical method!

But, can non-used plugin in a session cause issues?
Considering that Logic scans plugins, there could be some hint here that it is a possibility, but to what extent or certainty that remains a wild guess... Does your project freezes even without any plugins instantiated?

If not, then it would be faster to look at all plugins used in a session and start with only that group..
that would be the place I would start troubleshooting indeed...

To do this test I would start by removing ALL plug-ins. If the problem disappears, then that confirms that your issue is due to a plug-in, otherwise, look elsewhere.

If the problem disappears, you re-enable half the plug-ins. If the problem comes back you disable half the plug-ins you just re-enabled, if the problem does not come back, you re-enable half the remaining plug-ins. Etc...

To answer one of your question "dingobiatch", yes unused plugins can cause problems to the host application (in this case Logic).

I learned this while I was writing a AU plugin (for fun and knowledge). When scanned by a the host application a plugin routine is executed to do some initialisation (by the host and the plugin) so who knows what those third-party plugins can do at initialisation!

So it's better to follow David's advice.