Presonus FireBox

Absolutely known bug on the firebox is that it's "class compliant" which means it doesn't come with it's own drivers, it uses the coreaudio driver built into osx. That's a good thing, except there is a bug in Apple's coreaudio drivers which causes processor spikes. Not a problem on a powerful machine (for example, my G5 ppc 2x 2.5Ghz) but keeps my mini mobile rig, a G4 867 alubook, from being able to be useful.

PreSonus is aware of the problem but isn't going to write drivers. Google this issue, it's HUGE! Yamaha guys are also p'o'ed about it.

John

Absolutely known bug on the firebox is that it's "class compliant" which means it doesn't come with it's own drivers, it uses the coreaudio driver built into osx. That's a good thing, except there is a bug in Apple's coreaudio drivers which causes processor spikes.

Yes, but it's not the core audio drivers specifically, it's the Apple native firewire driver and the problem is not just confined to audio. Those of us who use "class compliant" Apple Firewire Video also see the same problems such as random latency offsets, processor spikes, etc.

I'm not an insider, but my guess is that companies like Presonus and others who use the native driver, aren't writing their own because this whole firewire media thing is getting an overhaul in Leopard. Here's some info on that:

http://createdigitalmusic.com/tag/compatibility/

So, we just wait and see.

hmm...I'm still thinking about getting the MOTU Ultralight for my MacBook Pro.. don't really want to spend more than $500 anyway..

Found a interesting comment about Motu gear

The magic line seems to be:

Sound quality with tight drivers. For the record, MOTU has very good drivers, but their analog design isn't high end. Most of the complaints you see from users isn't about sound quality on other units, it's drivers and functionality. It just needs to work, period.

If you start cracking open interfaces, you start to see the same TI A/D D/A chips, so the difference in the quality isnt really the converters, it's every engineering decision that leads up to and after the converter.

Case in point: MBOX 1 and ULN-2: Exact same converters...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Has anyone had problems with pre-recorded audio or audio instruments leaking onto newly recorded tracks. Try this: have a drum loop play then enable an audio track to record (with something plugged into the innerface). Now play it back, but mute the drum loop track. Turn up your headphones; did the loop bleed onto the new track? This had been happening to me; it's maddening.

Has anyone had problems with pre-recorded audio or audio instruments leaking onto newly recorded tracks. Try this: have a drum loop play then enable an audio track to record (with something plugged into the innerface). Now play it back, but mute the drum loop track. Turn up your headphones; did the loop bleed onto the new track? This had been happening to me; it's maddening.

Funny you mention that. Same thing happened to me. It had never happened before but that may be because I hadn't had a guitar plugged in. An extremely faint bleed from an audio instrument onto an audio track. Weird. Not a track killer though-very very faint.

The worst thing about the Firebox, is the fact that it won't work with newer MacbookPros, unless you use a p/supply. PLugging in the FBox causes the Firewire power to go into protection mode apparently... causing the FireBox not to be able to power up.

DAMMIT... That's the whole reason I got a Firebox in the first place... To use it portably.