Triplets in the Score Editor

Webern

[Logic Pro X version 10.1.0, Mac OS 10.9.5]

I realize this topic has been asked and discussed before in many places, but I'm sorry I just don't understand all those threads.

I am trying to understand whether or not the score editor can be useful to me as a composer. I am a lifelong Finale user and it is possible that my cognitive disconnect with Logic Pro's score editor results from my years of using a different software for this.

I am uploading images and a logicx project to demonstrate.

1_PianoRoll.jog shows two circled rhythms which are perfectly quantized to the 1/12 grid.

2_ScoreEditor.jpg shows that these rhythms are displayed incorrectly in the score editor.

3_CorrectNotation.jpg shows the correct/desired way to notate the rhythm. At the moment I don't care about beam placement. The important part is that the correct notation is a Quarter Rest followed by an Eighth Note D all of which is contained in a triplet bracket.

The project containing this music is attached.

My Question: what are the exact step-by-step instructions to get the rhythm in measure 1 to correctly display as a triplet instead of a sixteenth note?

Bear in mind that this is something that I will need over and over and over again. In other words I'm looking for the most efficient method, ideally one that doesn't require me to visually identify all of these incorrect rhythms by staring and comparing the score to the piano roll and then clicking a bunch of times to fix each one individually.

Help! The Score Editor seems like it has so much potential but it is a complete enigma to me. I am trying to learn but the information is fragmented and esoteric.

Thanks!

1_PianoRoll.thumb.png.176ed37820b9fa8cca430dccaf7f5b0f.png

2_ScoreEditor.thumb.png.bab242cceb9afce156f059c18f12ca6b.png

3_CorrectNotation.png.f7aabb931a83f9c3181d7093462b77ff.png

TripletProblem.logicx.zip

1. Click on the D3. This will set the default channel for the next step.

2. Click on the quarter rest icon in the tool palette. This reveals the rest symbols.

3. Drag the dotted eighth rest to 1 4 1 1. [Notice that this rest defaults to channel two, which is the same channel as the D3. When you clicked on the D3 in step 1, that selected the default as channel 2.]

4. Click on the note icon in the tool palette (it has an eighth note, a dot, and a 3). This reveals the note symbols.

5. Drag the n-tuplet symbol over the rest you just inserted.

6. The tuplet dialogue box opens. Select the appropriate values, in this case 3:2 over /8. Choose the preferred direction. To get a quarter note before the triplet eight within the bracket, insure that "Allow double values" is selected. Click okay.

I know this seems like a whole lot of futzing to get a simple triplet note. You can experiment with the Score quantize at 8,24 for an automatic rendering of your intent, but as you will see later in the region, that can create other troubles. Logic Score users gauge the passage within the region and decide what's easiest, a ham-fisted Score quantize or surgical insertions of tuplet symbols for stray, mis-printed notes.

And note as well that we cannot drag a tuplet symbol over a rest that Logic automatically generates. They can only be placed over a user-inserted rest.

Hang in there. Logic can be particularly curious for those who come from a scoring program.

TripletProblem 2.0.logicx.zip