syncing Ableton to logic

Soupsounds

Hi I want to get the midi out from Abelton to logic.

1. Logic will not work as a rewire slave.

2. I read online that logic does not transmit midi clock and another place that Abelton doesn't send mtc.

Would be grateful for anyone's suggestions, is there a way to do this. I have recorded midi instrument on live and want to edit it on logic (actually I want to edit it on garage band on my iPad)

Best regards Richard

Hi,

1. Logic will not work as a rewire slave.

True.

2. I read online that logic does not transmit midi clock

Wrong. It won't sync to MIDI Clock. But it does transmit it. This means that other devices/programs must be the ones that sync to Logic's clock. Logic can only be slaved to MTC.

I have recorded midi instrument on live and want to edit it on logic

If all you want to do is edit the MIDI data you recorded in Live in Logic, simply export the data as a MIDI file from Live, import that into Logic and edit away.

J.

Hi,

Hi that won't work as Midi file timing is not precise as Abelton or logic internal clock.

Care to explain how you arrived at that conclusion?

Can you also explain what you mean by "I have recorded midi instrument on live and want to edit it on logic".

It seems your definition of MIDI editing is not the same as mine.

J.

Hi,

I did a test and checked the PPQN of a MIDI file exported from Live 9. Turns out the PPQN on the exported file is 96, which is quite low these days. I couldn't find anything official on Live's internal PPQN, but it's definitely more than 96 PPQN (Logic has a resolution of 960 PPQN and it exports using 480 PPQN).

So, if your recorded performance has not been quantized then you're right: its timing will be affected when exported from Live.

So if you want to transfer this performance to Logic while retaining its timing more or less intact ("more or less" because there will be jitter), you'll have to record it in real time. This can be done by syncing Live to Logic (you can try both MTC and MIDI Clock and decide which you like better) then just record to a track in Logic.

J.