How to automate the modulation wheel on my keyboard?

itssofly

How to automate the modulation wheel on my keyboard? I just want to automate the modulation with the mod wheel when I touch, without sign the automation to some parameter.

If I touch the modulation wheel/knob only my keyboard nothing happens.

1397665934_Howtoautomatethemodulationonmykeybaord.thumb.png.04fab2b8c5b83b75be9afde3db860ee1.png

Edited by itssofly

Your modwheel is sending (usually CC#1 type of) MIDI data that gets recorded in Logic.

On playback, that CC#1 MIDI data is sent back to the instrument instantiated on that channelstrip's track.

Depending of that instrument's parameter set to react to such CC#1 MIDI data, there will be audible/visible reaction.

The modwheel itself will not move; only the target parameter will.

In order for the already recorded (MIDI) automation to become active, it is required to set the automation mode of the track/channelstrip to Read.

Your modwheel is sending (usually CC#1 type of) MIDI data that gets recorded in Logic.

On playback, that CC#1 MIDI data is sent back to the instrument instantiated on that channelstrip's track.

Depending of that instrument's parameter set to react to such CC#1 MIDI data, there will be audible/visible reaction.

The modwheel itself will not move; only the target parameter will.

In order for the already recorded (MIDI) automation to become active, it is required to set the automation mode of the track/channelstrip to Read.

Is there no other way to assign the modulation to the mod wheel on my keyboard? Only read works what you say.

I have a REFX Nexus plugin. There are many things in the matrix in Nexus for the Mod Wheel, what I want to automate. But I have no idea how to assign because there is no button or pop-up to assign(in the matrix), I never use CC Midi data, I want to use it more. Sorry for the Midi/controller beginner questions.

Familiarising yourself with automation modes should help clarifying things.

In Logic automation, there is a menu that should display all the Nexus' parameters available for automation.

Enabling one of them in an automation track, then selecting that automation track while the above mentioned AQA feature has been enabled, will make your modwheel modulate it.

That automation will be recorded, providing that the automation mode of the track has been set to either Latch, Touch or Write.

There could be other methods, but are likely to require different settings and more learning from you...

Familiarising yourself with automation modes should help clarifying things.

In Logic automation, there is a menu that should display all the Nexus' parameters available for automation.

Enabling one of them in an automation track, then selecting that automation track while the above mentioned AQA feature has been enabled, will make your modwheel modulate it.

That automation will be recorded, providing that the automation mode of the track has been set to either Latch, Touch or Write.

There could be other methods, but are likely to require different settings and more learning from you...

Yes, But the problem is when I open the Track automation, what I want to automate is not there. When I click on Region automation I see the modulation and that is what I want to assign to my keyboard mod wheel. I don't want to sign to a parameter knob in Nexus.

Simply press record and move your modwheel. The cc1 data will be recorded to a new midi region. There's no 'assigning' involved at all.

It works now :D It works only with record( I guess?) I was trying the whole time without record but with using Touch and Latch. And when I was using the record button I didn't click on the modulation, in the parameter pop-up menu. That's why I wasn't able to see it.

You can't "automate the mod wheel". The mod wheel is a wheel, that's a controller. It's meant to control the values of a parameter. You can automate the parameter, not the controller. A parameter can be for example the volume fader of a channel strip, or the amount of vibrato for a synth. You can assign a controller to a parameter but you automate the parameter (using the controller), you're not automating the controller itself.

On the other hand you can record MIDI data, such as mod wheel or pitch bend wheel data.

Hope that helps clarify things?

You can't "automate the mod wheel". The mod wheel is a wheel, that's a controller. It's meant to control the values of a parameter. You can automate the parameter, not the controller. A parameter can be for example the volume fader of a channel strip, or the amount of vibrato for a synth. You can assign a controller to a parameter but you automate the parameter (using the controller), you're not automating the controller itself.

On the other hand you can record MIDI data, such as mod wheel or pitch bend wheel data.

Hope that helps clarify things?

Thanks! Yes.

But this is not clarify for me yet.

For example Modulation, that midi data what you see is the Mod Wheel channel 1 of my keyboard right? but what is the Expression and the other names are that also knobs/midi data what's already assign to my keyboard?

758955597_MidiCOntrol.png.82c1b55a01c2d4f647349ef17b5be161.png

1426255562_MidiControl2.png.4b7a5641c0992093bbe0d562ab04f4c9.png

2080322880_Pic3.png.9a7cf54e80ec41f797302deff98aec5d.png

Those are MIDI Continuous Controllers that aren't necessarily assigned to something on your keyboard. When you move a knob or fader on a MIDI Controller keyboard, it sends a MIDI CC number. The mod wheel is typically assigned to MIDI CC#1 which is therefore called "Modulation" but that's not necessarily always the case and you can customize that on most keyboards.

Those are MIDI Continuous Controllers that aren't necessarily assigned to something on your keyboard. When you move a knob or fader on a MIDI Controller keyboard, it sends a MIDI CC number. The mod wheel is typically assigned to MIDI CC#1 which is therefore called "Modulation" but that's not necessarily always the case and you can customize that on most keyboards.

Is there also a way to see to what it is linked to? Because if I draw for example the automation 11 = Expression, while my keyboard is off. I hear change but I can't see from where.

For some I see change in a Vst-Plugin, Some doesn't work and for example Expression works but I don't see moving a parameter, while nothing in the Plugin self is linked to Expression. In this case the REFX NEXUS Plugin, I didn't see anything that is linked, at least not in the MOD menu, where you can link to the Mod Wheel.

Is there also a way to see to what it is linked to?

It depends on the instruments. Some show you the mappings, or some of the mappings, and sometimes let you customize them.

Because if I draw for example the automation 11 = Expression, while my keyboard is off. I hear change but I can't see from where.

Expression is an example of a control that is often hard wired (not customizable), and not displayed. It is normally tied to the output level of the instrument.

For some I see change in a Vst-Plugin, Some doesn't work and for example Expression works but I don't see moving a parameter, while nothing in the Plugin self is linked to Expression.

Expression is linked to a parameter (most likely output level) even if that's not displayed anywhere, that's the reason you're hearing a change. You're not supposed to see a moving parameter, to see a moving parameter you would have to record track automation, not MIDI CC.

Is there also a way to see to what it is linked to?

It depends on the instruments. Some show you the mappings, or some of the mappings, and sometimes let you customize them.

Because if I draw for example the automation 11 = Expression, while my keyboard is off. I hear change but I can't see from where.

Expression is an example of a control that is often hard wired (not customizable), and not displayed. It is normally tied to the output level of the instrument.

For some I see change in a Vst-Plugin, Some doesn't work and for example Expression works but I don't see moving a parameter, while nothing in the Plugin self is linked to Expression.

Expression is linked to a parameter (most likely output level) even if that's not displayed anywhere, that's the reason you're hearing a change. You're not supposed to see a moving parameter, to see a moving parameter you would have to record track automation, not MIDI CC.

Is there a specific mapping map or do you mean the Smart Control?

Yes, I was drawing the Expression but I didn't see anything moving. Do you also know how to link the Expression to any knob/fader/ etc on my keyboard? Control Surfaces - Learn Assignment you need to touch an parameter. But there isn't an Expression parameter.

No I did not mean the Smart Controls, and I'm not sure what you mean by a mapping map

Yes, I was drawing the Expression but I didn't see anything moving.

That's normal, drawing or recording MIDI CC does not normally result in seeing anything moving.

Do you also know how to link the Expression to any knob/fader/ etc on my keyboard?

Refer to your keyboard's manual to see how to set up that knob to send MIDI CC#11.

No I did not mean the Smart Controls, and I'm not sure what you mean by a mapping map

Yes, I was drawing the Expression but I didn't see anything moving.

That's normal, drawing or recording MIDI CC does not normally result in seeing anything moving.

Do you also know how to link the Expression to any knob/fader/ etc on my keyboard?

Refer to your keyboard's manual to see how to set up that knob to send MIDI CC#11.

I thought maybe there is a hidden menu where you can see which parameter or Midi date you've linked.

On my keyboard under the Mod wheel there is written, Modulation C19. And in the manual M-Audio is written: Standard MIDI Controller numbers (MIDI CC) What I read there is the same what you see in Logic. Roughly the same order. I just don't understand why this is written on my keyboard: the Mod Wheel - Modulation - C19 and in the manual 01 Modulation. And when I touch the C11 Knob nothing happens what is the Expression midi data, in the manual there is written 11 Expression.

I thought maybe there is a hidden menu where you can see which parameter or Midi date you've linked.

If there was a hidden menu you couldn't see it given that it would be hidden. :lol: So no, no hidden menu. It depends on the instrument. Each instrument interprets MIDI data in its own way and usually you see listed mapping only of customizable mappings. Expression is rarely customizable and therefore rarely listed.

On my keyboard under the Mod wheel there is written, Modulation C19.

Those numbers are not related to the MIDI CC# the knobs, faders and wheels send.

If there was a hidden menu you couldn't see it given that it would be hidden. :lol: So no, no hidden menu. It depends on the instrument. Each instrument interprets MIDI data in its own way and usually you see listed mapping only of customizable mappings. Expression is rarely customizable and therefore rarely listed.

On my keyboard under the Mod wheel there is written, Modulation C19.

Those numbers are not related to the MIDI CC# the knobs, faders and wheels send.

So, If I want to assign Expression to my keyboard knob or fader. I need to know how to link the MIDI CC#11 without Logic/Control Surfaces but using the keyboard himself?

So, If I want to assign Expression to my keyboard knob or fader. I need to know how to link the MIDI CC#11 without Logic/Control Surfaces but using the keyboard himself?

Yes. Control surfaces allow you to map a MIDI CC# to a Logic channel strip or plug-in parameter. But to determine what MIDI CC# a hardware controller knob sends to Logic you have to set that up on the hardware controller.

Yes. Control surfaces allow you to map a MIDI CC# to a Logic channel strip or plug-in parameter. But to determine what MIDI CC# a hardware controller knob sends to Logic you have to set that up on the hardware controller.

Oke thank you! That will be a challenge :D

There are several ways to assign CC's different than CC 1 to your modwheel: if the keyboard itself will not let you do that, you can use a MIDI Modifier plugin that changes the cc1 in realtime to CC 11, to give just one example. The CC's will still be recorded by Logic as CC 1, but on playback the plugin will change them in cc 11, if set up like so:

270593768_pic2019-10-18at01_20_14.png.410ac6631f4e3ac5a59952375ffa12cf.png

To get the CC 1 to be recorded as CC 11, you have to cable a transformer.

For this you need to go into the MIDI Environment (see Window menu), go to the clicks and ports layer, under New select Transformer, and cable it as shown below, and set the parameters as shown below:

2134021431_pic2019-10-18at01_17_22.thumb.png.7884d977221418c0cdddb53e26da7195.png

All this options are per project, so you have to redo them for every project. You can also save this setup as a template, so it is there when you start any new project from that template.

Quick Guide:

Read: Plays back all automation that exists on the track. If volume data exists, for example, the Volume fader moves during playback, following the prerecorded automation on the track. You can’t change the value of the chosen automation parameter by moving controls when in Read mode.

Touch: Plays back automation in the same way as Read mode. You can modify the value of the chosen automation parameter by moving controls in Touch mode. After the fader or knob is released, the parameter follows existing automation on the track.

Latch: Works like Touch mode, but after the fader or knob is released, the new parameter value replaces existing automation on the track.

Write: Erases existing automation on the track as the playhead passes over it. Records the new control movement or deletes the existing data if you do nothing.

Trim: Offsets the value of the existing automation (Volume, Pan, Send levels) by adjusting it up or down by the amount you move the fader or control. Works in combination with Touch and Latch automation modes.

Relative: Adds a secondary automation curve that offsets the existing primary curve for the selected parameter (Volume, Pan, Send levels). Both the primary and secondary curves are visible, and can be edited. Works in combination with Touch, Latch, and Write automation modes.

itssofly,

What M-Audio controller are you using? Let us knoiw and we can probably show you where in the manual CC assignments are discussed.

If your controller has an expression pedal input, just get an expression pedal and you're done...as you might expect from the name, that's what normally generates CC #11.

You don't have to use CC #11, you can use any CC that your controller has a knob for. That's what the pulldown menu in Logic is for.

itssofly,

What M-Audio controller are you using? Let us knoiw and we can probably show you where in the manual CC assignments are discussed.

If your controller has an expression pedal input, just get an expression pedal and you're done...as you might expect from the name, that's what normally generates CC #11.

You don't have to use CC #11, you can use any CC that your controller has a knob for. That's what the pulldown menu in Logic is for.

I use a old one, M-audio oxygen 61 silver. I see one midi input, sustain input and 12 V DC input. Is it not possible with a Midi input?