LPX Plugin Delay Compensation - please verify 2 scenarios

WolfWein

I'm experiencing 2 scenarios where PDC is not working correctly. Please try the quick tests I post below. On my system, the behavior is reproducible 100% of the time. Please help me find out if these are LPX bugs or just something wrong on my setup.

specs: 10.8.5, LPX 10.0.6, PDC set to All; Low Latency Mode is off (of course)

scenario 1: Plugin Delay Compensation breaks when side chaining from a multi-out instrument's Aux channel. to reproduce:

create new project - add 1 audio track - add a groove (drums, bass) with good timing, a blue Apple loop works - insert Compressor (optional: set Threshold to 0.0db)

add Software Instrument track - insert multi out Ultrabeat - add 1 output channel (= Aux 1) - on main out, add send to Bus 1; on out 3-4 ( Aux 1 channel), add send to Bus 2.

insert Adaptive Limiter (a high latency plugin) to both Ultrabeat Channels (add a Linear Phase EQ to hear things even more clearly)

back to audio track - compressor - set side chain input to Bus 1 - PDC is fine. set SC input to Bus 2: PDC is off which can be heard be the audio no longer matching the click.

this issue only happens with PDC set to "all". when set to "Audio and Software Instrument Tracks", PDC wroks correctly. Of course I need it set to "all" for mixing. This leads me to believe there is a bug with PDC on BUSes.

scenario 2: PDC issue on Multi Out Vi's AUX channels:

in the song above - in UltraBeat assign the snare to output 3-4. add a simple rhythm like a few quarter notes to each UltraBeat channel

remove both Adaptive Limiters - solo each UB track - timing is correct.

add Adaptive Limiter to Aux 1 (=UB out 3-4) - timing is still correct on both tracks

add Adaptive Limiter to UB main out - timing is off on Aux1 (and on main out when doing the test with Kontakt 5)

this is independent of the sends created before

the same happens with EXS24 and Kontakt 5 (after which I stopped testing).

the same scenarios work without flaw in LP9.

it looks to me that: Plugin Delay Compensation breaks when side chaining from a multi-out instrument's Aux channel

and

Plugin Delay Compensation breaks for Multi Out Instruments' AUX channels, when plugins are added to the Instruments main out (out 1-2)

• 6 months later...

It sounds like the same problem I've been having. This issue persists regardless of what add'l plugs (or if no plugs) are being used. It occurs once the sidechain signal is assigned to a compressor. To explain my case, here's what I do:

1) EXS24 Channel for my kick, another for my snare. Both outputs to bus 15 (drums group/bus).

2) to set up sidechain compression on my bass and instruments, I send my kick/snare to an aux channel (bus 64), set bus 64's output to off. Labeled "Sidechain Bus".

3) Send my bass and other instrument outputs to respective bus groups (synth bus, bass bus etc). Load a standard logic compressor on the groups I want to be sidechained from the kick / snare. [doesn't make a difference if I use other 3rd party compressors instead like fabfilter pro-C)

4) As soon as I assign the "Sidechain bus" to the instruments, I get a big timing offset. Un-assign the sidechain and it goes away, playback re-aligns.

• 7 months later...

I have this problem too. Any way to fix it?

Software Instrument channel w/MPC programming broken out to a few multi-channel auxes. I'll send the MP sub channel (via bus assignment) to an instance of Fabfilter-MB on bass and acoustic kick tracks to duck low frequencies for sub kicks, etc. As soon as I route the bus to Fabfilter sidechain input everything loses sync.

I was glad to find this thread because I've looked everywhere to see if it's an issue with Fabfilter or Logic plugin delay reporting.

I always wonder why PDC problems are so irrelevant for most of us. I found them to be VERY disturbing and a very serious problem. To me, the most serious is Logic not recording in time if plugins exist in buses/masters. Imean: it records in the wrong place!. It is very serious... It happens because PDC concept is wrong (IMHO Logic should read in advance, process and release the processed audio at the moment it has to sound, not the opposite) but at least should display a warning "your recordings will be offset by xx samples" or something like that, correct the recording position automatically (I mean: the program "knows" the latency), or any workaround to make it work as a Pro app If Apple can't/won't change it a better PDC...