CPU says one half core being used of 6

ThenCameNow

No, I don't in fact have it selected during this screen shot, and furthermore it only has Kontakt installed and all other tracks are very lean, some with UA plugins which are handled externally by the Apollo.

I understand that a live channel strip has to be handled in one thread in one processor, but this Mac Pro should handle a LOT more than that.

Try bypassing instruments and insert plugins one by one, see if any of them contribute significantly to that one core spike. If all else fails, you can close and reopen the project (this will distribute processing threads anew, and sometimes helps with these one core spiking annoyances). But first investigate the plugins. If it is mainly due to one track, consider freezing that.

Are you loading multiple instruments in one incidence of Kontakt? I just gave up on that and always load a separate track for each instrument.

I think your right about it being a Kontakt bug though, but Logic has got previous for silly CPU spiking behaviour.

Keep us posted on any progress you make with this.

Yes I load one instance of Kontakt up as far as I can with samples and use AUX channels to control each instrument. But even with one instrument per instance of Kontakt it still peaks out unnecessarily.

Why are you so sure it is unnecessarily? They're LASS instruments, right? Now I don't have those, but I bet there's some scripting in there, and possibly also onboard effects, especially reverbs, that can make cores spike. It may also be insighful to watch the polyphony at the spiking points (and maybe limit polyphony when still working, only setting it to full on bouncing or freezing). Some sounds can use 20 voices for just one note, so I can imagine that bringing a single core to spike in Live Mode.

You said you lowered your buffer size to 512 - I assume you mean you increased it, right? And why not to 1024?

The CPU spikes with the simplest instrument installed. LASS is not the culprit and we can leave it out of this discussion.

While off the track with Kontakt installed, all the cores are being used and VERY low. When I click on the Kontakt track with only one sample library being used, the processor peaks on one thread and only one other thread is being used at about half. The rest of the cores go black.

The reason I use as small a buffer size as possible is to avoid latency. While recording live overdubs, I can't have any delay. And furthermore, this computer is mega fast with 6 cores so it should handle anything I throw at it.

My old MacBook Pro 2008 with an Intel Core Duo 2 handled Kontakt far better than this new Mac Pro 2013.

I could load many Kontakts all with several sample libraries each and a full 5.1 live recorded orchestra well over 50 tracks on that old laptop.

After changing as many parameters as possible on both Kontakt 5 and Logic X, I've come to the conclusion that Kontakt must be used as a multi with AUXes for every instrument. Then I never use the live track where Kontakt is installed, but rather use the AUX tracks. With this system there is never the single thread peak, all cores are being used and I can run a heavy session at a buffer size of 32 without a hiccup.

Case ( kinda ) closed.

...or select an audio track.

Turns out it can be an instrument track as well, not only an audio track

see last paragraph here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3161

Last paragraph does work. I thought it worked great for a single multi-timbral of Kontakt 5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59YmTxZHKfM

but it works for multiple instances of a multi-timbral instrument like PLAY and Kontakt 5 in the same project

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vdg8po01nwM

I'd recommend purchasing an existing Logic Project for more ideas on CPU Core Distribution.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xADG4hZ4Dk

So many places to look it was even a sticky here

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=31725

:mrgreen:

Thanks ValliSoftware. The video on multiple instances of multi-timbral instruments was great. I really need to have Kontakt work as a multi or I'm screwed. The simple game changer is having an empty instrument track in live mode. I've also removed all meters on the main output channel and put them on AUX channels in series before the output. This has also helped distribute threads.

Thanks ValliSoftware. The video on multiple instances of multi-timbral instruments was great. I really need to have Kontakt work as a multi or I'm screwed. The simple game changer is having an empty instrument track in live mode. I've also removed all meters on the main output channel and put them on AUX channels in series before the output. This has also helped distribute threads.

No problem.

After I got my Qosmio X70-A working I started to take a look at that and make sure all my cores were being distributed evenly.

I mean, why have cores if it's just going to spike on one. :mrgreen:

I also bought some Logic Projects, but not for the music per se, I just wanted to take a look how another person makes use of Logic in an effecient way.

I mean, why have cores if it's just going to spike on one. :mrgreen: .

Well I must be missing something, Just tried to set up as per the video to get this core distribution sorted out and its all still the same, I am maxing out my machine with one Kontakt multi! I did manage to get it to use 2 of the 8 . I find that when playing the multi it uses a lot more than when playing it back!

Daggilarr,

This is the best I've come up with for my system ( see attachments ). I still have peaking when selecting the track to perform live MIDI, but when pushing notes with a mouse I select another track and re-select the region I need to edit. This way the cores are very low and I can playback while editing without a problem.

I just wonder what all the composers out there are doing with Kontakt on the new system.

And I just read that older Intel Macs, like my MacBook Pro 2008, don't experience any spiking and this confirms what I said earlier about older Macs with older OS. I can run many instances of Kontakt on that old computer with no core spiking while in live track mode.

Kontakt5_Engine.jpg.92227b67f7d6dad690667c76ad9dddf8.jpg

Kontakt5_Memory.jpg.1a3b841f8fae0a725c60cb1b59449a90.jpg

LogicX_Audio.jpg.6f7fc5f044d1fcad4afb5ad9ed8c3d90.jpg

Well I must be missing something, Just tried to set up as per the video to get this core distribution sorted out and its all still the same, I am maxing out my machine with one Kontakt multi! I did manage to get it to use 2 of the 8 . I find that when playing the multi it uses a lot more than when playing it back!

Just curious, did you create a blank track as well, then selected that blank track before playing your project?