Unable to record automation when using Midi controller

Nikjam

Hi,

I have an Arturia Minilab. When using Minilab knobs to record automation in logic x, the automation is not recording to automation lanes. the knobs are moving on screen, and changing the parameters of the sound (Filter cutoff ect) but the automation is not being written.

If i use the mouse to move the virtual Knobs on the screen the automation is recorded ok.

And if i hit record and use the minilab knobs the automation is written to the region ok.

But i would like automation lane recording abilities.

Any help?

Thanks

Nic

Hi again,

Ive already assigned knobs to parameters this way

I move the knob on the Minilab that i have assigned for Filter cutoff on ES1 for example, i can see the filter cut off dial move on screen and can hear the sound being filtered, so the minilab knob is controlling the soft synth. all good upto this point.

So i try and record the filter cutoff movements by turning Automation mode to latch, then hitting play, then moving the Knob on my Minilab, the movements of the knob are not writing automation changes to the automation lane.

Nikjam

Hi again,

Ive already assigned knobs to parameters this way

I move the knob on the Minilab that i have assigned for Filter cutoff on ES1 for example, i can see the filter cut off dial move on screen and can hear the sound being filtered, so the minilab knob is controlling the soft synth. all good upto this point.

So i try and record the filter cutoff movements by turning Automation mode to latch, then hitting play, then moving the Knob on my Minilab, the movements of the knob are not writing automation changes to the automation lane.

Thanks for clarifying what you've done.

That's really strange! Never seen such a case. Maybe some obscure Minilab-related reason behind this?

Would be great if you could troubleshoot with some other MIDI-generating device or software.

J.

Just to add,

When I do all the above but hit record (instead of play) the automation does records but to the region and not the automation track

I have had the same problem with hardware synths (Waldorf Blofeld) recording automation of the synths parameters also wouldn't write to automation tracks which makes me think it is a logic issue.

When I do all the above but hit record (instead of play) the automation does records but to the region and not the automation track

That can only mean that somehow when in record mode, the Minilab goes back to sending straight, unassigned MIDI messages. That's what normally happens when you send MIDI and press record: the data gets recorded in a region.

I have had the same problem with hardware synths (Waldorf Blofeld) recording automation of the synths parameters also wouldn't write to automation tracks which makes me think it is a logic issue.

You cannot write standard MIDI messages as track automation unless you use a transformer in "track automation splitter" mode in the environment:

viewtopic.php?t=75831

J.

That can only mean that somehow when in record mode, the Minilab goes back to sending straight, unassigned MIDI messages. That's what normally happens when you send MIDI and press record: the data gets recorded in a region.

You cannot write standard MIDI messages as track automation unless you use a transformer in "track automation splitter" mode in the environment:

viewtopic.php?t=75831

J.

The Environment not really delved in there, will it help with my Minilab problem?

To determine if this is related to your Minilab, download the free Midipipe and use the attached document to make an assignment, then press Play and move the slider to see if automation is written OK.

Before making the assignment, take a second to check that the MIDI Out tool in the attached document has a valid output assignment (MidiPipe Output 1 will do, or an IAC bus if you have them enabled in your system)

J.

CC14.mipi.zip

To determine if this is related to your Minilab, download the free Midipipe and use the attached document to make an assignment, then press Play and move the slider to see if automation is written OK.

Before making the assignment, take a second to check that the MIDI Out tool in the attached document has a valid output assignment (MidiPipe Output 1 will do, or an IAC bus if you have them enabled in your system)

J.

I did all the above and this is what happened...

Logics synths can now write automation as they should do yay!

Analogue Lab still the same, knobs on screen moving but no automation data written boo!

So we are half way there right?

Will i have to have midipipe open whenever i want to use automation or is this just to test things out?

Nikjam

Hi,

Will i have to have midipipe open whenever i want to use automation or is this just to test things out?

No, that was just a test to determine whether your problem was Minilab-specific or not. Apparently it is.

Some days ago another Minilab user was having issues with it. In his case it was related to having the Minilab installed as a control surface. So, go to Logic Pro X menu > Control Surfaces > Setup and see if you have any control surfaces there you shouldn't have (the other Minilab user had a Yamaha 01V96 there). Delete anything you should have there, and while you're in that window, go to the "New" menu and uncheck "Automatic Installation".

J.

• 3 months later...

I figure it out how to write automation using Arturia Minilab MIDI controller or any Controller.

This is the best way to sign a parameter to a control.

Don't ever use the MIDI Learn on the plugin or if you won't be able to write an automation if you want it.

If you use the MIDI Learn on the plugin, the automation will be written on the Arrange Track.

Follow theses steps:

1- Open the plugin that you want in the I/O or Insert

2- Hit on the keyboard "Command + K" or go to Preferences > Automation > Automation Quick Acesses OFF/ [ON] > then click in "Learn Message" to open the "CONTROLER ASSIGNMENTS".

3-On the Plugin, click with the mouse on any parameter that you want to control using MIDI Controller

4-On the Controller Assignments, click in "LEARN MODE. "(See that the color of the button will get a lil bit dark).

5-Now, touch the knob that you want to use to control the parameter.( *It even works with a key in the MIDI Controler.

**In the 2 columns on the left, you'll see Control and Parameter columns. When you do the 4th step, the parameter column will be filled with the name of the parameter. When you do the 5th step, you'll see a message "Learned" in the Control column. It indicates that the parameter is signed).

6- Then click again on the LEARN MODE button on the controller assignment to "turn off" the option or you'll sign others controler to a same parameter.

7-Hit "A" in the keyboard to open the Automation track, search for the parameter that you want to control and then hit the knob or pad that you choose just to check.

VOILA, PROBLEM SOLVED FELLAS!!!!!!

:D :wink:

Now you can hit the "Record" button and write the automation from the MIDI Controler :)

HotTip: You can save the changes ;)

• 8 years later...

Im having the same issue here. 

when I move the knob ether on the minicab or the KorgNano control2 or my Keystation MINI 32MKIII... nothing. its moves the knobs on screen & you hear the effect of your actions but wont write the track automation. meaning that this can't be a MIDI issue & has to be a logic thing as its all working.

On 7/19/2015 at 2:40 AM, mirobbb said:

I figure it out how to write automation using Arturia Minilab MIDI controller or any Controller.

This is the best way to sign a parameter to a control.

Don't ever use the MIDI Learn on the plugin or if you won't be able to write an automation if you want it.

If you use the MIDI Learn on the plugin, the automation will be written on the Arrange Track.

Follow theses steps:

1- Open the plugin that you want in the I/O or Insert

2- Hit on the keyboard "Command + K" or go to Preferences > Automation > Automation Quick Acesses OFF/ [ON] > then click in "Learn Message" to open the "CONTROLER ASSIGNMENTS".

3-On the Plugin, click with the mouse on any parameter that you want to control using MIDI Controller

4-On the Controller Assignments, click in "LEARN MODE. "(See that the color of the button will get a lil bit dark).

5-Now, touch the knob that you want to use to control the parameter.( *It even works with a key in the MIDI Controler.

**In the 2 columns on the left, you'll see Control and Parameter columns. When you do the 4th step, the parameter column will be filled with the name of the parameter. When you do the 5th step, you'll see a message "Learned" in the Control column. It indicates that the parameter is signed).

6- Then click again on the LEARN MODE button on the controller assignment to "turn off" the option or you'll sign others controler to a same parameter.

7-Hit "A" in the keyboard to open the Automation track, search for the parameter that you want to control and then hit the knob or pad that you choose just to check.

VOILA, PROBLEM SOLVED FELLAS!!!!!!

:D :wink:

Now you can hit the "Record" button and write the automation from the MIDI Controler :)

HotTip: You can save the changes ;)

This is the EXACT process thats needed to fix the issue & resolve another issue I was having that was bugging me also. 

When doing a Midi learn by right clicking on a knob & learning it would not save this over instances. 
so close & reopen the plugin have to rebind. change patch? yup you guessed it.. rebind.. 

I have no used Logic in a while (5 years) & just got back & I was faced with this issue. 
It always use to set this app automatically when you did a right click, that how I always did it. 
so I was very confused this time around.. 

Either way. problem solved! 

Thanks for the MidiPipe recommendation. I will keep that incase. 
& Thanks to Mirobbb for reminding me of this part of logic & giving a step by step! 

Amazing!