Plug-in Latency and movie/video sync

TheAlienDog

I'm hoping someone can please look at the following score-to-picture workflow and let me know if there's a better and more efficient way to accomplish it, specifically with regard to plugin latency. I've morphed into this workflow over the years, and I feel like there must be a better way to achieve the results. Also, I admit that I have a hard time wrapping my brain around some of these settings.

When I'm scoring to a movie file, I use lots of virtual instruments synced up to a particular timecode. I need to be able to export the audio at the correct timecode (using a timestamped WAV or dialogue snippet) so an editor can cut in the WAV at exactly the right place.

So:

1) I load my long-form movie in and turn my plugin latency settings to "Audio and Software Instruments" -- and then I sync up my session to the correct position for a given cue. I'll play the instruments using this setting, as there is no delay introduced.

2) Once I've played all the parts in, I'll switch plugin latency settings to "All" -- this lets some of my more intensive effects (UAD stuff, Waves, etc) work correctly, so I can more fully-produce the track. However, the sync is now usually a bit off from the video which was synced while set to "Audio and Software Instruments," presumably because of the latency.

It would be nice to be able to preview my finished/produced track within Logic in perfect sync to the video. But whenever I sync to the video while in "All," the finished product ends up slightly out of sync when I export it.

And Low Latency Mode feels inconsistent, and again my finished files don't line up with the correct timecode when I export them.

Soooooo… what's my blind spot here? What am I missing? How do you all sync up to video with regard to plugin latency, and make sure that the audio you're mixing down to syncs up correctly with videos when sent back to editors?

ps. Yes, I have looked through the forums and seen the active topics regarding plug-in latency, but I have not yet in my searching found an answer with regard to video

Also, if relevant (though I've experienced this same thing on everything earlier, too): I'm on LPX 10.2, Mac OSX 10.9. Using MOTU 2408mk3 via PCI card, Silver Mac Pro.

Thank you.

1) When recording in this mode do you disable (turn off) all latency inducing plug-ins on aux and output?

When set to "Audio and Software Insts?" No, I do not (though when I'm recording, I haven't usually added many at that point). But if I go back later and add/change something after I've added latency-inducing plug-ins, I'll usually leave them on, unless they prove to be distracting (i.e., if I have sends set up and hear alias-type effects happening). Some effects will be slightly offset, but at least I will be able to play things in live, synced correctly to video, and get a halfway decent sense of what they'll sound like -- the correct syncing to video being key.

The latency I experience when set to "All" is (I believe) not consistent, and depends on whether or not I have latency-inducing plugins activated.

I guess the better way of phrasing this question is:

What is the best and most efficient way for me to use VIs and latency-inducing plugins while trying to sync to video in such a way that I need to export the resulting audio track for an editor to place precisely? Through what combination of PLC settings and sync settings? I need to be able to play parts live (MIDI and audio), and it would be nice to be able to have all my plugins activated while previewing against the movie in sync, and then to have the resulting track be at the correct timecode.

Thank much, I appreciate your responses.