10.2.1 Midi recording timing.

DFierce

I posted a topic about MIDI being recorded ahead some time ago. This was in Logic 10.1/10.2 though. Whether it's a 16th or not would depend on the tempo, wouldn't it? I would say it's more like a certain number of "ticks" or samples ahead. A finite time.

But I have had MIDI recording ahead for a long time. Don't know if it's related to what you experience.

• 5 weeks later...

–––This post and most from this point on are moved from another topic!–––

–––Audio is displaced early - Logic Pro X 10.2.1–––

–––MODERATOR NOTE––

This is always happening WITH low latency mode. Obviously when tracking its always engaged. Which is totally bizarre..... While recording everything sounds spot on. Soon as you stop and playback (with or without llm) the audio is shifted. Right now I am literally manually moving things. Nightmare!

Thanks for the quick responses by the way x

There's a similar issue for MIDI: All MIDI recordings are placed xx ticks too early since 10.2 or 10.2.1. So this could be related, meaning that everything, both audio and MIDI, is placed too early now in Logic... :shock:

So this could be related, meaning that everything, both audio and MIDI, is placed too early now in Logic... :shock:

Have you determined the criteria that needs to be met for this to happen?

No - it happens on every single MIDI recording I (and others) do. Just seems like a nasty bug. No audio settings seem to have any impact on the behaviour. One thing I THINK I have found out though is, that recordings are moved a certain amount of ticks to the left (too early), not a certain amount of samples or milliseconds. Because depending on the MIDI tempo I set, I can solve the problem by offsetting the click by xx ms - and the amount differs, depending on the tempo. So a slow tempo would require a bigger offset than a higher tempo.

Maybe it's really just the click that is playing wrong when recording? Not sure. But that would not make the similar audio issue fit in well since that should not be related to MIDI click.

I just trashed my prefs, created a blank project and added an instance of Kontakt. Still all MIDI is placed too early.
Thanks for updating your signature.

What happens if you try setting the number of Processing threads to 8 instead of automatic?

Since you seem to have a similar machine as the OP, have you tried the suggestion from Eric above ?

Setting processing threads to "8" for a dual 6-core machine makes no sense whatsoever. Furthermore, no way in h*ll it should have any influence on MIDI recordngs, the matter of cores you assign for Logic. It never has in the past, never should.

If this has any influence on my problem (and I am 99.9% sure it doesn't), it makes absolutely no sense and would be a very, very strange bug. I think the reason lies somewhere else - somewhere in the metronome behaviour.

Nope, no delay setting. Remember, this is even happening from a totally new project with fresh prefs etc.

This problem arised after Logic 10.2 or 10.2.1. I didn't change anything. I didn't decide to suddenly have a delay set somewhere for the heck of it either 8)

C'mon guys this has been reported by numerous users: It's a bug. I can just hope Apple fixes this ASAP, it's a pain in the ass and a timewaster on every single cue I do.

Hi Dukejules!

Click this link to your signature and add your system information:

• Logic version and sub-version (e.g. Logic Pro X 10.2.1)

• OS X version and sub-version (e.g. OS X El Capitan 10.11.3)

• Computer (e.g. MacBook Pro, Mac Pro, iMac)

• Processor (e.g. 2.2 GHz Intel i7)

• Memory (e.g. 8GB)

• Audio interface manufacturer and model (e.g. RME Babyface Pro)

(most of that information can be found by choosing Logic Pro X > About Logic Pro X, and  > About This Mac)

I'm experiencing the same problem. Very annoying. For me this problem started when I updated to LPX 10.2.1.

I already went through several midi recording / syncing settings. Nothing worked for me/

Do you guys already figured it out?

Do you also happen to sport a Mac Pro?

Have you tried changing the Processing threads to 8 just to see if it changes anything?

Thanks Eric, I will try!

Hi Dukejules!

Click this link to your signature and add your system information:

• Logic version and sub-version (e.g. Logic Pro X 10.2.1)

• OS X version and sub-version (e.g. OS X El Capitan 10.11.3)

• Computer (e.g. MacBook Pro, Mac Pro, iMac)

• Processor (e.g. 2.2 GHz Intel i7)

• Memory (e.g. 8GB)

• Audio interface manufacturer and model (e.g. RME Babyface Pro)

(most of that information can be found by choosing Logic Pro X > About Logic Pro X, and  > About This Mac)

I'm experiencing the same problem. Very annoying. For me this problem started when I updated to LPX 10.2.1.

I already went through several midi recording / syncing settings. Nothing worked for me/

Do you guys already figured it out?

Do you also happen to sport a Mac Pro?

Have you tried changing the Processing threads to 8 just to see if it changes anything?

Still happening with an empty project with just only Vintage electric piano.

Timing is spot on when i'm recording it. Then playback of the notes (and position on the piano roll grid) is almost a 16th of a note too early. A friend of mine has the exact problem in LPC 10.2.1. Nobody else here is noticing it?

Have you guys tried using the Musical Typing keyboard as a test? i.e. to rule out any midi driver issues that may be reporting a delay to Logic - so it's trying to compensate for this automatically?

Also have you tried entering a delay value in the 'more' parameter groups for Midi Thru Region (In the inspector, and ensure that no other regions are selected will give you the Midi Thru parameters), try recording, and then resetting that to zero and see if it clears it? Just thinking there may be an incorrect value there which isn't showing up and by changing it, and then resetting it to zero again may clear it?

If that doesn't work, then you could certainly use the delay parameter with a positive value to push your midi recordings back into line until this bug is fixed?

Thanks for the suggestions. Tried musical typing without succes. 'Midi Thru' are all on zero or 100%

I think I have to go for your last suggestion and set the delay to a positive value for now.

Have you guys tried using the Musical Typing keyboard as a test? i.e. to rule out any midi driver issues that may be reporting a delay to Logic - so it's trying to compensate for this automatically?

Also have you tried entering a delay value in the 'more' parameter groups for Midi Thru Region (In the inspector, and ensure that no other regions are selected will give you the Midi Thru parameters), try recording, and then resetting that to zero and see if it clears it? Just thinking there may be an incorrect value there which isn't showing up and by changing it, and then resetting it to zero again may clear it?

If that doesn't work, then you could certainly use the delay parameter with a positive value to push your midi recordings back into line until this bug is fixed?

Are you routing via the IAC bus?

It isn't sample accurate.

No. I'm feeding the MIDI input on a MOTU MIDI Express 128 with sample accurate MIDI notes from an Expert Sleepers 8-MD MIDI output module.

It's only the MOTU's MIDI input and/or Logic's MIDI response that's slightly jittering.