Major Bug? - Inserted plug-ins disappear/change settings

DavidAndersson

Hi!

I'm having a catastrophic problem. From time to time, probably only when running heavy projects, a insert plug-in might all of the sudden have disappeared or have settings from another channel. When I've noticed the problem I haven't even been working with that specific track! Most of the time I just check out a track setting because something sounds weird or have lost energy in the mix, and there it is, either gone or changed settings. I can't trust Logic when it's behaving like this.

I have no clue what might be causing this craziness. I sometimes drag-copy plugins but I haven't seen any direct correlation with the problem when doing so.

So, have anyone had experiences like this or any clue what might be the cause?

Yes!! I've noticed this too.

It happens when going back and forth between different (open) projects. Sometimes a track just randomly changes settings to those of a neighbouring track (or a random track). Extremely unreliable!!

I am absolutely certain that it is not user error.

Thank's for your input! Even though I hate to hear that you're experiencing the same thing, it's great for the discussion so we might come up with a solution.

I'm pretty certain i'm not causing it by being clumsy. Just now the Pitch Correction (Insert #1) got reset to the default setting, meaning 0 ms response time and chromatic scale, which I naturally wasn't using on any of my tracks. At the same time, the Channel EQ (#2) and the RDeEsser (#3) was reset, while CLA-2A (#4) and REDD37-51 (#5) was NOT.

EDIT: Doesn't seem like the RDeEsser changed after all. Had a closer look on that one now and the settings were correct. Might just be Logic's plugins that are affected.

When I noticed, I had been recording new vocals on that track, hence turning off and on plugins and setting the the Buffer Size to 32 which of course reinitializes the Core Audio. This is definitely the shortest time between having a working track until noticing it's "broken", but i might have done a couple of more operations before recording. What I DO Know is that i didn't have any single default PitchCorr or flat EQs in my project.

Sometimes I get the feeling that Freezing/Unfreezing tracks and Undo/Redo heavy operations might be the cause but I haven't gotten to see the bug as a direct effect of it yet, so I can't be sure.

Edited by DavidAndersson

I've experienced this error as well.

I've noticed that in Logic Pro 10.2.2 and even 10.2.1 that plugin settings sometimes aren't saved. I'll open a project I just worked on, open a plugin and see that the settings are reset.

Also, I've noticed if I copy and paste a plugin to another channel, the settings will sometimes reset on the pasted plugin. To alleviate, I'll open the plugin I aim to copy first, and then copy/paste. That seems to jog Logic's "memory" to remember the settings.

Quite irritating.

Yup. It just happened again on the same track. This time I'm certain that it was when changing buffer size and the Core Audio loaded. Made a save before changing it to 1024, applied the settings, same thing except this time only the Pitch Correction changed. Reverted to my save, did the same thing again but this time all plugins stayed normal.

Yeah, xchrisxtopher. Definitely sounds like somethings wrong with Logic's memory or save files.

The issue is very stressful. I wonder how many tracks I may have bounced for a client with the assumption that my processing is exactly how I left it, but in fact may have been reset?

There's enough details in a mix to be considered, without having to be on a constant watch for potential glitches..

You didn't inadvertently record some SYSEX data from a kbd.. My Yamaha kbd puts out SYSEX (unless I toggle it OFF in settings)..

This will make virtual instruments (sometimes any track in the song, not the track the SYSEX is on_ change instrument and of course a different patch..

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
same here. Many users have this problem:

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=125063

Its quiet reproducable. Lets send bug reports to apple and hope that they fix it....

Nice! Thanks Flatliners. I kind of doubt it's the only thing causing the bug though, just my gut feeling, but at least there's something to try out and see if it helps.

Anyone know if this has ben fixed in 2.3 / 2.4 ? Just found this line in the 2.4 release notes: 

• Duplicating a track now reliably duplicates all plug-in parameter values.

Sounds like a lot of things can be causing this bug. I'm thinking of updating to 2.4 just to see if these two "fixes" might be the end of it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have come across similar behaviour in several instances without being able to track down the exact cause, but reading the above (and the link to the other thread and confirmed bug) suggests to me that I might have come accross issues connected to the one(s) discussed here.

In my case I experienced it at least twice, with potentially catastrophic consequences (which I could fortunately avoid, but that was just fortunate):

* Total loss of plugins settings (reset to default) on a lot of tracks of a project upon opening it (but fortunately I could retrieve them from an earlier backup) ; maybe they had already been lost last time I had saved it, the loss having possibly happened at some editing step (before I saved)  without me noticing it, I can't tell for sure, but what is certain is that I never meant, nor took any action, to reset these settings to default.

* Sudden change on a hard-to-obtain organ sound on a specific Instrument track ; I don't even understand what is really changed in the instrument's setting - to the point that from one playback to the next (play/stop/backtrack the playhead/play again) the sound is totally inconsistent ; reloading (importing) the track from another saved alternative solves it, untill sooner or later that unwanted change comes again. Unpredictible.

Having several projects open in parallel may perhaps affect how often this happens. I will make sure to avoid that in any case from now on.

I never had that before, looks like the first time I came across this was with 10.2.2, and I've sticked to that version nonetheless because I'm in the middle of a very long project, I want the whole thing finalized and over before I change anything to my setup. I would be very interested to know from others if these "unwanted changes to plugins - or instruments - settings" bugs apprear to be solved in 10.2.3 or 10.2.4.

• 1 month later...
I just had my first (At least what I'v noticed) change in a Instrument plugin, similar to what Arnaud described. I lowered my buffer size and afterwards my Addictive Keys was reset to default. It was pretty obvious cause it went from Rhodes to the default Studio Grand. Only had one project open at the time. 

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
Only happens when switching between open projects.

That would explain why I have never seen this happen! I never have multiple projects simultaneously. Let me put it this way:

• I never, ever have more than one Logic project open at any given time.

• I never, ever have seen a Logic project "not remember" its plug-in settings.

To be fair, Logic warns you against it:

alert.png.1abda0698b9820e698a248905c3948c6.png

Still that alert makes you think it's okay to have two projects open if you want to copy data from one project to the other. It's not. It's STILL not recommended, and there are better ways to do that.

You can import project settings using File > Project Settings > Import Project Settings.

You can import tracks, channel strips, global tracks, regions, routings etc.... using the All Files Browser.

Finally if you really feel you must have two projects open at the same time, I recommend you first choose Logic Pro X > Preferences > Audio and disable the core audio driver.

I’ve had several projects open at once and have never seen that dialog.

I doubt it, since there's no way to disable that notification. Try it right now, open a project, now choose File > New, you'll see the alert right away. Or if you choose File > Open you'll first have to choose a project to open, then you'll be prompted by that alert.

Still it’s something apple should address and fix.

I don't agree. It's not something that would be easy to make work reliably, and I believe Apple's time would be better spent elsewhere. The easiest way to address this would be to prevent us from having multiple projects open at the same time, much like Pro Tools does. And I can guarantee that if they did that many users would be upset. It's a general consensus amongst pros that the software manufacturer should leave the user maximum flexibility while recommending against certain actions rather than artificially limit the user's capabilities in order to improve stability or avoid issues. Indeed that's exactly what happened to the "Wait for note" MIDI recording feature which was deemed buggy and completely removed, to the dismay of tens of thousands of users who loved that feature and used it every day.

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone

Been experiencing similar issues for half a year, which is driving me nuts

It happens regularly when I import a wav file or loop from whithin the sample browser that suddenly all the presets from my instruments have changed and even the instruments have been swapped with others... or even the AU instruments are playing stuff from audio channels instead

i'm on the latest version on Logic and still happened today

anyone solved this?

• 7 months later...
I have experienced this issues twice now. all of the sudden, everything changes. channels swap with each other, nothings correct, the whole project is completely fffed. I noticed the second time, it was when i quickly hit command Z to undo a vocal take i was doing. I also was working from a template I made. could be something corrupt about it. but in all my years of working in Logic, I've never seen a glitch this bad.

I have experienced this issues twice now. all of the sudden, everything changes. channels swap with each other, nothings correct, the whole project is completely fffed. I noticed the second time, it was when i quickly hit command Z to undo a vocal take i was doing. I also was working from a template I made. could be something corrupt about it. but in all my years of working in Logic, I've never seen a glitch this bad.

This is just total insanity, I'm experiencing this issue on 3 different apple computers with different operating systems so definitely a Logic bug which they don't know about because It's been happening for years.

I experience this after doing the Undo command (cmd-Z) all my settings completely change, presets of audio units are different, instruments switched channels etc..

This happens after I drag in an audio file from the loop browser and press Undo or after unpacking takes to new track alternatives and pressing undo..

Super dangerous as it messes up sessions completely

I suggest filing a report here :

https://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro.html

I experience this after doing the Undo command (cmd-Z) all my settings completely change, presets of audio units are different, instruments switched channels etc.

What were you undoing? What was the last action listed in the Undo history (Edit > Undo History). I suggest you watch the undo history or just get used to using Edit > Undo (xyz) as this lists the name of the action you're about to undo, to better understand the undo behavior.

Also consider including your Mixer actions into your undo history if that's the behavior you want. If you don't do that, choose a patch, then start tweaking the patch for hours, and press Command-Z, you'll undo the last non-Mixer action which is to insert the patch, meaning the patch will completely disappear. In that case you can choose Edit > Redo to bring the patch (and all your custom changes) back.

I experience this after doing the Undo command (cmd-Z) all my settings completely change, presets of audio units are different, instruments switched channels etc.

What were you undoing? What was the last action listed in the Undo history (Edit > Undo History). I suggest you watch the undo history or just get used to using Edit > Undo (xyz) as this lists the name of the action you're about to undo, to better understand the undo behavior.

Also consider including your Mixer actions into your undo history if that's the behavior you want. If you don't do that, choose a patch, then start tweaking the patch for hours, and press Command-Z, you'll undo the last non-Mixer action which is to insert the patch, meaning the patch will completely disappear. In that case you can choose Edit > Redo to bring the patch (and all your custom changes) back.

- Undo dragging of an audio file in the project from the loop browser

- Undo unpack comp to new tracks alternatives

project is completely f*ckd after it, all the presets are changed, vst instruments are switched etc

Redo won't help

It's def a bug and not something in my workflow as I clearly chose to undo a specific action

Weird to hear it's still happening, used to happen to me a lot a few years back: instruments randomly going back to their default preset, exs samplers suddenly loaded up w the wrong preset/program etc. It was pretty messy sometimes. I'm mindful of what I undo now and never have more than one project open.

Hasn't happened in a while but I was so freaked out by it I even used to save every channel strip as a preset for important projects ;)

I'd call it a bug but I thought it was long gone.

Weird to hear it's still happening, used to happen to me a lot a few years back: instruments randomly going back to their default preset, exs samplers suddenly loaded up w the wrong preset/program etc. It was pretty messy sometimes. I'm mindful of what I undo now and never have more than one project open.

Hasn't happened in a while but I was so freaked out by it I even used to save every channel strip as a preset for important projects ;)

I'd call it a bug but I thought it was long gone.

could you try it out what happens when in a comp you select "Unpack to new track alternatives" (so multiple tracks, not 1) and press undo (cmd-z) afterwards?

could you try it out what happens when in a comp you select "Unpack to new track alternatives" (so multiple tracks, not 1) and press undo (cmd-z) afterwards?

Just tried. Here, it re-packs the new track alternatives to the original take folder. As expected.

Try it in a new empty project.

Also you completely ignored the second part of my answer?