10.2.2 copy automation between parameters

andyxr

Hi!

Experiment:

Have a track with a region on it

Add some volume (or whatever) automation with some points.

Copy those points (Cmd C)

Change the automation param to, say, pan

Cmd V to paste

What do you get? I get the volume automation points coming back, on the volume parameter. It never pastes the points into the pan automation lane.

Any ideas why, anybody? This used to work, I'm sure of it.

Andy

10.2.2. on OSX 10.10.5

Ah! There's another way!

Go to the automation parameter you want to copy

Hold down Option and select the automation parameter from the automation parameter menu

You'll be prompted to convert or copy and convert the automation

This is ace! But, it doesn't solve the issue I posted; trying to copy just some automation points between params.

Andy

Since almost only work with automation in regions, my way to do this is:

- Copy the region

- Open Event List editor, the copied region is selected, therefor its data shown

- Select all values

- Then just change the values in column 'Num' to the desired value (Num = MIDI controller number - in most cases)

- Now if you change the value in column 'Ch' (channel), you can move the automation to any inserted plugin

- If you don't know the exact Ch and Num values, just drag up and down the selected values and the column 'Length/Info' will show what it is going to automate. If it's empty, the automation points to nowhere.

- But be careful: Deactivate the MIDI-out button (marked red in the screenshot), otherwise when you change the values they will be sent therefore existing values (in channel or plugins) will be overwritten.

This way you can change any existing automation to any other automation parameter, from one plugin to another plugin, from volume to the filter freq in a plugin, from panorama to synth amp env release, etc.

1710595586_ScreenShot2016-06-01at15_02_06.thumb.png.7465445280d8544ea45dbabb3af9b95c.png