score editor - dotted ties

jonaz

Hi,

For scoring songs with more verses I often am in need of 'dotted ties' of this is the correct term...

In one verse there is e.g. a word with one syllable on quarter note, in another verse there are 2 syllables on the same note.

So I need a tie like a dotted line ........ Do you recognise this issue? Can you help? thanks,

Jan

398364967_dottedties.png.28bbb561df740c2cf0b877dada292ade.png

In Logic There is no provision to use dotted ties.

Here is a possible alternative.

Use a stand tie ( not a slur) and in the example below for the first verse when entering lyrics - you use the tab key. When you tab from the tied note it moves to the next non tied note. (normal lyrics entry)

For the second verse, after you type in the lyrics for the first tied syllable of the tied note, instead of tab, hit shift tab and it will position you to the next note in the tied sequence, then continue on as normal.

I typically add lyric extensions (horizontal line) when I want to hold a syllable across more than one note.

Using this method ensures if I make formatting changes to the score, each lyric verse remains formatted correctly and anchored to the correct note.

Hope that helps!

1871308345_ScreenShot2016-07-18at7_17_50AM.png.b1fd4f47b2cf1a57193e1de5ceee606b.png

Hi volovicg,

Thank you again very much for your swift and expert reply. I will try to figure out how you do it exactly, but it is the precise answer to the issue. U suppose a stand tie is the straight line under Saw...

This helps a great deal!

That is correct. It is a common practice for lyrics with a Melisma ( word or syllable song over more than one note.

It is also common to use a dashed word extension line in place of the straight word extension. I am not familiar with the actual tie being dashed.....

I saw him ______________ or

I saw him - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Here are other examples

1839740203_ScreenShot2016-07-18at11_00_00AM.thumb.png.e78738495761be04cfd30f6c867e6127.png

119498630_ScreenShot2016-07-18at11_05_23AM.png.02116fc15f81dd829cdd62672b1d11cb.png