Logic suddenly gone slow

YopoMusic
Go to solution Solved by Wolfie2112,

Hi

I'm working away from home on mobile setup. And Logic has started running very slowly. Agonisingly so.

I've tried new blank projects - repaired drives - restarts - removed external drives - but still the same. 

Click on a region...wait...beach ball intermission...then it gets selected.

Even with just one audio track, I bounce a 4 sec clip and then I get a beach ball before I can select the next one etc. You can see in the animated gif after the bounce the arrow goes to pencil for a while.

Slow.thumb.gif.c6ee7557f8fdf2d854027525b0003a2c.gif

Anything else I can try please?

Many thanks

Jonathan

This Mac is:381831598_ScreenShot2017-05-29at11_59_54.png.16f38450b7bf4ee21f054c97b530e082.png

Latest Logic

do a little test and set Logic to core audio. Does work better now?

I think danyg is saying that you should try setting Logics input and output to the built-in audio on your Mac. Core audio is used wether you have an external interface or not. 

Yes been watching the CPU meter - looks normal. 

Been wondering about available disk space. 250 SSD - approx 97 available but has started saying that iTunes is using +400 gigs, but iTunes is totally stored on an external! Seen screenshot. Have read other people confused as to why it shows up like this on the internal SSD storage. But no solution - and does it effect performance...

1179533276_ScreenShot2017-05-29at19_50_45.thumb.png.61eac656eb4185f32b577123293cabad.png

Just tried that and yes it does.

Trouble is all my additional content etc for Logic is on that drive. 

Just testing it now - not getting the spinning ball - wonder whether it's that then...

Perhaps I should move the entire iTunes folder off that drive? Or what would you suggest trying?

929089664_ScreenShot2017-05-29at21_43_34.thumb.png.8db8375a10827a9ab34f61f5868c0d29.png

Probable that your Logic audio files are being detected as iTunes files? 

As For Logic, have you/do you use any external controllers?  I've had issues in the past where a Mackie (MCU) control surface has been duplicated in Logic's settings and it reacted quite similar, i just cleared the Controller assignments and Control Surfaces, restarted and was ok.  Long shot, but thought i'd mention it.

thank you. That's interesting as just started using a new Nectar LX88 controller keyboard.  So how would I go about clearing that as you describe?

Go to your User Library (holding down Option in the Go submenu from the Finder) and in the Preferences folder delete the logicpro.cs file (named similar to that)

• Solution

I think it's your LX, I recently bought a Nektar Impact LX88+ and had the exact same issue. here's what fixed it....

First, clear out Logic's control surface configuration file, then manually install the test version of the Apple support file linked below. Please follow these steps:

1. Close any applications you have open
  2. Open a Finder window
  3. Open the 'Go' menu at the top of the screen
  4. Select 'Go to folder...'
  5. Type ~/Library/Preferences
  6. Click 'Go'
  7. Find com.apple.logic.pro.cs and move it to the trash
  8. In the Finder go to //Applications/Nektar/Apple
  9. Run the uninstaller located in that directory
  10. Restart your computer
  11. Start Logic and create an empty project (this is just so Logic creates a new cs file)
  12. Quit Logic
  13. Download this file: http://www.nektartech.com/support/Impact_LX+_apple_DAW_control_test_20161028.zip
  14. Place the Impact2AppleDawControl.bundle file in //library/application support/MIDI Device Plug-ins
  15. Start Logic again

I have the LX88+ and think it's great.  However, as i'm using external (synths/sampler) hardware with it, i just use my own mappings, and have removed the Logic integration, i find it fits me better as a large 88 key 'dumb' controller spitting out midi CC for it's faders and rotaries.

There's a lot of advanced functions on there if you want to get flexible, plus the pads are actually really good, surprisingly good actually.  One of my favourite features is the ability to map the increment/decrement buttons to other functions other than octave up/down, midi channel selection, for example, is an absolute godsend if you're using outboard midi gear.

Thanks Wolfie, brilliant - that does it. Could drive you bonkers trying to work that one out - how did you find that solution?

BTW what do you think of the Nektar?

Jonathan

Glad it worked! I was actually about to return it, and on a whim, emailed Nektar support as a last ditch attempt. Right away they got back to me with the solution; not only did it work, but proved right out of the gates their the customer support is great. I really like the controller, and I rarely use my track pad/mouse anymore. My only gripe is the "old school" LED display...would have been nice if they used a display like on the P1, but for the price I'm not complaining. Love the pads, too!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...