Silent Drummer when recording?

martin7

Hi, 

What is the way to have a drummer track play when recording another audio track?  Once I go into record, the drummer track is greyed out and won't play.  I usually resort to pre-freezing the drummer track but I can't help but think Im missing something obvious.  

Many thank M7

What is the way to have a drummer track play when recording another audio track?

You create an audio track, record-enable it and press record.

Once go into record, the drummer track is greyed out and won't play.

That's not the normal behavior. Are you in Solo mode? Can you show a screenshot that shows the Drummer track grayed out?

I wish you'd attach a full screenshot so we can see all the buttons in the Control bar. Is Solo mode on (Control-S to toggle it on/off)?

If not, try this:

1. Double-click one of the Drummer regions to open the Drummer editor.
  2. Click the Play button that appears in the Drummer editor to the left in the ruler.
  3. Click the same Play button again to stop the preview.

Does that help?

sorry about the screenshot and no, solo mode wasn't on.  I've since rebooted and reopened that project and now the behaviour has stopped i.e. the drummer track plays as expected.  That is consistent with the problem  -it comes and goes.  Maybe Im accidentally keying control solo but I don't think so.  This was just mic test project so i hadn't been messing around mixing anything,  Weird.  

Weird indeed, Drummer shouldn't stop playing when you record something else, obviously – but hey we all know how drummers are (sorry, just couldn't resist a drummer joke).

Do you sometimes use the Solo tool by any chance?

Do you sometimes use that Play button in the Drummer editor or in the Piano Roll?

The solo tool is not normally part of my workflow, nor the play button in the Drummer/piano roll.  Also, in this case, I was not using a template, just a couple of audio track to compare mics on an amp and a drummer track as a metronome.  But, I've had this before in other projects.  I will keep my eyes peeled regarding inadvertent use of control+s.

• 2 weeks later...

i was able to replicate this consistenly and i know exactly whats happening, here's a breakdown of things:

things  you need to reproduce this:

- 1 audio track

- 1 inst track

- 1 drumemr track

it's not reproducible without the instrument track (to my experience).

Expected logic behaviour:

Logic automatically record arms last selected Soft Inst track. You need to disable it manually (by clicking R on the track header or ch. strip)

Unexpected behaviour:

However, when there's a drummer track, you can't press R. Logic still interprets the drummer track as soft instrument track, so if the drummer track is the last selected track, it thinks you want to record to it. The problem is, you cannot record to it nor can you manually un-arm it!

Workaround:

select a another (not drummer) Soft Inst track before you start recording audio track. That will "manually" un-arm the drummer track and it will play back as expected. 

• Wow! 1