Monitoring incoming MIDI program changes

pings22

I'm unable to hear incoming MIDI program changes. I'm sending program change info on channel 2 from MAX to Logic 10.3. They ARE being recorded in new regions and play back just fine. But I can't monitor them prior to recording. Any ideas? Thanks very much,

Nate

I can see the MIDI data, including program changes entering Logic, from Max. But I can't hear the program changes. Basically, I have a max patch that sends rapid midi data, including pitch info and program changes, to the internal quicktime synth. I've loaded the DLS synth in Logic, selected "from Max 1" in Max and started my max patch, but only hear the piano sound playing the pitches from max. I also want to hear the instrument change with every pitch change (via pgmout)... a general midi klangfarbenmelodie, for lack of a better term. Hope this makes sense. I got it to work years ago (it's an old max patch), but I can't figure out how to get it to work now. 

Thanks very much for any ideas you may have!

Is the Max patch sending the PC messages on a single channel?

Do you have any filters on in Logic's MIDI prefs?

Anything unusual on input in the Environment?

How "rapid" is rapid?

By the latter, I'm wondering if spacing the PC messages (or advancing them by a few ticks) would help?

The max patch it sending program changes on channel 2.

No filters on in prefs.

Nothing unusual on input in environment.

Not that rapid: 76bpm with a change on every beat.

I can see in the event list and in the recorded regions that the program change info is reaching logic. And when I play back the recorded regions the quicktime synth responds to the program changes. I just want to hear the program changes before I record them. 

• 4 weeks later...