Score Editor: Codes for very useful symbols not in Logic

Music Spirit

A recent massively helpful discussion with one of our treasured moderators volovicg helped me to understand how to import essential symbols for the Score Editor that - unbelievably - have never been included in Inspector. I thought I would start here a reference thread which might aim to add other symbols that experienced arrangers using Logic Score Editor might think necessary.

The snapshot below are all those I have been waiting literally years to be able to use in Score and Parts. So here is as I understand via volovicg's suggestion the method to do this:

1/ Import Bravura Font - free - from here: https://www.smufl.org/fonts/ - ( shout out of gratitude to Daniel Spreadbury!)

2/ In Logic Text Styles>Font> add the new font Bravura Text and make sure it is available from the Score Editor menu Inspector

3/ Change the Keyboard Preference in the very top right hand strip on Mac to Hex/Unicode Input

4/ In the Score Editor Select the 'Text' tool and drag it to the position you want to insert Symbol not native to Logic

5/ Once the Text cursor is flashing in the right place press OPTION + the code E501 etc as per the snapshot below

I would be curious to know which other symbols anyone feels are essential ?

1949472752_ScreenShot2018-01-30at10_58_54.png.aba6d28563ee0fd51c7aa8c83d03a168.png

various glissandros

Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 8.01.57 AM.png

Absolutely - Glissandos from one note to another! - I was hunting for this just the other day in the Inspector and not aware that Bravura had it.

Thanks again!

PS @Eric C - and just when I thought you knew all there was to know about Logic ;) - glad to be of help

Though I have no compelling symbols to be added, many thanks to Music Spirit and Greg for opening this world to us.

Here's a curiosity. Music Spirit uses E500 as an example for repeat last bar. Indeed, it works, but in the chart I found here:

http://www.smufl.org/files/smufl-0.6.pdf

the same symbol is U+E540, which is an offset of minus 40.

737998228_HexcodeofBravuraRepeatSymbol.png.d7612f66b418886c54f9c0532771fcfe.png

I was looking for an alternate piano dynamic symbol that would not be included when I ran a "Select Equal" command -- in other words, an independent "p" glyph for non-global placement. That same chart reported this as U+E560. So I entered U+E520, and I got the piano dynamic symbol.

Questions: 1 Is the chart dated, or does it reference a different Bravura font?

2. Am I correct that the "U" in front of all of these commands is referring to Mac users holding down the Option key?

3. Do I correctly note that a capital "E" is not needed (that it's not case-sensitive)?

4. My offsetting approach does not work with codes that end in a letter. For example, the chart referenced above has "mp" mezzoforte at U+E56D, and simply subtracting 40 from 56 (entering 26C) does not work. So what would I enter to get "mp," for example?

5. Might anyone have a full chart whose code numbers work directly in Logic?

The chart is dated - but for the purpose of your questions it should not matter.

. Am I correct that the "U" in front of all of these commands is referring to Mac users holding down the Option key?

Yes

. Do I correctly note that a capital "E" is not needed (that it's not case-sensitive)?

Correct it is not case sensitive - it is a number in hexadecimal form.

. My offsetting approach does not work with codes that end in a letter. For example, the chart referenced above has "mp" mezzoforte at U+E56D, and simply subtracting 40 from 56 (entering 26C) does not work. So what would I enter to get "mp," for example?

Why are you subtracting anything from anything...... open font book, find the symbol you want, hover your mouse over it, note the number identifier - and either that number where needed.... No tricky Dicky math required.

Absolutely - Glissandos from one note to another! - I was hunting for this just the other day in the Inspector and not aware that Bravura had it.

How about Glissando's from the part box or even "Ski in a part box" - you can even put him into your score.....

The principal is the same for all of this stuff.

foofontdoo.gif.fea60e97f13dbb5964054a6fc7839e3e.gif

Re: Score Editor: Codes for very useful symbols not in Logic

by Plowman » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:54 pm

Though I have no compelling symbols to be added, many thanks to Music Spirit and Greg for opening this world to us.

Here's a curiosity. Music Spirit uses E500 as an example for repeat last bar. Indeed, it works, but in the chart I found here:

http://www.smufl.org/files/smufl-0.6.pdf

the same symbol is U+E540, which is an offset of minus 40.

Hexcode of Bravura Repeat Symbol.png

Hexcode of Bravura Repeat Symbol.png (10.26 KiB) Viewed 29 times

I was looking for an alternate piano dynamic symbol that would not be included when I ran a "Select Equal" command -- in other words, an independent "p" glyph for non-global placement. That same chart reported this as U+E560. So I entered U+E520, and I got the piano dynamic symbol.

2. Am I correct that the "U" in front of all of these commands is referring to Mac users holding down the Option key?

3. Do I correctly note that a capital "E" is not needed (that it's not case-sensitive)?

4. My offsetting approach does not work with codes that end in a letter. For example, the chart referenced above has "mp" mezzoforte at U+E56D, and simply subtracting 40 from 56 (entering 26C) does not work. So what would I enter to get "mp," for example?

5. Might anyone have a full chart whose code numbers work directly in Logic?

by Eric Cardenas » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:46 pm

I'm just scratching the surface. :)

by Music Spirit » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:52 pm

volovicg wrote:

various glissandros

Thanks again!

PS @Eric C - and just when I thought you knew all there was to know about Logic ;) - glad to be of help

by Eric Cardenas » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:00 am

Thanks for the wonderful tip guys.

Keep'm coming. :)

by volovicg » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:54 am

various glissandros

Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 8.01.57 AM.png (22.63 KiB) Viewed 101 times

ATTACHMENTS

Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 7.53.58 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 7.53.58 AM.png (5.07 KiB) Viewed 105 times

Score Editor: Codes for very useful symbols not in Logic

by Music Spirit » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:17 am

A recent massively helpful discussion with one of our treasured moderators volovicg helped me to understand how to import essential symbols for the Score Editor that - unbelievably - have never been included in Inspector. I thought I would start here a reference thread which might aim to add other symbols that experienced arrangers using Logic Score Editor might think necessary.

The snapshot below are all those I have been waiting literally years to be able to use in Score and Parts. So here is as I understand via volovicg's suggestion the method to do this:

1/ Import Bravura Font - free - from here: https://www.smufl.org/fonts/ - ( shout out of gratitude to Daniel Spreadbury!)

2/ In Logic Text Styles>Font> add the new font Bravura Text and make sure it is available from the Score Editor menu Inspector

3/ Change the Keyboard Preference in the very top right hand strip on Mac to Hex/Unicode Input

4/ In the Score Editor Select the 'Text' tool and drag it to the position you want to insert Symbol not native to Logic

5/ Once the Text cursor is flashing in the right place press OPTION + the code E501 etc as per the snapshot below

I would be curious to know which other symbols anyone feels are essential ?

Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 10.58.54.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 10.58.54.png (38.03 KiB) Viewed 121 times

• 2 years later...