Controller Assignments targeting inserts

des99

A new controller gives me the opportunity to revise and improve my controller setup, and I'm wondering if there are any ways of targetting specific inserts with controller assignments?

On a Mackie Control, for example, in plugin edit mode, you can "target" which insert slot is active and thus being controlled with the vpots - so you can be editing your delay on insert 1, then move to insert 2 to control your distortion plugin parameters on the same knobs.

However, with regular controller assignments (to selected track), it seems that these bypass the insert slot, and get mapped to the plugin parameter directly. If you have two plugins active, and have mapped one control to a parameter in each plugin, there's no way to target which insert you want the assignment to go to - they'll either both work, or one will work and one won't etc.

Now, if it was only for a couple of plugins - say Logic's EQ and Compressor, it's perfectly feasible to have different controller mapping templates on the hardware controller, and switch to different modes and thus sending a different group of unique MIDI CC's for each plugin - but you run out of CC's and MIDI channels really fast, and if you want to map 10, 50, 100 plugins that won't work.

So - what are the options to do what's conceptually a "simple" task, which is to use my controller hardware to control some of the parameters of a particular plugin on the selected track?

The only real thing I can think of at this late hour is to map/learn all the parameters of all the plugins I wish to control, for MIDI channel 1, then duplicate all the assignments another 7 times and change them to have a set of the same assignments on channel 2, a set on channel 3 etc, and then using the controller's MIDI channel as a pseudo insert-slot selector... Although thinking about it, I don't think that'll work actually...

I tried doing this with Modes, eg, setting up two Modes called "Insert 1" and "Insert 2", and learning the same parameter to the same control in each Mode, and using the current Mode to target each insert - but this doesn't work - the two assignments are identical as far as the Controller Assignments window is concerned, and so it doesn't matter which Mode is active, only the first assignment works (ie, the parameter in Insert 1 is controlled by the knob, no matter which mode is active).

Any other ideas, tips etc? I will trawl through for forum to see when this has been discussed before as well...

Edited by des99

So it seems we can use the MCU commands to implement this.

Because I want to control 8x4 (32) parameters, and the MCU only has 8 Vpots so can only access 8 plugin parameters without paging, I set up four MCU's in the control surfaces prefs (now, one "page" of controls is 32 channels/vpots wide).

Now, I can copy the assignments for the Vpots in plugin edit mode, the ones that are assigned to "Plugin Parameter #1" through #32, and relearn them to my MIDI controls - now my MIDI controller will control the first 32 parameters of any plugin.

(Might be able to use the MCU C4 Split mode to access 32 parameters, rather than 4xMCU).

(To control *which* parameters I would want, would require a major task of generating/configuring the CSParameterOrder file for each plugin I wanted to use, which is less than ideal and a lot slower to do than just learn plugin controls).

There are also commands for plugin insert up or down, so mapping these to buttons would let me target the insert slot.

And this works. 8-)

The other thing to bear in mind is how this overlaps with my *actual* MCU/Extender, so I'd want to make sure this is an entirely separate stack of MCU's in the control surfaces.

Anyway, I'm not sure whether I'm going to be doing it this way for real yet, just exploring how well it works etc...

Edited by des99

I tried to do similar with my BCR2000, but as you have to alter the CSParameterOrder, it also affects my Mackie layout - which is a pain. So stopped using it.

I now use my BCR pretty much as a Softube Console 1 would be setup, i printed a template on card for it (And spent ages cutting the holes out lol) and started using it as a fixed controller for SSL (i.e. EQ/Comps) inserts on the focus track, plus fader, pan and send levels, and i'll tell you it's the best thing i ever done, and free's up the MCU if i want to go in deep on a specific insert without the mouse.

I just need to maintain my templates on song creation to ensure i have the desired SSL-style controls on each track, but now i'm in the flow, it's working great.

I was also searching for this dynamic way of working, and being able to map and scroll between plugs as the ideal destination - but in fact, fixing your hardware and generating muscle memory actually makes it a truly useable device, rather than something you want to tinker over and and over again.

Only trouble i have now is that my BCR was mapped to my Microkorg previously, which really opened it up for editing, so it's not really ideal to be swapping piece of card templates when i want to swap between controls, so i may try to modify my print template to have the microkorg controls in a different colour font or something.

Yes, that's sort of what I'm doing. Basically, the main task for this controller will be a synth controller, with a consistent layout for instrument plugins, and as there is only ever one instrument on the selected track, it's easy enough to do.

To make it more useful, I'm looking at what I can do for FX plugins as well - previously I had just Logic's EQ and Compressor set up there as well for hands on, but I'm just looking for ways to improve and expand upon this across the plugins I use - MCU's are great, but they are big and I don't always have them to hand.

But whatever happens, I will map them consistently for the purpose of the muscle memory thing, as with the current generation of generic controllers, it's the best we can do when working with multiple plugins... So it's a kind of fixed controller, that's flexible enough to work across a range of plugins (and inserts), rather than just one or two... is the dream, anyway! ;)

I've figured out how to have direct buttons to target the correct inserts, so I can have a range of 8 buttons to select Instrument Edit mode, Plugin Insert #1 Edit, ... Plugin Insert #7 Edit etc, which should be enough. (I could go to 16 inserts if necessary, but don't think I'll need to, so the other 8 buttons can be used more usefully).

I don't mind editing the CSParameterOrder files in principle, as it just means the most common nice parameters will be more readily to hand on the MCU too (the ordering and parameter name display of some plugins is non-sensical anyway). And if I end up with a C4, the same layout of 32 parameters will come up nicely on that too.

It's just slow to remap plugins this way... (especially with hundreds to do) but if it works, it might be worth it...

I created myself some mapping software for a Mackie Controller to make editing of the plist's quicker, if interested i've just uploaded it:

http://getpatched.co.uk/downloads/apps/mackie/mkMCU_Logic_Tool.zip

It's not really finished, but does the basics, and i've never shared it. But i lost heart as i have a Nektar (P6) controller which falls back on to the .plist files and it has 9 assignable faders before the 8 rotaries. So it's a near impossibility to have nice mappings that work on my MCU and Nektar gear at the same time, due to that odd number on the Nektar.

However, the plus point of the Nektar is that the 9 faders pretty much all follow AMP ADSR (faders 1-4), FILTER ADSR (faders 5-8) and VOLUME (fader 9), and that puts it above the mackie for synth/instrument mappings as my main priority.

As you're working in blocks of 8 it should be much easier to apply to multiple devices, so at least you have that on your side! :)

Out of curiosity which hardware controller are you focusing on? Does it have a screen? And have you considered using one of those MCU emulators that gives you an on-screen emulated display too? Or do you truly believe you can create fixed mappings that applies to a multitude of instruments which you can 'go to' blind?

I created myself some mapping software for a Mackie Controller to make editing of the plist's quicker, if interested i've just uploaded it:

Thanks I'll take a look!

Edit - ah, it just crashes for me here (El Capitan).

As you're working in blocks of 8 it should be much easier to apply to multiple devices, so at least you have that on your side! :)

Yup! :)

Out of curiosity which hardware controller are you focusing on? Does it have a screen?

This is a Launch Control XL:

xl.jpg.59057ae3749efc54726c0c20e496721f.jpg

This has four rows of 8 controls, which matches the C4.

And have you considered using one of those MCU emulators that gives you an on-screen emulated display too?

Believe me, I've gone through the hoop with controller assignments over the years! ;)

Yes, I have LC Xmu and used it with a little Korg microKontrol for years, worked well. And I can press it into service with this if necessary, but I don't think I'll need it (you'd need four of them to emulate each of the four C4 screens anyway, and it's a lot of screen real estate on a laptop...)

Or do you truly believe you can create fixed mappings that applies to a multitude of instruments which you can 'go to' blind?

That's the plan.

Where I am so far as I've set up the XL as a C4, and changed the XL mappings to generate the same CC's the C4 vPots send - the less customising the controller assignments the better. As the knobs have end stops rather than the endless vPots, the vPot mapping types need to be changed from relative mode to unsigned/scaled.

So now, when you open an instrument plugin, the fake C4 goes into Instrument Edit mode, and the XL's knobs control the first 32 synth parameters.

(I actually don't care about parameter 24 (last of the third row of pots), as I've fixed that to the selected channel volume, so I've always got a volume control to grab while editing.)

I'll obviously create other mappings to change modes, select Inserts etc (the rows of eight buttons at the bottom) and other useful things like next/prev preset and so on.

And if I can force a mixer mode in there somehow, I will do so (the XL supports HUI mode, which works well, but there's no easy way to easily switch between C4 and HUI modes seamlessly - actually, this is likely one of the things LC Xmu *can* do in this context - soft takeover, so I'll investigate that when I get that far.)

This keeps the mappings simple, and means that the real meat of what parameters will be controlled by which knobs is in the CSParameterOrder.

What I'm generally going for is a reasonably consistent layout, which for synths is:

Top row - Oscillator (first four knobs Osc 1, second four Osc 2). Generally, Waveform, Pitch, then plugin dependent stuff like detune, PWM, etc)

Second Row - Filter (Cutoff, Resonance, extra filter controls plugin dependent, Filter Env Amount on the end)

Third Row - Macro/Misc (plugin dependent) + Volume

Sliders - Envelopes (Amp ADSR, Filter ADSR)

(The different customisable LED colours also give a useful extra hint as to what the knobs control - eg, for the top oscillator row, knobs 1-4 are red for Osc1, and knobs 5-8 are orange for Osc 2. The filter row is green, the third row is all yellow except for the last volume control is red.).

This means that whatever instrument I call up, I can easily tweak envelopes, filter settings, osc waveforms and the general stuff like that as they will always be in the same place, with any extra useful parameters in obvious places.

And then, I'd ultimately be doing something similar for EQ plugins, Compressor plugins, Reverb plugins, Channel Strips etc - so all the key controls are in consistent places, with extra stuff there for easy tweaking should I need them (I don't necessarily need to muscle memory these extra things quite so much).

That's the plan, and it seems doable using the C4 approach, which minimises the amount of custom assignments that need to be done, making it more reliable overall.

Also, one benefit of the CSParameterOrder method is I can map individual plugins in downtime without needing the hardware present - ie, sitting in a coffee shop, editing text files, which is nice... Maybe we need a sharing custom CSParameterOrder thread, too...!

Edited by des99

Ok, it's working fairly well so far.

I can hit my Instrument Edit mode button, and the controls will affect the instrument, and I can hit my Plugin Edit mode button, to target the controls to audio plugins, and I have Insert Select buttons 1-8 to choose which insert plugin the controls should affect.

So with a few plugins on the selected channel, I can be controlling the plugin in insert 1, then hit insert 2 to focus on that and control that instead. Also the next/prev preset buttons will target the appropriate instrument or plugin as well.

So already, we can control instruments and plugins, and target the correct insert to control, which was the scope of the initial query.

I will have to have a look at the feedback to see whether I can indicate the insert and modes by lighting the buttons appropriately, but that's not a deal breaker anyway - and this is only day 1 of figuring out how to set this controller up, so we're not doing too bad!

That's interesting, i really wanted to make an app where you can map any device (i.e. set it up for 1x8 Rotaries, or 4x8, 3x8, 1x9+1x8 etc.) and it offers to upload/download community .plist's for sharing based on device and plugin combinations.

Trouble is, in reality, there's very few people who will make use of it i think. But it's definitely something i'd want, even if i'm not particularly motivated by it right now. :-/

FYI - I stumbled across Native Kontrol's PXT General several years back (https://www.nativekontrol.com/PXT-General.html) - and it transformed my push into a portable USB Powered MCU controller with the Push's scale pads for instruments and it's absolutely fantastic with Logic as the screen gets full MCU feedback, much smaller than an MCU too.

It'll be interesting to see how you get on with this little project, for sure. I'm really tempted to try something similar with my BCR and run it as a C4 in tandem, because they are all continuous rotaries on there too. Just not sure how that works with the MCU running at the same time. i.e. if Controls 1-8 go to the MCU, and 9-onwards go to the C4... Or if they duplicate.

It would be great to be able to map across plugins on a single track too, but i guess smart controls could be used for that purpose also, as you can vpot map to them too, just not sure what the max amount of smart controls are available per track, is it 12 or something from memory?

Just not sure how that works with the MCU running at the same time. i.e. if Controls 1-8 go to the MCU, and 9-onwards go to the C4... Or if they duplicate.

This depends on how you group the control surfaces.

If you create a C4 as a new group, it will be completely independent of any other MCU's.

If you add the C4 onto the same line/group as an existing MCU, it will act as an extension to it. If it's *after*, then it will add 32 parameters after the MCU's 8. If it's before the MCU in the group, it will take the first 32, and the MCU will add another 8 after (the controls "spread out" across the control surface group).

So it's quite flexible in how you set it up. My fake C4 is independant of my MCU/XT group.

You can even "split" the C4 displays into various configurations, and control a different plugin in each side of the split - eg have the top two displays/parameters in plugin edit mode, and the bottom two in instrument edit mode, or edit two different plugins...

It would be great to be able to map across plugins on a single track too, but i guess smart controls could be used for that purpose also, as you can vpot map to them too, just not sure what the max amount of smart controls are available per track, is it 12 or something from memory?

Yes, smart controls are limited in number. If you need more than 32 controls, just add a second C4 to your group, and now you get 64 parameters which you can choose from freely.

It's worth exploring - I'm actually really pleased at how well it's working, and how surprisingly not (too) painful it has been... Although I know that reordering the parameters will be a pain...

Hmm, no that one still crashes hard on launch for me... :(

Of course, now I'm onto the CSParameterOrder stuff, which *should* be straightforward, I'm encountering some weirdness... :roll:

Edit: Ok the instrument parameter page was set in the cs setup to some crazy value, now I've reset that to 0, control #1 is affecting parameter #1 as I'd expect, and I'm less crazy now..! 8-)

Edit2: And having mapped up a few instruments and a few plugins - it works great, and I'm *loving* it.

Having this much musical & tactile control over the plugins in a good sized box that has decent controls is what I've been wanting for a long time.

Obviously I'm going to be remapping plugins as I get to them, and will likely move some controls around as I develop what most works for my needs - and there's still other templates on the controller you can easily flip to to do different things, as well as the MCU user modes, which gives a wide scope for flexibility and doing a lot, simply, with a small box. If I can end up building in a mixer mode that works somewhat like the HUI as well, that will be ideal, but even just as a dedicated plugin controller it's working great.

Cool, that's a handy tool - thanks.

One thing, where did you get the Midi Implementation for the C4, so you could set up your launch control correctly? I can't find any info on what MIDI Data the 'virtual' 32 V Pots should be sending (?) - i don't know why the info is so hard to find.

Install a C4, then check the vpot assignments that are created... ;)

Note: it’s easier to leave them assigned as default, and change the messages the hardware sends, because otherwise you have to change the vpot assignments.. and there are a *lot* of them. I used KM to automate changing parameters rather than do it manually... although for my purposes, I didnt have to change them all...

Ah yes, i got it now - thanks for the hint, i completely forgot that you could see the MIDI assignments for CS in there.

All the v pots and selects i have working, and you're right - it works really well, i just need to work out how to make it more repeatable to focus on the tracks instrument plugin automatically, as sometimes it pops out to smart controls or some other mode.

Will be interesting to see if shift modes work for precision adjustments, and working out if splits are doable without a screen - but right now, i need sleep! :)

Yes, the active Mode might shift depending on what you are doing in Logic, but in practice here it's been ok and tends to stick to where I want it for the most part. I need to manually shift between Instrument and Plugin edit mode as I target the different plugin types accordingly, so if something's not controlling what I want, a quick dab of the desired mode button and it's fine.

It would be great to get feedback working to light up the correct Mode and Insert buttons, but I'm not sure it will be possible as the MCU feedback messages are fixed to it's own format, and the XL has it's own format. It would need some intermediary translation layer I expect, which adds complexity (LC Xmu might come to the rescue here)...

Yeah that's what i was trying to figure out too, as the BCR has LED rings that can show feedback - but so far, i've not got them reacting, but i'm hoping i can set some kind of toggle group up to get feedback for the mode i'm in - does XL have anything like that natively?

I can see this eventually leading to me buying a C4 lol :)

Yeah that's what i was trying to figure out too, as the BCR has LED rings that can show feedback - but so far, i've not got them reacting, but i'm hoping i can set some kind of toggle group up to get feedback for the mode i'm in - does XL have anything like that natively?

It's just a dumb controller, it sends things when you press/turn them, but doesn't really have more smarts than that. You can light buttons, change colours, flash etc from incoming MIDI messages (two different formats available) but you need to send specific messages, so these are unlikely to work in MCU mode, which has a specific message format for feedback (the types of feedback available in the menu).

Like I say, I think to get feedback to work would require an intermediate layer, to translate between MCU, and whatever format your controller needs (this is one thing that LC Xmu does, so I do intend to look at this - although I've been sidetracked with all the tactile control I'm now having over my plugins and really enjoying it! :) )

And likewise, Mode feedback is first to look at, and then active insert feedback... And that's all I would need (for now)...

I can see this eventually leading to me buying a C4 lol :)

Heh! I have been keeping my eyes out, and nearly bought one recently (and I did pick up an XT too), but nice as they are, they are big, and I don't always have my MCU rig available (laptop rig), which defeats the point of tactile feedback if it's not there. I'm pretty happy with this little controller I can have to hand, to be honest - no, it's not perfect, it would be nice to have dedicated small Console-1 type controllers for Synth, EQ, Compressor, Reverb etc labelled etc, but this is a nice enough compromise and I'm amazed it's working so well.

Edi: I'm investigating what can be done by inserting MIDIpipe between Logic and the XL, hoping to intercept the mode selection feedback, and send the MIDI to the XL to light the necessary buttons. You could do a bunch of logic here, like flash the light of the most recently edited control.

If this is doable, then I might end up creating some kind of MIDI service app for this task - ie it would create a virtual MIDI port, listen for the controller and pass than onto Logic, and Logic would talk back to the service which would then pass it back to the controller. Then you could maintain some state, and force some mode selection and so on...

Edited by des99

I don't know where you are, but in the UK one just went for 120 GBP on eBay - ARGH! lol

And yeah, i'm with you, i like the idea of piggy backing on the C4 controls with a smaller device which you can have by your side in the studio, or in a bag for portable. I've just reduced my studio area down by about 20-30% too so just haven't the space to put it beside my MCU comfortably.

Anyway, I've redone the app i was working on to be C4 specific, fingers crossed this version works for you, i did try it on 10.11.6, new link:-

http://getpatched.co.uk/downloads/apps/mackie/mkC4_Logic_Tool.zip

It's working well for me to map stuff out, i may put some auto detection to attempt to help automap based on common control names (i.e. filter ADSR/amp ADSR) too. That other app i don't like all the controls to get in the way and being able to search for parameters is so much easier to arrange. Plus you can move pages around.

So, I think I've found something *very* cool.

The LaunchPad XL, when connected, creates two virtual MIDI ports - "LaunchControl XL", and "LaunchControl XL HUI".

When you set it up as a HUI control surface, you use the HUI ports on your virtual HUI, and the XL will go into a Factory HUI mode, and control Logic's mixer quite nicely, full feedback etc.

But I'm using it in a customised User template, on the regular non-HUI port, to do plugin control.

However, if I install *both* the HUI on the HUI port, and the C4 on the regular port - the XL will communicate to Logic depending on which mode it's in - so, hit the "User" button at the top, it will be my custom plugin controller template, hit "Factory" and it flips to HUI mode - so I can easily flip between using the mixer controller, or my custom plugin controller with a single button push!

It works great, I can easily flip between full mixer mode (level, pan, sends, mute/solo/rec for all channels, flip fader banks etc), and plugin control mode. This controller just got *way* more useful!

Edited by des99

I don't know where you are, but in the UK one just went for 120 GBP on eBay - ARGH! lol

Yes, I saw it, and that was the one I nearly bought.

Anyway, I've redone the app i was working on to be C4 specific, fingers crossed this version works for you

Yes, this one works! I'll explore, thanks...

That HUI support sounds really handy in a controller like that, damn i wish controllers could utilise their own .plist files though, the more i'm looking at this, i have too much using the Mackie protocols lol.

If you do use the app download the latest version as i found some bugs just now when setting some maps up -

http://getpatched.co.uk/downloads/apps/mackie/mkC4_Logic_Tool.zip

I can't seem to update the built-in Logic instruments like retro synth though for some reason, even though the .plist writes it doesn't update on my controller, it stays default. But it could just be my setup and/or i've been messing about with things a little bit too much! :-/

I can't seem to update the built-in Logic instruments like retro synth though for some reason, even though the .plist writes it doesn't update on my controller, it stays default. But it could just be my setup and/or i've been messing about with things a little bit too much! :-/

Remember the Logic stuff doesn't use CSParameterOrder files in ~/Library/Audio/Presets, it uses ~/Music/Audio Music Apps/Plug-In Settings/, so perhaps you're writing them to wrong place?

It looks like the app is using the main Logic app support directory, so you might have some collisions between files there, and the newer Audio Music Apps directory?

I've had no problems reordering the Logic plugs, BTW...

Yes, Logic (pre-LPX) used the appsupport stuff for ages, and LPX will still look there for stuff, but LPX wants you to use the newer location and will give preference to that.

So maybe the app should scan both locations (in case there are previously generated files there), but only write to the Audio Music Apps folder..?

I'm now adding insert bypass handling - ie, the bottom 8 buttons normally target which plugin insert I'm targetting to control, but when holding down another button, they flip to Bypass mode, where I can turn off/on each of the plugins slots...

I'm kinda up to the point where you are now i think, i got everything working rather reliably, but can't decide on whether to jump into plugin/instrument edit mode and move up/down slots, or use it like an MCU, hit instrument or plugin button and the click VSelect for the plugin/slot number - both have their pros and cons. I noted that the slot up/down button can get you lost if you press up/down too many times there's no easy way to reset to slot 1 again - well, perhaps there is and i've not found it.

However, mapping synths to be reliably in the same place on the hardware for utilising muscle memory is a bit of a split decision too. All's good until i got to Alchemy and Synthmaster - both of which have X-Y pads AND the 8 smart/quick controls.

Really i want those 8 quick controls on the top row, but i kinda decided to have Cutoff/resonance etc. on my top row for synths, and to keep a simple common mapping across plugins was the goal. It may be that i put them into smart controls and have an Instrument/Plugin/SmartControls layout on my buttons.

I can see myself making a spreadsheet and geeking out big time with this! lol

I've had a lot of fun with Retro synth and a basic mapping, i really should use it a ton more than i do, it's amazing when you get down and dirty with it! :)

Question i'm kinda asking is, whats your general mapping presets?

I was like this for synths:

Row 1

[Cutoff] [Resonance] [FiltEnvAmt] [FiltType] [FilDrive] [FilLfoAmt] [x] [x]

Row 2

[AmpAtt] [AmpDec] [AmpSus] [AmpRel] [FilAtt] [FilDec] [FilSus] [FilRel]

Row 3

[Osc1_Ctrl1] [Osc1_Ctrl2] [Osc1_Ctrl3] [Osc1_Lvl] [LFORate] [LFOWave] [LFODepth] [LFOAttack]

Row 4

[Osc2_Ctrl1] [Osc2_Ctrl2] [Osc2_Ctrl3] [Osc2_Lvl] [FX1Lvl] [FX2Lvl] [Tune] [Volume]

But now i'm not so sure. :-/

can't decide on whether to jump into plugin/instrument edit mode and move up/down slots, or use it like an MCU, hit instrument or plugin button and the click VSelect for the plugin/slot number - both have their pros and cons. I noted that the slot up/down button can get you lost if you press up/down too many times there's no easy way to reset to slot 1 again - well, perhaps there is and i've not found it.

I don't inc/dec up and down insert slots, I have dedicated Insert #1-#8 buttons so I can target whichever of the first 8 plugins I want to directly. I like the speed of direct access.

Really i want those 8 quick controls on the top row, but i kinda decided to have Cutoff/resonance etc. on my top row for synths, and to keep a simple common mapping across plugins was the goal. It may be that i put them into smart controls and have an Instrument/Plugin/SmartControls layout on my buttons.

Yes, I think you start with some kind of scheme, and then see how you go once you start mapping plugins. There will always be ones that don't fit into your scheme, but as long as your mapping is sensible, I think it works out a net positive.

Question i'm kinda asking is, whats your general mapping presets?

Really what I'm mostly after is direct *musical* control over synth sound - which basically means, for me, filter stuff, envelope stuff, and some other tuff that make a meaningful but simple contribution to the patch - eg some form of oscillator control.

So top row is Ocillator, second row is Filter, third row is a more random grab bag depending on the synth (often things like portamento, sometimes macro controls, sometimes more oscillator controls if the synth has a lot of them that do nice things etc), and the bottom row of sliders being envelopes - Amp first, then filter.

So, my Filter cutoff, resonance, and env amounts are in fixed locations, as are the envelopes. Osc 1 is usually the first row of four knobs, Osc 2 the second batch of four (usually, waveform, pitch, and anything else that makes sense). And I always have a dedicated volume control in the same place too, which is vital.

Some plugins might force different conventions though. Take something like Arturia Analog Lab - this has "soft" controls per preset, so I can't necessarily map to my conventions. In these cases, I assume the programmers have done a good job selecting useful controls, so I've mapped following the onscreen layout - at least I get clues about what each control is on screen anyway. And with things like Reverb plugins that have an on screen "slider-type" gui, I'll map the sliders to those controls, rather than the more usual knobs - again, you get a visual reference, and you learn the layouts of the plugins you use a lot anyway.

And some of these thing will maybe shift over time as I use it more, and get a better idea of what works for me.

On thing I'm finding is that occasionally on loading up Logic, a mode switch is now targeting the wrong mode - eg, the button to go into Plugin Edit mode is now assigned to a different mode, and I have to go and reset that. It's like the mode reference for that control is by index, and the mode numbering is shifting around, which is a bit annoying, but note a huge problem.

Other stuff on my list are Track Lock (I tried doing this the other day and it wasn't working, but I'll give it another go as it's a useful feature), control of MIDI plugins as well as audio ones, and thinking about how I'm going to use the top two rows of controls in HUI mode (they are left for the user to use/map as they want.) And ultimately, better feedback would be great...

And as I'm going around mapping my instruments, I'm exporting aupresets out for ones I haven't yet done so, so I can use the preset prev/nxt buttons on the controller more usefully.

Plugin bypass is also working fine (there's one slight gotcha that isn't really a problem for me).

I'm super happy with how it's going though, it's really unlocking Logic and making it much more tactile under regular use, so it was well worth it!

Track Lock works now, it was simple enough in the end! This means that while the controls are generally targeting a plugin on the selected track, if you track lock it, those controls will continue to target that plugin on the track that was locked, even if you select different tracks, until you turn lock off.

Edit: I had a look at implementing feedback for this, using some basic message transforming in MIDIpipe, sitting in between the output of Logic and the input of the XL.

There is a message Logic sends to the MCU to light or unlight the Track Lock led (it's a note), and I listen for that, and send the correct control message to the XL to light, or not light, the button I'm using for Track Lock - result - I now get feedback, the button lights when in Track Lock mode, and turns off when not in that mode.

That's a good start. Now, in this case, I could probably remap the XL to send the note on/off for that button directly (and remap the assignments for this), so automatic feedback will probably work without the intermediate layer, but this might be a simple case and some of the other things will likely not be that simple (eg, the Insert selection buttons don't have LED's on the MCU and so it won't be so easy to do this - so there may need to be some intermediary anyway).

Anyway, positive first step. The next will be to look at the Instrument Edit and Plugin Edit modes and see if we can get a reliable MIDI message for those, and light our XL buttons for those modes accordingly. (There are led's for those buttons on the MCU (alhough not the C4), so in theory it might work, but we'll see, as those are lit for more than just the edit modes).

Insert selection will mostly maintain some state in the intermediary layer, and lighting the correct light depending on what I press when in Plugin Edit mode.

Bypass might be more tricky, in this mode I might have to decode the sysex for the MCU display to try to read the bypass state of all eight channels to set the appropriate lights...

In any case, the feedback I'd like seems doable, one way or another... :)

• 2 months later...