Faking out the Environment

DarkLurker

For my live set I use a couple of MIDI keyboard controllers. The small 2-octave one I usually play is a Roland. In Environment for each song the Roland is ‘hard-wired’ to the Logic tracks I want it to play, by routing the Roland’s virtual output connector directly to the track(s). But I have to do a last-minute gig this weekend and have no Roland , so I'll be using an M-Audio MIDI keyboard instead.

Environment does not see the Roland, so it just severs the connections. Do I seriously have to go through all my songs and re-connect the M-Audio in place of the Roland?—very laborious and still not foolproof.

Is there a way to fake out Environment (or Apple Audio/MIDI setup) to think that the M-Audio is actually the Roland?

Thanks so much

Thomas Dolby

MacBook Pro 15" 2.6GB 2014

MacOS Sierra 10.14

Logic Pro X 10.4.1

Roland A-300

M-Audio Oxygen 25

Hey Thomas.

Check these posts:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=137379#p704618

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=137379#p704770

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=68448#p352544

The idea is to replace the Manufacturer (M-AUDIO) and Model (CODE 25) in a copy of your current AMS's config file with Manufacturer (ROLAND) and Model (WHATEVERHTEMODELNAMEACTUALLYIS) with TextEdit. Then it should show up as the Roland inside Logic. That should cover the actual keyboard and MIDI controllers, Pitch Bend etc . However, I have no idea how any special functions of the M-Audio would translate, should you happen to use them.

I have done this successfully not long ago.

Don't do this in a hurry...

Let me know if things are unclear

Best

Christian

Edited by fuzzfilth

The easy fix to this is using Monitors in the Click and Ports page. I use complicated splits and various controllers in my live set and my rig isn't constant. instead of hardwiring a controller straight to the thing I want to control I wire it to a Monitor first, then to the split/channel splitter/instrument that it is controlling. This means that if I have to change my setup I can do it in a minute, just cable to from the controller that IS there. This does mean you have to do some rewiring now BUT you can kind of work backwards with the proper gear attached and put monitors in between the 'correct' controller now right at the instrument that is being controller. Make the monitor assignable and/or drag it to the Click and Ports pages for convenience. If it is assignable you can have a Monitor in the Click and Ports pages and then just have it cabled to the 2nd monitor on the Mixer environment page.

Seeing Thomas Dolby using Logic live was my inspiration for how I use it live. I reverse engineered his (your?) method and have a VERY live and interactive performance. In fact I think I've gone beyond what he has been doing. If this is is THE TMDR I'd be more than happy to help with this, you'll love what I'm doing. 1377620211_ScreenShot2018-10-31at7_56_34AM.thumb.png.ab359a0026a3bd2283b6f99fb874d97a.png