Instant piano - "The Three Davids"

mclight

A few years ago there had been David Nahmani and 2 more Davids in a video sharing their Logic tips. One of the other Davids demonstrated how to set up Logic for having a sort of "instant piano" on your keyboard controller. No matter which track you selected in Logic you could play and hear that piano. It was done via the environment settings (channel 16 wired for this instant piano and a controller keyboard that could send MIDI to 16 by pushing a single button).

I've tried to find this video but failed. Can anybody share a link or explain "how to instant piano"? I'd really like to include this setup in my standard arranging template ... but I'm not so comfortable with the environment window :|

I'm 100% sure it exists. I think it was a sort of webcast a few years ago, only about Logic and everybody shared a "special tip". With this "instant piano" you could quickly play some notes on your keyboard controller WITHOUT changing the track selection in Logic. Such a thing is a real help when editing any tonal sounds (like vocals, keys, guitars, bass etc.). So ... can anybody help me with that?

Yeah it was the guy from macprovideo, Nahmani and David Earl - forgot who the third was though. lol And they did do that instant piano thing. The webcast was brilliant and i mentioned to David after seeing Mr Earl on stage for the Mac Pro that they should do another!

I'm pretty sure the broadcast was private and you had to get an attendance key though? So you maybe won't find it online anywhere?

Edit: found some info on it here:- viewtopic.php?f=4&t=123623&p=631989&hilit=mac+pro+video+earl#p631989

I'm too busy to check the links, but maybe you'll get something from that?

I'm 100% sure it exists. I think it was a sort of webcast a few years ago, only about Logic and everybody shared a "special tip". With this "instant piano" you could quickly play some notes on your keyboard controller WITHOUT changing the track selection in Logic. Such a thing is a real help when editing any tonal sounds (like vocals, keys, guitars, bass etc.). So ... can anybody help me with that?

btw am sure it's real; hope u know i was kidding around (i do that a lot on the forum)....

OK, here it goes. Open a new project, create one software instrument track with your piano of choice loaded into it.

Now open a (MIDI) Environment window

then open a second MIDI Environment window

in the first window, go to the clicks and ports layer via the dropdown menu upper left corner.

For ease of view, drag the channel strip with your piano onto the window showing the clicks and ports layer.

Now either from the monitor object or from the virtual keyboard object, pull a cable from the second arrow onto the channel strip with the piano in your other environment window, like this:

(ignore the opening title)

1773099932_Instantpiano.thumb.gif.c21ba5df145207585a9978ed70caaf5c.gif

Now close both environment windows and save the project as a template called "instant piano". You can also create it in any project where you need it, once you know how to do it, it is fairly easy.

Now no matter what channel strip you select, the piano is hard wired to the MIDI input. You can either put it to channel 16 and switch your keyboard to 16 if you want the piano to sound, or, what I prefer, just keep it on channel 1 - if you do NOT want to hear the piano, simply press its mute button on the channel strip or track header.