Alchemy: browser GEMS!

3ple

Ok so we have the user tags and those are great. But what if we want extra categories and have them sit right where the default categories are? Or maybe an extra genre, etc?

Well, this workaround is something you need to do for every update of Logic, since you will be changing a file inside the app itself, but I truly think it's worth it and if you save those files somewhere, you just need to drag and drop.

Go to /Applications/Logic Pro X.app/Contents/Frameworks/MAAlchemy.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Libraries/Attributes

Open any of the csv files and add new lines (adding new numbers, of course) with the categories, genres, etc, you want. Make sure the number and the name are separated by using the TAB key on your keyboard (that's what the CSV needs in order to process that info). For all files, it's 1(one) space between the number and the name.

Note that the Subcategory.csv file is different, because it's associated with a main category. It's pretty simple to understand how it works, as it has a main number after the title. That will be the parent category. For this file, you have 1 space between the number and the name, BUT you have 2 spaces between the name and the second number (the parent category).

Ok so far so good!

What about the Sound Designer? What if you want to tag your presets with your own name?

I was trying with the 10 Sound Designer.csv file, but for some reason it didn't work. BUT if you want you can create as many drowndown menus as you want (including a new Sound Designer, just with a different name so it doesn't create any conflict):

1 - Copy and paste one of the already created CSV files, for example, duplicate the 14 Older Than.csv file.

2 - Rename it, for example, 15 Creator.csv

3 - Open the file and add as many lines as you want starting at 15000 (this is related to the number on the file name: 15 Creator). Always add ONE extra space using the TAB key, between the number and the name for example: 15000 3ple

Now when you go to Alchemy, you will see that extra dropdown menu. If you don't see it, maybe it means you are still using an instance of Alchemy. Remove the plugin from the channel strip and insert it again.

I tried it with up to 18 csv files total, so 8 extra files besides the default ones and it worked like a charm. I'm not sure if you will ever need as many, but feel free to try it ;)

I really hope this brings a bit more flexibility to Alchemy's browser so you can organize your presets in a more custom way. Yes the user tags are useful, but limited, since you can't have a sub-tag. Example: with user tags you can have the name of 10 sound designers, but they will be on a list. If you have 500 user tags, that means a list with 500 tags that you have to scroll down. Not practical!

With this method, you can organize each group of tags in one CSV file and also, you don't have to worry if you accidentally delete a user tag and suddenly all your presets with that tag, don't have that tag anymore ;)

So, make sure you save this folder with the CSV files somewhere so you can add all these files back when you update Logic.

Let me know what you think! :)

UPDATE: so I figured it out when it comes to the Sound Designer.

Let's say you want to tag each preset with different Sound Designer names.

Create default presets with each name. Example:

John.acp

Lewis.acp

Matt.acp

Maybe save them in a folder, so you know where to find them and also to prevent you from deleting them accidentally. Mine is SoundDesigners.

Now open those files using TextEdit and replace Author = Unknown Artist with the name you want, example: Author = John

Do this for all 3 files, each with each name.

John.acp (Author = John)

Lewis.acp (Author = Lewis)

Matt.acp (Author = Matt)

Refresh your Alchemy's library and when you go to the browser, under Sound Designers, you will see John, Lewis, Matt.

As long as you keep presets with those Sound Designers as a tag, you will always be able to tag other presets the same way.

The only thing I noticed is that when creating a new preset, it doesn't let me add the Sound Designer via the browser. I need to actually edit the acp file manually by adding the Author... but well, better than nothing ;) If you don't want to use the Sound Designer, then just create a new CSV file as I explained above with maybe "Creator" as the name.

Another workaround: delete the Sound Designer.csv file, create a new one after the last one you have, for example 15 SoundDesigner (without the space) and edit this file instead starting at 15000

Hope it helps! :)