EXS24 issue when saving Package

3ple
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

I was working on a template and what I noticed is that when I saved as a package, any EXS24 sampler instruments were saved, but not the samples

If I then play on my keyboard, it plays, but when I go to EXS24 > Edit, all samples show the orange exclamation mark. If I play while that window is open, I get an error saying that the EXS24 doesn't exist, but still plays the sound.

Anyone experience this? I never really liked the package function, and to be honest with this kind of bug, I tend to dislike it even more... :/

UPDATE: I tested it as a Folder and the same happens. It doesn't save the samples and when I go to Edit, it shows the orange exclamation mark. What the hell??? I selected to save everything so I can have all inside the folder, that's why we have that option, but only the EXS file is saved, the Ultrabeat samples, but no EXS24 samples at all. Of course, once I close the project and open it again, it says it can't find the samples... so annoying...! And when the window to find the samples pop up, it doesn't even show me the factory location, only projects where I have it saved...

I hope Apple decides to once and for all pick ONE location for all their samples instead of Application Support, GarageBand, Logic, etc... why making it so hard and complex?

orange exclamation mark

hmm, I never have that when saving a copy. I always use the folder version too. I like to SEE everything .-) It soothes me

could it be something like a Drive Permission read/write thing

What version of Logic do you have?

Can you please try and save a project including the Sampler Instruments and Samples and see if it saves?

As I mentioned, I’m experiencing this even when saving it as a folder. I don’t believe this is a permission issue because it saves Ultrabeat’s samples... the issue is just with EXS24 and Space Designer’s impulses which are also Not saved

I tried this:

1) New empty project, one audio track.

2) Record 3 regions.

3) Select the 3 regions and choose Track > Convert Regions to New Sampler Track.

4) Create sampler track.

5) Save project as folder.

I then closed and reopened the project: no issues, no orange exclamation marks in the EXS24 editor.

Instead of doing that do this:

Create an empty project, insert the exs24 with the Pop Bass factory preset. Save it including the sampler instrument asset. Also, include a space designer and include the impulses asset to see if that is included as well. Close and reopen.

I tried this:

1) New empty project, one audio track.

2) Record 3 regions.

3) Select the 3 regions and choose Track > Convert Regions to New Sampler Track.

4) Create sampler track.

5) Save project as folder.

I then closed and reopened the project: no issues, no orange exclamation marks in the EXS24 editor.

When you do that, the EXS24 is loading the samples from the Audio Files folder. If you look at your project folder, you will see the Sampler Instruments folder with the preset, then a Samples folder and that is the one that should have the samples. When you use a factory preset for example it should save the Sampler instrument and the samples folder. This used to work in the past so we can share projects with other people. As you see, since you don’t have the Pop Bass preset, if I shared the project with you, you wouldn’t be able to play that bass

• Solution
When you do that, the EXS24 is loading the samples from the Audio Files folder. If you look at your project folder, you will see the Sampler Instruments folder with the preset, then a Samples folder and that is the one that should have the samples. When you use a factory preset for example it should save the Sampler instrument and the samples folder. This used to work in the past so we can share projects with other people. As you see, since you don’t have the Pop Bass preset, if I shared the project with you, you wouldn’t be able to play that bass

Yes this all works as expected here. When using factory content, make sure you've selected Include Apple Sound Library Content upon saving?

Yes this all works as expected here. When using factory content, make sure you've selected Include Apple Sound Library Content upon saving?

Ooohhhhh so that's what that is?!

In the past there was no such thing as "Apple Sound Content", not that I remember...

I ticked that box and now it saved both the EXS24 and the Impulses. It's a bit "non sense" to be honest. If you tick the boxes for Sampler Instruments and Impulses, it should include everything. Factory and non-factory. It's not a very obvious thing. They could make it clearer like "Sampler Instruments (user)" and "Sampler Instruments (factory)". The same for Impulses, Ultrabeat, etc...

Oh well, now I know... ;) I wish I knew this like a few years ago... thanks David!

make sure you've selected Include Apple Sound Library Content upon saving

yes, it works. That's what I probably did all the time

3ple I'm with you - confusing

Screen Shot 2020-03-06 at 11.16.00.png

Every time I looked at that option, all I read was "Apple Loops", even though it was "Apple Sound" not "Apple Loops", I assumed that they were talking about the Apple Loops content.

I really think they should make it simpler:

Sampler Instruments (user) [box]

Sampler Instruments (factory) [box]

Impulse Responses (user) [box]

Impulse Responses (factory) [box]

etc

More boxes to tick, sure, but at least we would know exactly what those mean. Or if they have a single option for all factory content, at least make it more obvious and explain what that is, for example:

Factory Content (sampler instruments, ultrabeat samples, impulse responses)

This would be WAY easier and self-explanatory instead of "Apple Sound Content". What does that even mean? hahaha ("Oh let's be fancy and call it "Apple Sound")

instead of "Apple Sound Content". What does that even mean?

It's Apple Sound Library Content. So basically any content that is part of the Apple Sound Library you install when you install Logic Pro. In other words factory stuff. I believe Apple shied away from the term "factory" because they don't want anyone to imagine that their software is built in a factory (it isn't).

That checkbox is indeed a new-ish setting, not sure when exactly it was introduced but Logic used to not have that setting and behave as if it was always on (if I remember correctly).

instead of "Apple Sound Content". What does that even mean?

It's Apple Sound Library Content. So basically any content that is part of the Apple Sound Library you install when you install Logic Pro. In other words factory stuff. I believe Apple shied away from the term "factory" because they don't want anyone to imagine that their software is built in a factory (it isn't).

That checkbox is indeed a new-ish setting, not sure when exactly it was introduced but Logic used to not have that setting and behave as if it was always on (if I remember correctly).

Not sure if that was the real reason behind it... it's hard for me to believe that people would think that, because Apple is not who came up with that term to identify content that comes with the software. Even if that was the reason (which would be kind silly, both for people to think that and for apple to change it because of that), then we would have to see it change all across the program, which is not.

1870679823_ScreenShot2020-03-06at10_39_21AM.png.b98dcba0f6eed69613cba7dea9ef160b.png

That's why I sometimes rant about Apple and their lack of consistency. For example, if they started changing the GUI for certain plugins, then why not all at the same time? Some look like 1995 and some are new. It's been a few years since they started that and still haven't had time to update them all? It kinda feels like they don't have a "system" to make everything at the same time and make us get used to the changes. In one place it's called "Apple Sound Content", but then on the EXS24 it's still called "Factory".

Also, why having Sampler Instruments and Samples in different places and not all in one place, both for GarageBand and Logic? That's the only thing that really bothers me, to be honest...

Not sure if that was the real reason behind it...

It is definitely the real reason, I got it straight from the horse's mouth. ;)

I'm with you with the inconsistencies throughout the Logic Pro X interface being a little frustrating.

Well if that’s the case (which I still think it’s silly because it became a standard in all programs and plugins) then they could change it on the EXS24 and then next time we would see it somewhere else, we would identify it right away, since we use that menu on the exs more than the assets panel ;)

I’m gonna send my letter to become the supervisor at apple and start making those guys work properly hahaha

Well if that’s the case (which I still think it’s silly because it became a standard in all programs and plugins)

Silly? You're talking about a software that continues to insist on calling its Metronome "Klopfgeist." :lol:

hahaha right!!!

my next project: create a new DAW! lol

my next project: create a new DAW! lol

You should call it "Mouzbetonknista". Just sayin'.

yes, to make it simple hahaha

or maybe, to make it real simple... I will just call it "DAW" ;) there's no way they will not know what that program is for haha

You should call it "Mouzbetonknista". Just sayin'.

or maybe, to make it real simple... I will just call it "DAW" ;) there's no way they will not know what that program is for haha

this it the internet... :roll:

"DAW"... what does it do?" "can i run it in Logic?" "how do you pronounce it?" "does it have an adblocker?" etc etc

this it the internet... :roll:

"DAW"... what does it do?" "can i run it in Logic?" "how do you pronounce it?" "does it have an adblocker?" etc etc

For sure haha