How to troubleshoot Logic X Crashes?

AMD

Hi everyone.

Logic has been crashing on me a lot recently and I'm wondering how I can determine the reason(s). I haven't updated anything in many months, so I'm puzzled as to why this is happening now.

It mainly happens when I start Logic. Somewhere during the startup process, Logic crashes and generates a report. I'm not sure what to look for in the reports. The word 'crash' is mentioned at the beginning of the report as follows, but I have no idea what it means. There's tons of info afterwards, but again, I've no idea what it means. Does this mean something to any of you?

Thanks.

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION (SIGILL)

Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000001, 0x0000000000000000

Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal: Illegal instruction: 4

Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0x4

Terminating Process: exc handler [2625]

One thing you could try is to make a backup of your Logic preferences then remove them from the Preferences folder and restart your Mac, following all 7 steps below:

1. In Logic Pro, note any custom preference settings that you’ve made, and save any custom key commands you've created.

2. Quit Logic Pro.

3. In the Finder, hold down Option while you choose Go > Library.

4. Inside the Library folder, open the Preferences folder.

5. Remove the "com.apple.logic10.plist" file from the Preferences folder.

6. If you upgraded from Logic 9 or earlier to Logic Pro X, also remove the "com.apple.logic.pro" file.

7. Restart your Mac.

One thing you could try is to make a backup of your Logic preferences then remove them from the Preferences folder and restart your Mac, following all 7 steps below:

1. In Logic Pro, note any custom preference settings that you’ve made, and save any custom key commands you've created.

2. Quit Logic Pro.

6. If you upgraded from Logic 9 or earlier to Logic Pro X, also remove the "com.apple.logic.pro" file.

7. Restart your Mac.

Thanks David. I've tried that and will keep an eye on it. So far, so good, so fingers crossed.

Hi. Mine's been crashing also since my last update. Usually while recording or deleting a recent recording.

Hi likwidayshun. Can you update your signature so everyone knows what you're system you're running?

Hi. Mine's been crashing also since my last update. Usually while recording or deleting a recent recording.

As a first step you could try removing the preferences as in David’s suggestion above.

As a first step you could try removing the preferences as in David’s suggestion above.

Yeah I gave that a go. I wasn't finding or getting any of the links or options to do so.

Yeah I gave that a go. I wasn't finding or getting any of the links or options to do so.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'getting links and options' exactly. Did you follow the steps above? If so, how far did you get?

2. Quit Logic Pro.

7. Restart your Mac.

It was all going well after deleting the prefs until just now. I opened my recent Logic project, which actually opened fully for a second and then crashed. This time the report was slightly different (see below). Just wondering if there's anything else I can try?

Thanks.

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000024f20

Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal: Segmentation fault: 11

Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb

Terminating Process: exc handler [11143]

VM Regions Near 0x24f20:

-->

__TEXT 0000000109c6d000-000000010b941000 [ 28.8M] r-x/rwx SM=COW /Applications/Logic Pro X.app/Contents/MacOS/Logic Pro X

It's this one that confuses me:

In the Finder I'm then assuming I go to My Macbook Pro. If that's right I then double click on library with option held down. Then double clicking on preferences I see many listings ending in plist but nothing with logic in them.

It's the phrase choose Go > Library that I may be getting lost in.