Apple MIDI Loop sounds different in project

DSKcomposer
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

So I was auditioning an Apple Loop:

EzVaDZX.png

In the Apple Loops preview window it sounded vibrant (if anyone can, please check this in your Apple Loop window and listen to it)

I then dragged it onto an empty track:

zPqk3aL.png

Here is the Inspector for that immediately after dragging:

k69DwWz.png

Here is what it sounds like in the project (Fn1)

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/epicesquire/victory-a-violins-2-inproject/s-HFzR8XgP99b[/soundcloud]

I am perplexed as to why it sounds completely different after dragging it into an empty track in my project - if anyone has advice I would very much appreciate it

Thank you and be well

Fn1--Despite doing this:

1) Pasted my SoundCloud URL.

2) Selected the entire URL.

3) Clicked the SoundCloud button at the top of the text box

...it would not embed

It does sound indeed different.

It will sound more like in the loop preview pane if you drag the loop to the track header (instead of the track lane) and opt for the Sampler. Latter would have to be set in classic mode.

If you prefer using the MIDI region as in your screen capture, you could enable the EQ and compression plugins (already instantiated) and also add a reverb to equate or at least near the "vibrant" preview rendered version.

It does sound indeed different.

It will sound more like in the loop preview pane if you drag the loop to the track header (instead of the track lane) and opt for the Sampler. Latter would have to be set in classic mode.

If you prefer using the MIDI region as in your screen capture, you could enable the EQ and compression plugins (already instantiated) and also add a reverb to equate or at least near the "vibrant" preview rendered version.

I did all that and could not get it to sound exactly like the Loop

Why would the preview sound so different?

At the bottom of the Loop Preview is a tool menu. If you click on the menu you will see 'Play in Song Key' and 'Play in Original Key'

Which one you choose will change what the preview sounds like. Sounds like you have it set to 'Play in Original Key' which is fine, but when you drag it into the track it is going to play in the Song key...

Some of the classical loops have reverb built into the preview so you can hear what it sounds like in context, but don't have reverb added when you drag it into the main window, as otherwise you'd have many individual reverb plugins for each part, which won't sound right in a mix, and will use up unnecessary resources with hundreds of reverb plugins when one would do.

It's up to you to have a global reverb which you'd then send your orchestral instruments to.

Maybe try this: Before tweaking the EQ (low cut around 120 Hz, High shelve cut around 5300 Hz, band 5 (parametric filter, 5 dB boost around 1680 Hz) and adding reverb (Chromaverb|Concert Hall 75% dry, 75% Wet) - click on Strings on the channel strip, click on User Default in the drop down menu and choose Recall Default. The Instrument parameter now shows String Ensemble witch to me, sounds like the right settings for this Legacy plugin.

At the bottom of the Loop Preview is a tool menu. If you click on the menu you will see 'Play in Song Key' and 'Play in Original Key'

Which one you choose will change what the preview sounds like. Sounds like you have it set to 'Play in Original Key' which is fine, but when you drag it into the track it is going to play in the Song key...

It has nothing to do with the song key and it is set to "Ply in song key"

It is the effects on the Loop itself in the Preview that do not translate over when dragged

This occurs now on every Apple MIDI Loop and the only workaround I have found is to drag it into the Quick Sample under the "Classic" subheading - this plays the Apple MIDI Loop exactly as it plays in Preview

Some of the classical loops have reverb built into the preview so you can hear what it sounds like in context, but don't have reverb added when you drag it into the main window, as otherwise you'd have many individual reverb plugins for each part, which won't sound right in a mix, and will use up unnecessary resources with hundreds of reverb plugins when one would do.

It's up to you to have a global reverb which you'd then send your orchestral instruments to.

But then, if the above is true, why would it have the reverb and effects when I drag it to Quick sample?