Question about controller assignments hogging a MIDI input

usersincelogic4

I have a Behringer BCR2000 control surface I use a lot for controlling plugins. Typically, I use the plugins' built-in MIDI Learn functionality, because I've had some Controller Assignments issues in the past. Recently I purchased a plugin which doesn't have its own MIDI Learn, and I mapped it using Controller Assignments. It worked well for a while, then all the mappings got broken because Logic assigned a different MIDI input to them. No problem, I took my backup .cs file and restored my settings.

What is happening now is that I can control this specific plugin, but it's like Logic has locked the BCR to it and filters the BCR's MIDI away in all other situations. I used to be able to use the BCR for lots of plugins, including the one with Controller Assignments. As soon as I delete the assignments, messages from the BCR start to show up on the MIDI Monitor in the Environment again. Paste them back in, the MIDI Monitor stops displaying incoming data from the BCR. I can't work like this.

David, where art thou? :P

It's difficult to decode exactly what your issue is, other than you've done a bunch of stuff that now isn't working and can't troubleshoot it. Perhaps starting simply from scratch and working through the issues might be a better way to go?

But yes, the behaviour you describe is normal - if you learn incoming MIDI messages as controller assignments, then those are "stolen" and those MIDI messages never reach the sequencer, or environment, as designed (I've talking about this many times if you've been following along with controller assignments posts on the forum).

You can either hijack incoming MIDI to control plugin parameters directly (that's what controller assignment do) or you can not use controller assignments and let the incoming MIDI mesages pass through to Logic's sequencer & environment and make your plugins react to that incoming MIDI.

You can't do both at once for a given MIDI message.

(I didn't respond earlier as it seems you were specifically looking for David, so...)

• 2 weeks later...
It's difficult to decode exactly what your issue is, other than you've done a bunch of stuff that now isn't working and can't troubleshoot it. Perhaps starting simply from scratch and working through the issues might be a better way to go?

But yes, the behaviour you describe is normal - if you learn incoming MIDI messages as controller assignments, then those are "stolen" and those MIDI messages never reach the sequencer, or environment, as designed (I've talking about this many times if you've been following along with controller assignments posts on the forum).

You can either hijack incoming MIDI to control plugin parameters directly (that's what controller assignment do) or you can not use controller assignments and let the incoming MIDI mesages pass through to Logic's sequencer & environment and make your plugins react to that incoming MIDI.

You can't do both at once for a given MIDI message.

(I didn't respond earlier as it seems you were specifically looking for David, so...)

Thanks for the info. I found a way around the problem - selecting "bypass all control surfaces" when I want the BCR2000 to send CC messages without them getting hijacked by the controller assignments.