Sustain pedal

Walnut

Hi, I am having some weird behavior when duplicating region cells and events. I have a 4 bar piano part I played via instrument, which has sustain on the piano. I duplicate that and then on bar 5 the sustain stops and does not return even after it has looped back to bar 1. The sustain information should be duplicated as well. Any ideas? Thanks

Select the region(s) and in the inspector make sure that "Clip Length" is turned off.

Alternatively, you could also just join the two regions.

Schermafbeelding 2021-04-29 om 10.20.44.png

Cool, thanks is there a way to have this always be off as default? Why would anyone want this on as a default? Seems odd.

Cool, thanks is there a way to have this always be off as default? Why would anyone want this on as a default? Seems odd.

Clip Length avoids having unexpected behaviors from trailing MIDI controller values from previous regions when playing a new region.

An example, consider the pitch bend automation below: with Clip Length off, when I playback the two regions uninterrupted, the second region plays out of tune. Keep in mind that second region could be at the end of a song, way after the first one. With Clip Length on (and pitch bend selected in the clip length settings), this issue is resolved.

300727499_ClipLengthExample.png.186418554f6ed96404fde3d46db6e90c.png

Now I'm assuming that in your case your sustain pedal event is positioned before the downbeat of the first bar. Open that first region in the Event List editor to double-check?

Clip Length avoids having unexpected behaviors from trailing MIDI controller values from previous regions when playing a new region.

An example, consider the pitch bend automation below: with Clip Length off, when I playback the two regions uninterrupted, the second region plays out of tune. Keep in mind that second region could be at the end of a song, way after the first one. With Clip Length on (and pitch bend selected in the clip length settings), this issue is resolved.

Clip Length Example.png

Now I'm assuming that in your case your sustain pedal event is positioned before the downbeat of the first bar. Open that first region in the Event List editor to double-check?

Yeah, this would bring me to the issue of midi catch, which I just created a post about. I am coming from Cubase, so bare with me!

MIDI Record Catch Range in ms

When you record starting at the left locator, this setting helps you make sure that the very start of the recording is included. If you raise the Record Catch Range, Cubase will catch the events played just before the recording start point, eliminating this problem.

In your video I can't see where the first sustain event is - is it at 1 1 1 1 exactly? If so, move it to 1 1 1 40 or so, or to any point still overlapped by the first note. Also: why not join those regions?

You can't have it off by default, I'm afraid. Clip length does reset ALL controllers, which is what you'd want in most scenarios, which is why it is on by default.

It being off on the second part: that is a bug - or how it works: chasing is only applied on a region basis. To have it working on the whole track, join the regions into one.