CC#123 all notes off problem & the eternal golden braid

ski

Hi Fellow Environmentalists!

I programmed an environment button to output CC#123 right into the sequencer input in the Clicks/Ports layer. Works like a charm. Hung notes on the plugin I'm playing? Click the button and they die an instant death. Great!

Now, I want to remote control this button from CC#49 coming in on a different port of the Physical Input. So naturally I've run a cable from that port to the button, and programmed it to respond to CC#49. A MIDI monitor on the output of the button confirms that when it receives CC#49 it outputs, in turn, CC#123.

So all that sounds peachy, right? The problem is this... when the button receives the CC#49 "remote control", the CC#123 message it outputs has no effect (hung notes are not silenced). I can only get that CC#123 to work if I click the button directly in the environment.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Edited by ski

Thanks Jordito. To confirm my undersanding, you were able to record the CC#123 in a region (at which time it had no effect) but upon playback it worked?

Herr Moth, I do indeed know the tome. I studied that book intensely at one time, got about 3/4 of the way through it. I think I kind of burned out on it towards the end, just at a time that coincided with a popularization/commercialization of Escher's work and it kind of put a damper on my enthusiasm. Still, whatever I got out of it I believe had an enormous influence on my way of thinking and, dare I say it, made me smarter. I'd always felt a need to get the IQ rating up from the single digits to at least the low teens, and reading that book did the trick.

Actually, if memory serves, at the same time I stopped reading the book I picked up another, similarly-sized tome and started learning about Environment programming in Logic 2. So yes, Gerhard,Environment,Brain has been a big influence.

Now, where was I?

:lol:

Ooh!

Twilight Zone!

I,too,got about 3/4 through and lent it to a mate,and never seen it since.

Must buy a new copy,if only to freak my son's brain out.

Probably the most enlightening and mind blowing thing I've ever read.

On so many levels,and with regard to so many 'disciplines'.

Hypercool.

Read while practicing from or a la Slimoninsky for a true surround experience.

RISS Pecked!

Spooky indeed!

The spine of my copy is broken in multiple places. Upon first acquiring the book I treated it like a precious thing, wanting to keep it in pristine condition. But after a while I felt the need to work on some of the math stuff for real (not just read about it and go "wow") at which point I broke the spine to get it to lay flat while I worked out the examples.

Read while practicing from or a la Slimoninsky for a true surround experience.

I have a copy too. Every once in a while I open it to the first interpolation and when I look at it it scares me to death though I know it should excite me. Then I close it. Perhaps this is a subject for another thread... But before leaving that topic, do you have a copy with the book jacket? If so, read Schoenberg's short blurb. It's hilarious! If you don't have the jacket I'll transcribe it here for you. Lemme know.

RISS Pecked!

O Cryptic One, what does this mean?

Thanks Jordito. To confirm my undersanding, you were able to record the CC#123 in a region (at which time it had no effect) but upon playback it worked?

Well, actually I drew some cc41 data (just because) in an empty region and cabled the output of the channel strip object that track was assigned to...to a button fader configured to take cc41 as input and cc123 as output.

J.

My spine was broken too,to the extent that whole chunks of pages were loose,and some odd individual ones.

Should really have a use copy and a keep copy.

:D

Lost my Slimoninsky,but found it better to come up with your own variations (fun in itself) that are more 'instrument specific'.

Different kettle of fish doing weird progressions on a woodwind instrument than on a bass guitar.

Ya dig?

And in thinking 'em up yourself you see and feel all sorts of weird relationships that wouldn't be immediately apparent otherwise.

And it forces you to think in ways you wouldn't if you were reading them.

And sparks the next step...ad infinitum...

I came up with my own slant on harmony (natural extrapolation simple relationships) which eventually lead to my mate gifting me Schoenberg's Harmony.

Similar conclusions.

:shock:

Hard read 'cause of the olde worlde language,but cool non the less.

Don't remember the Schoenberg's blurb,but it's been a while.

The same mate worked in Vienna for a year or 2 and his local was where Schoenberg,Freud and a few other mega brains used to sit and get pissed while debating Life,the Universe and Everything.

RISS Pecked was just a crap alt sp for ...

:oops:

when the button receives the CC#49 "remote control", the CC#123 message it outputs has no effect (hung notes are not silenced). I can only get that CC#123 to work if I click the button directly in the environment.

CC# messages above CC120 do not work externally for very long time - it is known bug.

My bug fix advice is to use a sys fader and bang it externally using any CC# so you can send 127 note Off reset messages instead one CC123. In some scenarios if you know the "the note range" or the "note #(s)" you must kill, you can patch a transformer filter (mapper) to filter the banged "OFFs" you do not need.

Cloggy,

Here's what Schoenberg wrote to Slonimsky about his Thesaurus:

"I looked through your whole book and was very interested to find that you have in all probability organized every possible succession of tones. This is an admirable feat of mental gymnastics. But as a composer, I must believe in inspiration rather than in mechanics."

Hi, I am dealing with a similar issue. I actually posted a query here:

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?p=309509#309509

I'm not particularly familiar with the proposed solution (especially setting the parameters of the fader object) so to clarify the workaround, should first create a new fader object:

1. new>fader>button

2. cable it somewhere between the physical input sum and sequencer input

3. And adjust the parameters of the fader as such (I believe this is my issue as they seem incorrect)

Here is an image:

http://screencast.com/t/OGZmODBhYjct

I can see the fader moving when I press my sustain pedal but the data is not being transformed or triggering a cc120 or 123.

Maybe I am not understanding the solution. Any help is much appreciated.