Logic screen flash after wake from sleep

maceasy

Anybody else see this? After waking from sleep, I can't do anything with Logic, the screen flashes white, most of the commands, including quit, are greyed out, and I can't do anything with it. I have to force quit and relaunch. I would like to be able to put the computer to sleep and come back to a project, as I have done for many years on previous Macs. Any ideas?

Sure, I could do that. However, I have never had to that before this new computer. And I like working on something, putting the computer to sleep instead of leaving it full blast on, and then resuming hours later where I left off. It has never been a problem before. I would like to know if this is default behaviour for Logic, which is incompatible with sleep, or do I have a conflict with something? Can other people successfully use sleep whilst in the middle of projects and return to working normally? Please let me know.

I would like to know if this is default behaviour for Logic, which is incompatible with sleep

This appears to be the case.

Here's anotherthread on the subject.

Search "site:logicprohelp.com sleep" in Google (without the quotes). You will find plenty of threads to read about this issue. Most common recommendation is to set sleep mode to Never. Use screen saver. Shut down when not in use or leave on, your choice (there's an ongoing debate about that).

That's a very old thread. Actually I just remembered, I have Logic on my Macbook which is Intel core duo and 10.6.6, and I can do what I have been doing for years: use sleep and on waking carry on using Logic. So it clearly works, but not on the new MP. I will try disabling some stuff and try and narrow down what is causing it. I certainly don't want to have to switch off and reboot, or leave the computer going full blast when I take a break. Anybody else?

That's a very old thread.

But the advice it contains is still relevant.

I certainly don't want to (...) leave the computer going full blast when I take a break.

Why not? That's what I do. Display goes to sleep, machine stays on. If I'm not going to use it for an extended period of time, I turn it off.

Anybody else?

Like Scott, I recommend to never use sleep mode with Logic. It can create all sorts of unstability issues.

Ditto on never putting the computer to sleep. It's bad practice because it's a known cause of problems. So in a nutshell, if you don't want to invite problems, don't put your computer to sleep. Oh, the problems you're having with sleep have nothing to do with Logic per se.

Now, I understand the whole idea of "it's a brand new computer, why doesn't it (do such and such)" but keep in mind that brand new or not, not all features and functions of any computer (or software) always work perfectly. And sometimes they work perfectly until they stop working perfectly.

Not sure what you mean by "leaving my computer on full blast". When your computer is idle it's just idle. True, it might be consuming more power when it's on rather than sleeping, but if you're using your system to produce music -- especially on a professional level -- then it behooves you to leave everything on all the time while you're working on a track.

I use screensavers with no difficulties myself. Otherwise, my computer(s) never sleep. HD's are set to never sleep either. To do so just invites trouble.

Ok, I take your point, and it makes sense. It's just that I have been used to not switching off my computer for weeks - just putting it to sleep at night, then carrying on the next day. I like being able to go straight back into it. Despite all you say, it worked fine on the G5. So I want to do the same on this one. I don't really want to leave it on overnight, waste of electricity and resources. So I'll see if i can make it work. If not, too bad, but I like that way of doing it, and I am not the only one - lots of people never switch off their computer overnight or for many weeks. Shocking, eh?

I hear ya, maceasy. Funny, with my steam-powered G4 Powerbook (my spare computer for checking emails and stuff) I can put that thing to sleep and wake it without thinking about it for weeks on end (though I don't use it to run Logic). However, I can't say the thing for my wife's MPB... just the other day it wouldn't wake from sleep, and all she had running was Excel. To quote Mr. Vonnegut, "so it goes" I guess.

Regards,

Ski

In my music studio, I leave my computer on 24/7 for weeks on end without any problem. It never goes to sleep. While a computer left on 24/7 requires a bit more power than one you turn off every night, the differences are not dramatic, as starting up a computer requires a big splurge of power. Also consider the wear and tear on all the equipment in the computer. RAM, HDs, CPU, Motherboard, etc etc.. the wear and tear you save on those components by turning them off at night is about the equivalent wear and tear you apply on the same components by starting them up from cold in the morning.

So for the same reason you don't turn your car engine off at every red light, you don't turn off your computer every chance you get.

My computer rarely stays unused for longer than 5 hours so to me it's a no brainer. If I'm going to go away for the week end I'll turn it off.

My computer rarely stays unused for longer than 5 hours so to me it's a no brainer. If I'm going to go away for the week end I'll turn it off.

Yikes! What kind of computer alcoholic are you - only 5 hours between sessions? I thought I was bad.':shock:' LOL

Please take those weekends off more often.

:wink:

Thanks, guys.