Instrument sends to MIDI port no longer exists [SOLVED]

Staleyolk
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

Hey guys Im just wondering what to do about this. Its not crippling to my workflow but it is a nuisance to have a message popping up about two pieces of gear that I don't even own anymore. (Old interface, Old keyboard) In fact none of those pieces of gear were ever used or had their drivers installed on my current production computer. The message just pops up on old projects (that are not done yet :shock:) from when i had that setup. Now do I have to delete something in the environment like the midi path it suggests? I would not go in and delete anything there on my own without advice btw, or is there a message prompt log where I can delete it there. That fantastic little "Don't show again" check box does absolutely nothing. :(

-Matthew

519005051_Screenshot2011-09-18at1_03_45PM.png.d3516e9759fb89c23ce536a6e09771a1.png

• 3 years later...

Here's another issue, I'm getting the alert:

Instrument “Pro40 MIDI” sends to a MIDI port named “MIDI” of MIDI interface “Pro40” which no longer exists.

I'm using a Saffire Pro 40 pre and am not seeing evidence of it in the Environment Window - even when viewing with MIDI layer.

Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

• 2 years later...

Hello David

my pop up says: "sends to audio-interface C600 which no longer exists" ... My first 2 steps were those you had already recommended above ... whilst in Preferences/Audio the new interface (Motu 828es) is set ... any idea where I can disable the C600? ... thanks loads! cheers!

anyways I could not find the C600 in the "environment" or at "control surfaces" ... so here my screenshot:

thanks

Great, thanks, so yes that points to the same instructions as I posted earlier here: viewtopic.php?p=697228#p391984 – those will definitely help you solve the issue, but you need to figure out where the process fails... can you find the "MIDI Instr." layer?

thanks David. I checked all environment layers three times (icons and text wise) ... cant find any "Fast Track C600" ... aaaah hold on ... "METRONOM" ... did it ... aaaah stupid me ... I over read the most important word "metronom"... changed its port to "828es" ... now Logic does not complain anymore ... thanks mate! ;-) next drink is on me! ;-)

2119450002_Bildschirmfoto2018-03-01um18_38_35.jpg.7962180fa8e5f9c4dcceecd067b72078.jpg

• 1 year later...

HELLO guys. I see some experts here with the same problem.

please give me a hands up.

I have the same problem

.Instrument “SPD Series SPD” sends to a MIDI port named “SPD” of MIDI interface “SPD Series” which no longer exists.

what I do. ?

keyboard and interface are connected. any advice?

I have the same problem

.Instrument “SPD Series SPD” sends to a MIDI port named “SPD” of MIDI interface “SPD Series” which no longer exists.

what I do. ?

If those devices are no longer in use follow David's instructions.

If the mentioned devices are still in use (and connected as it seems what you are stating), check in your AMS that they are detected. If your "SPD" devices requires drivers, make sure those are up to date. In both cases, also ensure that your cables are reliable.

I have the same problem

what I do. ?

Locate the instrument in the MIDI Instr. layer (or whatever layer of the environment the instrument is in) and in the Inspector choose the correct MIDI port for that instrument. Then save the project again to commit to that new choice.

• 1 year later...

For me the Inspector shows no MIDI port information for any tracks at all. I get the "MIDI port no longer exits" message with every recording. On the other hand I'm not clear what "MIDI Instr. layer (or whatever layer of the environment the instrument is in)" means. Is an "instrument layer" a 'track'?

I have the same problem

what I do. ?

Locate the instrument in the MIDI Instr. layer (or whatever layer of the environment the instrument is in) and in the Inspector choose the correct MIDI port for that instrument. Then save the project again to commit to that new choice.

• 3 months later...
For me the Inspector shows no MIDI port information for any tracks at all. I get the "MIDI port no longer exits" message with every recording. On the other hand I'm not clear what "MIDI Instr. layer (or whatever layer of the environment the instrument is in)" means. Is an "instrument layer" a 'track'?

Sorry I'm seeing your question only now.

You need to open the environment (Window > Open MIDI Environment). You'll see a Layer pop-up menu at the top left. Click it and choose MIDI Instr.

layer-menu.gif.621c0ea242f52660dcaa39f547ba3e86.gif

Sorry I'm seeing your question only now.

You need to open the environment (Window > Open MIDI Environment). You'll see a Layer pop-up menu at the top left. Click it and choose MIDI Instr.

Thanks for responding David!

Unfortunately, "Open MIDI Environment" does not appear in the Window menu.

(Edit: The next post solves this.)

Edited by shaunwortis

OK. I've solved this. Will try to make it clear for all others:

1. Use the key command ⌘0 (zero). This will launch the MIDI environment window, or will tell you that you must have "MIDI" checked in the "Advanced" tab in Logic Pro Preferences. This setting does not appear to be on by default but one can make a mess of MIDI nevertheless.

2. After enabling "MIDI" in the "Advanced" tab in Logic Pro Preferences, the MIDI Environment window can be opened (via ⌘0 (zero) or the new option in the "Window" menu).

3. In the MIDI Environment window, there is a non-visible menu next to "Layer" in the left panel, which will be visible when hovering over "All Objects". Change that menu to "MIDI Inst." and the list of MIDI instruments will show.

4. Delete the no longer existing MIDI.

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...