multi out Kontakt drums and Logic

Tshh

When you insert Kontakt on a Logic software instrument track. Select multi-out. Then in your mixer window you should see a little + sign at the bottom of the channel strip. click that a few times and have at it! :)

Yes I understand that part for say the ultra beat etc, but don't know how it applies to assigning independant channel strips to a bass drum and/or other drums to each have seperate strip controls effect etc in Kontakt. Is it multi timbral intrument i would create then something in the Kontakt interface? Maybe theres a logic vid somewhere i dunno. Once again it seems i want someone to do my homework for me, ehe.

Thanks

Have you thought of typing in Kontakt in Logic on the youtube site. I did and came up with your answer for you. Check it out.

I hope its not the one where the kid says: 'I can't really explain it that well so i'm going to just go ahead and jump into it.'

In Logic 9 Multiple Kontakt outputs...but if it is well, thanks anyway.

In Logic, choose Track > New and make sure "Multi-timbral" is selected. Create as many software instrument tracks as you want for one instance of Kontakt. You'll be able to see the MIDI channel of each track in the track parameters in the Inspector.

Each MIDI Channel is routed to one sound in Kontakt, where you assign it under the "MIDI Ch:" parameter.

In Logic, choose Track > New and make sure "Multi-timbral" is selected. Create as many software instrument tracks as you want for one instance of Kontakt. You'll be able to see the MIDI channel of each track in the track parameters in the Inspector.

Each MIDI Channel is routed to one sound in Kontakt, where you assign it under the "MIDI Ch:" parameter.

Ok i see. This has been done and noted. Importing instrument patches to the Kontakt rack, this is where i am. I only seem to have kit presets that includes the whole kit. Where are the patches of intruments as groups such as Kicks/Snares etc. Don't tell me i have to create these patch groups!? I can't seem to locate individual instruments to drag into the rack i'm almost there...what information am i missing?

Thanks to all.

Depends which drums you are talking about. eg In Studio Drummer you can assign individual drums to separate outputs within the Kontakt mixer.

Its ARoads. First when David suggests multi timbral, lets say i create 4 tracks, then i place the instrument (kontakt) into the strips i/o, what do i choose, simply the stereo, so that i have 4 stereo tracks in one instance of Kontakt, or the multi out 16 stereo? The way it is now i have the 4 inst. channels and they're indicated in the inspector as midi channel 1 through 4 as David said, i chose the stereo option when inserting kontakt into the instrument i/o. In the mixer view on Kontakt i load the sparkle kit as an example, i see the kick in the mixer and the other drums and at the bottom there is no option for say midi out 1 through 4 anywhere, just options of -default, st.1, and none-. Thank God i only work part time. Anyone?

Did you by any chance configured the outputs internally in Kontakt itself?

Open the Kontakt plugin and click on the output tab at the top. There you can build your outputs (add channels) which will be assigned in host programs. By default only stere out is created. You can also the save your setup as the default for different instances(VST,AU,Standalone,...)

After you've done this follow the directions you got from posts above.(multi out version of plugin,....)

Regards J

Did you by any chance configured the outputs internally in Kontakt itself?

Open the Kontakt plugin and click on the output tab at the top. There you can build your outputs (add channels) which will be assigned in host programs. By default only stere out is created. You can also the save your setup as the default for different instances(VST,AU,Standalone,...)

After you've done this follow the directions you got from posts above.(multi out version of plugin,....)

Regards J

I've managed to get drums assigned to the aux strip on the multi out, i have all Kontakts drums coming out of the main channel strip and bass and snare and hihat out of three aux from that strip. Why is it they're uneffected by Kontakts own instrument effects when the main mixer strip has them sounding with all of kontakts effects settings. I'd like them to sound as they are processed by kontakt then have it so i can add effects to that.

Thanks, i'm making progress. i'm hoping for a simpler logic in the funtioning of software but as usual it seems to be a bit of a hike.

ok - here's what i do. I have a default setup on Kontakt that has about 8 stereo outputs. In order to do this open up Kontakt and go to the outputs section. use add output and just use the default name - ie, st.1, st.2 etc. They should appear in the mixer section of abbey road drums. you may need to unload the instrument then reload it in order for the new outputs to be available inside the abbey road instrument. Then, in the mixer section you can choose where to route your kick sounds, snare sounds etc to. so, for example, go to the miser section of the abbey road drumkit, right click where it says 'default' underneath the funky old fader for the kick drum. a drop down menu will appear and you select st.1 - now do the same for all the others individual drums - i tend to do kick, snare, hi hats, toms and the the stereo overhead and stereo room mics each to their own output. then mute the mono OH and the mono room mic (as they're still routed to default they'll come out the st.1 channel and therefore be affected by any processing you apply to the kick drum on that channel strip).

this is all assuming that you've already opened an instance of Kontakt with multiple outs (though you dont necessarily need multi timbral as you'll only be using one instrument per se (the drumkit) and routing it to multiple outs, as opposed to opening multiple instances of the drum kit in Kontakt and then addressing only one kit piece at a time on each drum kit).

soooo, go to your mixer in logic and as others have said you'll see a wee + symbol at the bottom of the Kontakt channel strip. press this a few times to open up aux tracks for each output - the main channel will be st.1, aux 1 wil be st.2, etc.

You should then be able to apply processing to each individual piece, automation to each etc etc.

I think i havent explained it very well but it is a bit tricky to do. if you're still having trouble i'll try and do screen grabs for you when im on the mac (on laptop at mo, watching tv, surfing and eating supper - who says men cant multitask!!)

Cheers

DaveyBee

ok - here's what i do. (snip lots of usefull stuff)

Cheers

DaveyBee

Alright thanks DaveyBee i'm goin to run through your stuff in a short while, thanks for all the suggestions everyone. If i have anymore questions i know where to find you guys! Cheers from Manitoba!

how did you get on?

db

Sidetracked! Went and bought that RME Babyface on Friday and so i'm just trying to get organized and trying to get a better understanding of BF's Totalmix app...then i had to work last couple of days and so i'm not quite mentally as fresh as i'd like to be

to absorb this stuff, but i'm off for a few after tomorrow and i'm going to run through your suggestions and get back to you.

:arrow: Tshh

how did you get on?

db

Ok i've run through your 'stuff' and what i'm getting is a signal for all drums still coming through Logics main Kontakt instrument strip in logics mixer. I've added the addition channels via the + symbol. Why aren't the individual drums routed and signalling in their own strips within Logic? There is signal indication for each individual drum within Kontakts mixer (where i created the additional channels and assigned drums) but why don't they route (signal) to the muti out strip within Kontakt's instrument strip within Logic. I'm missing something here -which isn't really suprising...ehe.

Tshh

Click the button in Kontakt that says "Reset Outputs" in the Kontakt Mixer window. That worked for me. :)

There is no button in the Kontakt mixer that says 'reset outputs', that i can see, there is however a button in the outputs section that says 'preset/batch configuration' that has a drop down menu with one option as 'reset outputs section( to target defaults). This doesn't do it for me as it eliminates my added channels. :|

Tshh

Click the button in Kontakt that says "Reset Outputs" in the Kontakt Mixer window. That worked for me. :)

There is no button in the Kontakt mixer that says 'reset outputs', that i can see, there is however a button in the outputs section that says 'preset/batch configuration' that has a drop down menu with one option as 'reset outputs section( to target defaults). This doesn't do it for me as it eliminates my added channels. :|

Tshh

Hmmm maybe you have a different Kontakt than me. I don't have my laptop with me right now, or else I would take a screenshot to show you what mine looks like. :(

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I see this thread is over a month old, but I had read it for reference for my own struggles getting Studio Drummer to route properly to Logic channels. The issue from the lack of separation was indeed from the three mic channels being routed to the master channel (which is channel 1 by default, or in my named instance the kick channel). While the others suggest you mute those three mic channels, you want to keep them for that added ambience of realism...so what you need to do is create at least one more channel for those three and then route them to that specific channel, and click the little + to add one more track. I found that added EQ, and effects to that gave the drums way more depth, with out needing too much for the actual drum tracks them selves

• 4 months later...

I know this thread is a few months old but I thought I would give it a resolution

Peace

[/youtube]

Oh.. and.. BEST... AVATAR...EVER. :lol:

Not the URL, just video ID string - like this:

[youtube]