Multi outs with Studio Drummer & Logic

JCcares

I have been having a tough time trying to get NI Studio Drummer instruments on separate tracks on Logic.In fact I am still struggling with the Kontakt output mixer for a week almost.I guess if the Kontakt output is set in the right way,there may not be any problem getting the individual instruments on the Logic mixer.I would really appreciate if y'all can help me out.Here's where I am right now:

I've opened a multi timbral track on Logic with 16 channels.I've loaded Studio Drummer with the 'Out' selected for 16 stereo tracks.I've loaded Studio drummer on Logic's 1st track out of the 16 tracks.On the Output section of Kontakt Player I click on 'Add Channels' & I have added 5 channels showing up with the default name as St1,St2...St5.I also seem to have Aux1..Aux 4 already there by default.( I had trouble getting up to this stage as I did not realize that I need to reload Studio Drummer each time I mad changes for the change to take place.) On the channel strip on Kontakt Output,at the bottom the first channel (St1)is configured to 1/2 by default.On the channel strip named St2 I have it configured to 3/4by selecting St2.Now on the 3rd channel strip in Kontakt output,I click on the bottom tab to configure but on the physical outs dropdown I dont see St3,4,5 but instead I see Surround & Aux lined up.Now here's where I am confused.What does this 'Physical out's' actually refer too? Does 1/2 or 3/4 refer to midi channels?( If so I'm not sure how midi channels fit in since I am using just 1 instrument-Studio Drummer.)

Anyway's that aside I just randomly pick some Aux outs on the other Kontakt channel strips.I go to the Mixer tab on Studio Drummer & assign kick to St2,Snare to St3 & hihats to St 4 & to my amazement I see them all come on the chosen channel outputs on Kontakt Player's mixer.So far so good but I still dont understand why I dont see St3,St4 & St 5 as physical outs in the channel configuration window of Kontakt although I added it in the 'Add channel' tab???

Now on the Logic side I click on the + tab on the channel strip & add 4 aux strips.I play the track & hear all instruments coming through the first track on the Logic mixer & then I see the Bass drum on Aux 1 of the Logic mixer.But I dont see snare or hi hats coming out on the following channels !!!

I guess I have made myself as clear as I could.Can someone please tell me where I am going wrong.The basic idea behind this is to get each drum instrument on separate tracks on Logic so I can add those awesome effects which the Kontakt mixer does not have. Please help.

I'll answer you tomorrow. U seem to have gone nearly all the way there but are still missing something. I'm looking at this on my iPhone (how did I get an email about this? Cool). This wee note is just to let you know I'll be thinking about and try to help you out soon

Cheers

db

Any replies?

For the sake of the readers who might be able to help you, go back and edit your original post by numbering each step taken.

1. Loaded 16 channel multi timbal instrument in Logic

2. the next step

3. the one after that.

Problem is for the reader, your post is presented as a dense paragraph of steps you've taken plus questions.

Long story short, I think the missing step is to select all of the aux channels (that are assigned to Studio Drummer discrete outputs ) in Logic's mixer, then in the local Option menu in the mixer select: Create Arrange Tracks for Selected Channel Strips

Also when assigning outputs in Kontakt, if the next choice is Sur 5.1 -1, Sur 5.1-2 , Sur5.1-3 etc. just select the next on in the sequence e.g. St 2 -1, St 2-2 , sur 5.1-1, sur 5.1-2 etc

Please add your Logic version and system info to your signature. rules.php #5

Thanks guys.Thankfully I have got things sorted out now.I found the issue was due to the fact that I loaded Studio drummer & then try to do the settings.I should have first set up Kontakt player outs,as someone suggested in one of the forums,& then loaded SD & done the settings.I've got it working like it should.I now have 5 Aux channels playing 5 of the SD instruments & I am able to access the same Aux channels on Logic with induvidual instruments & it sure makes a big difference.I only hope that in the final mixdown the Aux channels dont get ignored by any chance.

My big question now is if I would be able to convert the Aux channels on Logic into stereo Tracks & be able to send the instrument data which I have split up in these channels as audio waves.By doing this I would have the Bass drum,Snare,hats etc on separate Logic tracks as opposed to mere Aux channels .I remember seeing something like this on Youtube. So do let me know if this is possible.

My big question now is if I would be able to convert the Aux channels on Logic into stereo Tracks & be able to send the instrument data which I have split up in these channels as audio waves.By doing this I would have the Bass drum,Snare,hats etc on separate Logic tracks as opposed to mere Aux channels .I remember seeing something like this on Youtube. So do let me know if this is possible.

You could bus the outputs of the aux channels and then set the inputs of audio tracks to those buses and record real time...

or, Track > Bounce Track in Place and select "Include Instrument Multi-Outputs with the "As additional tracks" option checked.

J.

In terms of drum tracks, another approach I use is to have one software instrument track for my MIDI drum loop (hey, I play MIDI guitar, not drums :wink: ) assigned to Kontakt loaded with SD. (Honestly, the internal processing of SD sounds so good I generally use it as a stereo output instrument vs multi-output as my efforts at processing don't improve things much. :P )

But anyway, I would:

1. load a multi output version of Kontakt in Logic,

2. go through the process of assigning discrete outputs inside Kontakt

3. assign the SD drum kit voices to these separate outs

4. create as many aux channel strips in Logic's mixer as needed

5. assigned the aux cs inputs to the various Kontakt outputs

So one Arrange SI track, but a mixer with several aux cs for discrete outputs.

SDm.o.png.589280dee4ffa7ef9f2d616d83177c73.png

5. assigned the aux cs inputs to the various Kontakt outputs

So one Arrange SI track, but a mixer with several aux cs for discrete outputs.

Please let me know what you meant by Auz cs.

I had actually thought that SD mixer by itself was good enough but when i assigned each instrument to Logic & added Logic's EQ & compression it sounded awesome -Thick & warm.I need to try the same with Battery now.I got a recent update of battery for Studio drums & don't know what it is all about.Got to check on that.

• 1 month later...

You can watch my solution on the Youtube